MOT Sat - New Tyres needed for Ibiza FR 1.9 TDi

m4rtin

Dec 6, 2004
Northwich, Cheshire
Hi All,

Booked my MOT for Saturday today and checked my tyres tonight, front ones are low although I doubt they are a failure thought it best to change before it goes in just to be sure.

I normally use event tyres or e tyres (both mobile who come to work and I have used before). Tonight I went on to check a price for 2 Goodyear Eagle F1 GSD3s which I currently have on all round and like. The problem is it seems they have either stopped making them (I know they did this for large sizes some time ago) or simply there is a lack of stock, I'm unsure which it is but as I need the new tyres in a next few days it means I will have to get something else instead.

Using both companies websites and selecting my tyre size (205/45/R16) it looks like I have the choice of the following (without spending alot):

1) 205/45R16 87V FALKEN ZIEX ZE912 XL
2) 205/45R16 87Y KUMHO KU39
3) 205/45R16 83V UNIROYAL RAINSPORT 2
4) 205/45R16 83W PIRELLI PZERO NERO

I've read reviews on www.tyrereviews.co.uk and it seems for each tyre there are people who rate them and people who don't.

Would be great to here from anyone who has got these on there car at the moment. Hopefully you will be able to help me make a decision.

Cheers

Martin

Bondiblu

Enthusiast
Mar 18, 2007
Cheshire
After reading a few good reviews I had some Hankook Evo V12's fitted this weekend, replacing PZERO NERO's on the front. It's only been a few days, but seem much better than the Pirelli, especially when it comes to road noise.

m4rtin

Dec 6, 2004
Northwich, Cheshire
Rainsport 2's all the way, love them and if you search on here others do too, someone just did a rave review of them recently.:)

Thanks Steatmann, I have read good things about these tyres, but some of the bad things I've heard are...

1) Soft sidewalls so the car rolls
2) They wear out quickly

Did you find these issues at all?

Cheers

Martin

m4rtin

Dec 6, 2004
Northwich, Cheshire
After reading a few good reviews I had some Hankook Evo V12's fitted this weekend, replacing PZERO NERO's on the front. It's only been a few days, but seem much better than the Pirelli, especially when it comes to road noise.

Cheers Bondiblu - don't think I can get these in my size, the only Hankook ones that I can see for my size are Hankook Ventus K110

Martin

Ol' Timer

Jun 20, 2004
Norfolk
Cheers Bondiblu - don't think I can get these in my size, the only Hankook ones that I can see for my size are Hankook Ventus K110

Martin
I have had 205/45/R16 Hankook Evo V12s on my FR TDi for the past year. Very good all round tyres which cost £65 per corner fitted from my local fitter. I suspect they have gone up a bit since then.

Nov 6, 2008
Kettering
falkens are good tyres, wear well so far and kind on the wallet.

im much happier with them over the previous set of yokohama parada's and pirellis

lil3520

IBIZA 1.9 TDI SPORT 08
Nov 26, 2006
ALCESTER, WARWICKSHIRE
Kumho ku 39. Had 2 of these fitted on the front on monday. Seemed ok.
Real test was last night in the rain.
Good grip on wet dual carriageway. Good grip on the wet bends on country roads by me.

Hope this helps.

Paid £74.00 a tyre

m4rtin

Dec 6, 2004
Northwich, Cheshire
Kumho ku 39. Had 2 of these fitted on the front on monday. Seemed ok.
Real test was last night in the rain.
Good grip on wet dual carriageway. Good grip on the wet bends on country roads by me.

Hope this helps.

Paid £74.00 a tyre

Cheers. Good to know they are OK ;)

Found out that the KU39s recently got a good review by Austrailian magazine (see link)

http://www.tyrepress.com/News/51/112/22477.html

m4rtin

Dec 6, 2004
Northwich, Cheshire
Of the ones listed, I'd have the RainSport 2s.

Dunlop Sportmaxx are also very good, might be worth seeing if you can get those?

Cheers for the info mate.

RainSport 2 seems to be winning the recommendation at the moment and they came 2nd overall in the 2010 EVO Tyre Test!

The only think I am slightly concerned about is a few people have commented that they have weak side walls so they roll and that there wear quickly - but then again some people haven't menioned these things at all.

Blanco92

www.racedriversinc.com
Apr 11, 2010
Bournemouth/Cheshire
The sidewalls do seem a little flexible, but as my car is not a trackday fling, it's just for the roads with the odd spirited drive, I've yet to really have a problem with the sidewalls.

dalegolf215

UNbanned
Jun 3, 2010
Rov'rum
The goodyears are on backorder and have been for ages now. I'm runnin rainsports on mine (same size) and can't fault them at all

m4rtin

Dec 6, 2004
Northwich, Cheshire
Thanks for all your help everyone.

I think any of the tyres would have probably been OK given everyones feedback, but as the most amount of people said Rainsport 2s I have ordered them and there being fitted today. :)

Jim H

Mar 6, 2009
Teesside
You've got the same size as my car (Furby vRS). When my Toyos wore out (after 13k miles) in March I replaced them with Rainsport 2s. I have become to like them.

My MOT is soon and I think my rear tyres are at 2mm are so, although strangely they are GSD3s too. So I'm therefore after some new ones. I'm tempted to go for Uniroyals again, or maybe Kumhos.

I see you've gone for Rainsports, Where did you buy them from?

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.