My car is broke :( Opinions

clarkeg

Jul 27, 2008
Armagh, N. Ireland
Well this morning I was driving into work (about 50 meters left) and I pushed on the accelerator pedal and heard a "pop" noise then the car became slightly louder. I immediately thought it was the exhaust had blown a hole so I parked it up and thought nothing of it.

This evening started up, same slightly louder noise but when I went to drive off I had no power what so ever. The car is shuddering really badly, revs are jumping up and down when I try to accellerate, no power really rough running engine (no warning lights at all). My local seat dealership are very close so I drove it down to them (kept it at a max of 30mph), at the start of the drive there were bursts of blue smoke but then they went away and then random black smoke was coming out the back of the exhaust. When I opened up the bonet the loud noise is definately coming from the engine somewhere.

Hopefully seat will look at it tomorrow and it's still under warranty until June so fingers crossed this problem is covered.

My car is a 2.0 TDI 140bhp.

Thanks
Clarke

jdearden

don't wanna sound to negative but blue smoke at start up means excess of oil is being burnt usually, piston rings leaking..the fact you're getting some severe juddering etc means could be something serious..how are your levels under the hood? Did the car limit itself to a certain speed? sounds something internal and piston related imo...well the best of luck.

Its never nice having car troubles.

clarkeg

Jul 27, 2008
Armagh, N. Ireland
don't wanna sound to negative but blue smoke at start up means excess of oil is being burnt usually, piston rings leaking..the fact you're getting some severe juddering etc means could be something serious..how are your levels under the hood? Did the car limit itself to a certain speed? sounds something internal and piston related imo...well the best of luck.

Its never nice having car troubles.

Cheers for the replies guys, hopefully i'll get a phone call from Seat to say they've found what the problem is and that they will fix it under warranty. I know what you mean by the blue smoke I knew it wasn't a good sign :( I don't know if it had a limit on it I only had to drive about a mile to the dealership and I didn't go over 30mph, I checked my oil level and all was grand.

clarkeg

Jul 27, 2008
Armagh, N. Ireland
Well just an update, my local dealership rang me this afternoon, the mechanic has found the problem, it's a split intercooler pipe and the intercooler housing is cracked so they have ordered up the new parts and hopefully will be fitted tomorrow, all under warranty.

Hopefully that fixed it.

Clarke

clarkeg

Jul 27, 2008
Armagh, N. Ireland
Well my car has been fixed :) Ended up replacing the intercooler, the intercooler pipe and the turbo pipe and also regased the aircon :) all done under warranty :)

Clarke

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members