MP3 CDs - 09 Leon

richardtank

Sep 19, 2009
Hi all! I've been a stalker on here for some time (since I was looking for a new car!) and now it's my time to ask a question!

I picked up my new Leon a few weeks ago and I'm loving it! Only things I have a gripe with are the rear wiper (which doesn't work!) need to get it booked in! and the CD player.

In my old car I had a headunit which could play MP3 CDs so I sort of know what I'm doing.

With my MP3 CDs it seems selective about the file it chooses to play and not play. The majority work fine, however, there are some where it will display the name and artist on the screen for a good 5 seconds and then give up and move to the next track. It seems as if it doesn't like it!
The last disc I made I ensured that all songs were the same format, bitrate (constant) and stereo mode- All to no avail. It just seems as if some songs still don't like to play! I just can't work it out!
With the Leon (well I suppose it's a similar system in the current SEAT range) is there some restriction on the sort of MP3 it will play? How long the file name is? size? I've read the manual but can find no mention of it really.

Oct 17, 2006
Mid Wales
I can't say I've ever had any issues.

I burn all my MP3's using iTunes and they're all at 128 kbps. ANy files that have long names simply appear cut off on the head unit.

My initial thought when reading your intro was that maybe you had some in an obscure bit rate or similar, but it seems you have that covered.

What software are you using to produce the discs and also can you access the problem tracks from your PC ok? Finally, are you arranging the songs in folders on the discs and is there any pattern as to what won't play - ie. all of one folder etc?

Pheo

Sep 11, 2009
I can't say I've ever had any issues.

I burn all my MP3's using iTunes and they're all at 128 kbps. ANy files that have long names simply appear cut off on the head unit.

My initial thought when reading your intro was that maybe you had some in an obscure bit rate or similar, but it seems you have that covered.

What software are you using to produce the discs and also can you access the problem tracks from your PC ok? Finally, are you arranging the songs in folders on the discs and is there any pattern as to what won't play - ie. all of one folder etc?

How do you burn yours in iTunes? I did this the other day, asking it to create an MP3 CD, the car then reported CD Error...

Should I have chosen a data CD perchance?

wobblelino

Feb 7, 2008
Herts
hello,

In itunes you need to change the preferences in the advanced bit to mp3. You then need to burn only mp3s to this disc. To do this you need to essentially convert tracks from their original format to mp3s.

I can;t quite remember how I did it but think it's under convert (or soemthing of that ilk) in itunes.

Apologies don't have itunes on work computer.

Hope this helps,

wobs

Pheo

Sep 11, 2009
My music library is all MP3s, so I'm not sure what is going wrong with iTunes. Also the dialog you mention has moved in iTunes v9.x

richardtank

Sep 19, 2009
Hi,
Thanks for all your replies!
The CD surface is free of scratches, I have tried different bitrates as well.

I do use folders, but there doesn't seem to be a pattern as you suggest with one specific folder not working. The tracks that don't play in the car are absolutely fine on the computer. I use MediaMonkey to burn my CDs- Its worked fine with other head units and most tracks play absolutely fine.

The thing that confuses me is that these tracks do not play on any of the CDs I have tried (tried 3 different ones) and it's always the same tracks- Which basically leaves me thinking it must be something about that track.

I'll have to continue investigating!

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.