My gearbox is fooked

Syphon

Site Owner
Staff member
Feb 28, 2002
South West
www.seatcupra.net
Following on from this thread here: http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=39661&highlight=crunch

Just taken the Leon to the dealer as over the last two weeks it has been crunching when changing from 2nd to 3rd when giving it some stick.

Went out with the service manager and he said that they have a Leon Cupra in at the moment having the same problem. It seems that the syncro mesh had gone. Upon driving mine he said it seems to be the same thing.

They will need the car for three days max to dismantle the gearbox to see what parts need replacing, order them, and fit them. :(

All under warranty thankfully. I have asked them to check the condition of the clutch as well while it is all apart.

The car has done 27,000 miles and is two years old this month. I wonder how many other Leon boxes could be heading this way? :(

Scott

Last edited:

badlydrawnbanan

cholangio carcenoma doh !
Bummer sorry to hear that SCott :( I to will be without my car for several days from the 16th as its going in for bodywork repairs and the damn things only a year old ! ho hum thats the price for living and working in London I guess

cheers Mark.

F2 Stu

I. Am. Legend.
Oct 4, 2001
Crawley, UK
Visit site
badlydrawnbanan said:
Bummer sorry to hear that SCott :( I to will be without my car for several days from the 16th as its going in for bodywork repairs and the damn things only a year old ! ho hum thats the price for living and working in London I guess

cheers Mark.

..........and living in Upper Belverdere :D

-=Rob=-

Beer or Car?
Dec 14, 2002
South West
Visit site
Scott - sorry to hear about your g/box, good job it's covered on warranty else it could be a bit expensive, still hassle you don't need mind you..... :thumbd:

Slightly off topic - but I thought I saw your car this afternoon at Holders, parked out the back.. I was passing through and thought I'd have a quick nose around the forecourt to see whats on sale, the girlfriend's after a Beezer Cupra :thumbup:

CupraR-Rog

Just Cruising...
Jul 19, 2003
West Somerset
Visit site
The Fiat Ducato / Peugeot Boxster / Citroen Relay van chassis had problems with 3rd gear synchromesh failing mainly on motorcaravan chassis use - although this was not restricted to any one coachbuilt body type...

The synchro was known to fail as early as 1000 miles, or you could be lucky and it not happen.

With my father's 'van, we bought it with 9000 miles on the clock, and had the gearbox re-built at 18000 miles, 27000 miles... sold it shortly after that!!!

Fiat / Petgeot / Citroen tried blaming everything under the sun for the fault, apart from driver abuse when it was realised how many were failing, and some before the vehicle was even run-in!!

"Fixes" involved...
Different viscosity oil
Re-designed Synchromesh
Different drainage paths for the windscreen (into the inner wing cavity!!)

The symptoms for this failure normally came on gradually - you would get used to changing into 3rd slower and slower, to the point where the engine revs had dropped to idle before engaging the gear, but even then things would get so bad that you simply couldn't use 3rd gear because there was no way to stop it crunching on selection (if you could get it in gear at all!!)

I sincerely hope that the LC's and LCR's aren't going to start getting the same problems!!!

Cupramax

Uber pimp meister
Aug 1, 2001
Bizzarely mine has stopped doing it during the hot weather we've been having so we'll see how it goes with the new oil. Getting rid soon me thinks... :( Sorry to here your having problems Scott...

Syphon

Site Owner
Staff member
Feb 28, 2002
South West
www.seatcupra.net
rob.slader said:
Slightly off topic - but I thought I saw your car this afternoon at Holders, parked out the back.. I was passing through and thought I'd have a quick nose around the forecourt to see whats on sale, the girlfriend's after a Beezer Cupra :thumbup:

That was you was it! I was in the showroom waiting to be seen and I saw you pull up in your Cupra. 1.8T inside sticker on the back?

You wandered over and had a look around and then left. I thought about popping out to say hello but didn't want to seem like a psycho.

I should have now. Doh!

Scott

-=Rob=-

Beer or Car?
Dec 14, 2002
South West
Visit site
Syphon said:
That was you was it! I was in the showroom waiting to be seen and I saw you pull up in your Cupra. 1.8T inside sticker on the back?

You wandered over and had a look around and then left. I thought about popping out to say hello but didn't want to seem like a psycho.

I should have now. Doh!

Scott

Yeah thats my car - I didn't realise you were actually there at the time, would have hung about and had a natter. Just saw your car around the back, your wheels need a clean mind you!!! :whistle:

I'll keep an eye out for a psycho driving a black LCR next time up that way, I'll wave or maybe leg it if I see you :roflmao:

Oh and If you see an Ibiza Cupra at Holders for sale, give me a shout.
:cheers:

Syphon

Site Owner
Staff member
Feb 28, 2002
South West
www.seatcupra.net
rob.slader said:
Yeah thats my car - I didn't realise you were actually there at the time, would have hung about and had a natter. Just saw your car around the back, your wheels need a clean mind you!!! :whistle:

I'll keep an eye out for a psycho driving a black LCR next time up that way, I'll wave or maybe leg it if I see you :roflmao:

Oh and If you see an Ibiza Cupra at Holders for sale, give me a shout.
:cheers:

Will do. Just had two new tyres on the front, so the wheels are covered in white gunk. Car does need a wash though. Most unlike me. :whistle:

Cheers,

Scott

WileEcoyote

Aug 6, 2001
Hemel Hempstead
Visit site
Syphon said:
Following on from this thread here: http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=39661&highlight=crunch

Just taken the Leon to the dealer as over the last two weeks it has been crunching when changing from 2nd to 3rd when giving it some stick.

Went out with the service manager and he said that they have a Leon Cupra in at the moment having the same problem. It seems that the syncro mesh had gone. Upon driving mine he said it seems to be the same thing.

They will need the car for three days max to dismantle the gearbox to see what parts need replacing, order them, and fit them. :(

All under warranty thankfully. I have asked them to check the condition of the clutch as well while it is all apart.

The car has done 27,000 miles and is two years old this month. I wonder how many other Leon boxes could be heading this way? :(

Scott

Bugger,
I think that mine is doing exactly the same
Its only 2nd to 3rd and only at high revs if you try to change reasonably quickly
get a bit of a crunch.
If you change gear with a laboured change its OK

Are these the same symptoms?

O3 Cupra R

Johnsey

SNAFU
Dec 23, 2003
Here & There
www.google.com
WileEcoyote said:
Bugger,
I think that mine is doing exactly the same
Its only 2nd to 3rd and only at high revs if you try to change reasonably quickly
get a bit of a crunch.
If you change gear with a laboured change its OK

Are these the same symptoms?

O3 Cupra R
That's what I get, got it again today when I was playing with a Beemer :whistle:

Fl@pper

Back older greyer and less oilier but always hope
Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
when i mentioned clutchless bike gearchanges you didnt try it out did you ;)

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members