MP3 / Music Play & Streaming Options on Mk3 Leon

Sep 17, 2019
Hi All,

I'm currently in the market for a 2015/2016 Leon FR Technology (184 TDi).
I love my music and currently I use the AUX-In interface (on an aftermarket head unit) on an older model Seat Ibiza. This way I am able to play MP3's from my android phone and stream from the Spotify/Soundcloud/TuneIn, etc apps.

I believe that in the MK3 Leons, AUX-In is not an option. So, using either Bluetooth or the USB interface, will I still be able to stream from Spotify/Soundcloud/TuneIn and play MP3's stored on my android phone.
If so, can I use the headunit controls to search & play for Albums/Artisits/Tracks, Skip tracks, etc. or can I only do this using the phone itself. Is this the case for both MP3 playback and streaming apps?

I read that "Android Auto" is the way to go, but "Android Auto" feature is not available on the earlier (2013-2016) MK3 Leon models. Does anyone know what month/year model Leon's are available with the "Android Auto" feature.

Thanks in advance.
Declan.

Wastedagen

Aug 3, 2017
Milton keynes
I have the 2014 Leon mk3 with the mk1 head unit with Easy Connect only, and I am able to use my phones Bluetooth on this to stream my mp3's (via poweramp), and stream from my Amazon Music account no problem. Both these methods or playing music shows the ID Tag info , file name etc on the display and use the steering wheel controls no problem.

So I would've thought you'd have no issues with the newer model car and head unit.....

Reactions: vtecdec

Shaady

Jan 25, 2017
Mine is a 2016 plate registered in April of that year and it has full link and Android Auto on it. I think it might be 2016 that it came in so you might get lucky and find one with it

Reactions: vtecdec

KXL

KXL
Dec 15, 2016
London, UK
If you really love your music, then get a 16GB or so SD card, put all your music there, and put it in SD Card slot 2 in the glove compartment and you have a 16GB Jukebox! But if streaming only, I believe there is bluetooth, or under the climate unit, there should be a place with 2 USB, and 1 Aux in 3.5mm.

Reactions: Bedlam and vtecdec
Sep 17, 2019
I have the 2014 Leon mk3 with the mk1 head unit with Easy Connect only, and I am able to use my phones Bluetooth on this to stream my mp3's (via poweramp), and stream from my Amazon Music account no problem. Both these methods or playing music shows the ID Tag info , file name etc on the display and use the steering wheel controls no problem.

So I would've thought you'd have no issues with the newer model car and head unit.....

Thanks Wastedagen.
So I assume I can use the USB interface with 'Easy Connect', therefore using the USB connection to charge the phone battery too.
This 'Easy Connect' feature, its that enabled/activated by default on all Leon MK3 models, both with Easy Connect Generation 1 and Generation 2 units.
According to this Video:

'Full Link' is not activated in this 2016 Mk3 Leon with Easy Connect Generation 2 (In this particular case)

Its a pity there is no 'Sticky' forum page for this topic. There are so many options, Seat 'Easy Connect', Full Link, Anrdoid Auto, MirrorLink, Carplay, MIB1 v's MIB2, etc. Very confusing.

Thanks

Sep 17, 2019
If you really love your music, then get a 16GB or so SD card, put all your music there, and put it in SD Card slot 2 in the glove compartment and you have a 16GB Jukebox! But if streaming only, I believe there is bluetooth, or under the climate unit, there should be a place with 2 USB, and 1 Aux in 3.5mm.

Thanks KXL.

I believe that the USB and Aux-In Interface option (positioned in the Center Console) only came in 2016 and later Leon Mk3 models. Before 2016, the USB and SD Card Interfaces are in the Glove Compartment. Aux-In doesn't seem to be an option on pre-2016 UK Spec Models.

Wastedagen

Aug 3, 2017
Milton keynes
Thanks Wastedagen.
So I assume I can use the USB interface with 'Easy Connect', therefore using the USB connection to charge the phone battery too.
This 'Easy Connect' feature, its that enabled/activated by default on all Leon MK3 models, both with Easy Connect Generation 1 and Generation 2 units.

Thanks

Don't get hung up on the term 'Easy Connect'. I think it's just a flashy way of saying you can connect via Bluetooth or USB....... It's no easier or harder to connect than any other android/Bluetooth device.

You can plug a hdd or flash drive into the USB socket and it'll read folders and music files no problem.

But if you plug you phone into the USB socket it won't find or play any music files... We'll it doesn't on mine. But it will charge your phone. Albeit slowly as its only a 1A USB socket.

Therefore I connect using Bluetooth and stream my music, while charging the phone from the ciggy socket...

Since you like music, and I'm not teaching you to suck eggs here, streaming via Bluetooth will only use the standard SBC codec. So if you have any *.flac files etc, they'll just be down converted to a lower quality, around 328 kbps, for Bluetooth.

For the highest quality music, on a mk1 head unit, I use my second spare sd card slot with *.m4a files encoded at 384 kbps. Any higher bitrate and my unit won't play them. Of course you can always convert you *.flac files to CD and use that, but who uses cd's anymore... Lol

With all that said, there so much road noise in the car super high quality music is probably not necessary. But it's all personal preference.