MP3 FM transmitter

danny20vt

going back to basics
I've been thinking about getting an FM transmitter now I've got a phone which can holds loads of music, it won't really be used for the car that often as I prefer the engine/exhaust noise, what I will be using it for is when I'm at work in the lorry or van, so spot on quality isn't so much of an issue, a headphone to cassette adaptor is out as some of the newer vehicles have CD players. Has anyone has any experiences, good or bad, of these transmitters (3.5mm h/phone jack required) also any recommendations on which ones to consider would be appreciated.

Mikey-S

I've got one. It's in the kitchen drawer somewhere, basically because when you're on the move the quality is p*ss poor, lots of interference. I guess for the garage/workshop it would be fine. Any will do as they all do the same job, so I'd just buy a cheapie from ebay, but you're looking for something with a lot of frequencies, that'll give you more chance to find a frequency that isn't used in your area.

Feb 26, 2009
Wolverhampton
I have exactly the same experience as mikey-s, it sucked big time. Way back in the nineties my friend had a cd changer that actually plugged into the FM aerial lead, that was remarkably good quality for what it was and I expected the same from the transmitters. But the difference is multicoloured glow-in-the-dark chalk and rancid mouse-killing cheese. Even the more expensive transmitters don't seem much better.

I'm also not convinced it was to do with the frequencies already being used, as I had a selection of eight and they were all bad!

I guess any permanent mods won't work if you're looking to be able to move it from one van to the next?

DPJ

Dec 13, 2004
NN Yorks / Salento
www.seatcupra.net
I've got a Cygnett one that I bought about 18 months ago. Cost me about £35. Large range of frequencies on the ipod screen. Had no problems with it and still use it in the house occasionally. It eats the ipod battery though.

TwoZeroAlpha

Diesel Powered
Jan 2, 2010
Colchester
I picked up a cheapo chinese job on ebay a while back "songbird" it was called. Runs on 2aaa batts or from a cigarette lighter adaptor. Works ok and quality good enough. Also got a belkin ipod fm adaptor and it's *&^%. Keeps dropping out (music goes quiet so it assumes powersave) and changes frequency every time you switch the damned thing on. If you can get a fixed frequency one (should be about 4 different freq's on the unit) your life will be easier.

NI3K

Nov 19, 2009
I have an n97 and fm transmitter comes as standard, very good phone!

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.