My Ibiza 1.8 20v T FR [Updated 24-02-2012]

Andy25

Apr 17, 2011
Newcastle Upon Tyne
I've had the car almost 3 weeks now so I guess I should be making a readers ride thread by now!

I bought the car from a fellow forum member, and I'm very pleased with it so far!

The car is a 2006 (56 plate) Blackmagic FR with 23,500 miles on the clock and is in pretty mint condition bar one tiny dent in the front near-side wing which is only visible in some light, most of the time I can't even see it when looking for it to show people!

I don't have any pictures of it as of yet but I'm going to try and get some over the weekend once I've given it a bit of a wash :)

Car has been on the RR and is running 198.8bhp, got the graphs in the glove box so will get them out at some point to stick more details on.

I haven't done anything to it yet, but I get paid tomorrow so let the modding begin! :drool:

Current Mods:
AP Coilovers
Forge DV
Open Cone Air Filter
Stage 1 Map
Heko Wind Deflectors
2.5" Milltek Turbo Back System
Custom FMIC
Forge TIP

Planned Mods:

Performance
2.5" Turbo Back Exhaust System [FITTED]
Front Mount [FITTED]
Forge TIP [FITTED]
4 Bar FPR [BOUGHT]
Silicone Hoses (Not sure if this is classes as performance or not, but I hear some are restrictive!)
Eventually, stage 2 Map

Handling
312mm Brake Upgrade
Front Strut Brace
RARB

Styling
Heko Wind Deflectors [FITTED]
Flip Key [DONE]
Colour Coded Mirrors (The mirrors have been repainted black, but the paint job isn't brilliant)

Other
Cruise Control (Havn't checked my port yet, but this is only a side thought)

I have a few concerns about some of my planned mods, so I'll have to look into a few things before I get down to spending my monies!

Exhaust - I have a friend who has made exhausts in the past. He made a 3" turbo back full stainless exhaust for another friend of mine and I must say it looked like a work of art! He charged £450 for that so I'm hoping that If he makes me one, it may come in around the £400 mark. Can anyone advise any alternative exhausts which may come in at a price somewhere close to this? And if you've got one, let me know! :)
[Solved] - Decided to go with the off-the-shelf and bought myself a Milltek turbo back :)

FMIC - My car has both fog lights, and headlight jet washers, both of which I've heard can or will cause problems when it comes to fitting a front mount, something I'm going to look into as I'd be surprised if there aren't any custom ones that'd fit. I'd be grateful if anyone could point me in the right direction of a thread, or site!
[Solved] - Bought and fitted a Cupra bumper and removed my headlight washers. Front mount should go on and allow me to get my fogs in too!

4 Bar FPR - I've heard mixed opinions, some people have told me that this isn't needed and won't make a difference. Can anyone give first hand advice of what they think of it?
[Solved] - I've bought one anyway - I'm heading down the route of a custom stage 2 map anyway, so I'll just see what John at BFT has to say and if he advises the 4 bar FPR, then on it goes!

Cruise Control - As I mentioned, I'm not sure if I'll definitely go ahead with this, it's something I'd probably like to have for when I have to use my car to travel to / from work. I haven't checked if I have a 6Q0, 6Q1 or 6Q2 port yet though so I'm not even sure if this can be done!

I'm sure I've missed things off the list, so I'll update it as and when I remember :)

Thanks for reading!

Last edited:

wenman

Red Ibiza 1.8T
Mar 28, 2009
Cheshunt
Your plans sound good mate, to be fair if you can have a turbo back exhaust made to how you want it for £400 I would go for it!
A Milltek with a decat down pipr will come in at around £450, so it's up to you!
I'm sure there is a thread in the MK4 FAQ about the FMIC that should answer your question with that one.
Looking forward to pics :)

Random1989

FR MAD
Feb 9, 2010
cleckheaton
i custom made a fmic for my mk4 20vt at first it couldn't have the fog light but now done some pipe mods and and now i can, just havent got round top buying some facelift fog lights yet. 4 bar fpr is needed for stage 2 awesome gti told me to make sure i have one for it.

Andy25

Apr 17, 2011
Newcastle Upon Tyne
i custom made a fmic for my mk4 20vt at first it couldn't have the fog light but now done some pipe mods and and now i can, just havent got round top buying some facelift fog lights yet. 4 bar fpr is needed for stage 2 awesome gti told me to make sure i have one for it.

I read through your RR the other day, I loved some of the stuff you've done!

It was actually your FMIC that I made a note of as I noticed it didn't interfere with the jet washers, although you did say somewhere that you couldn't get fog lights in, now that you're around that issue, I may be in touch when I eventually get around to fitting one if that's ok!

Ok no problem, I've heard they're fairly cheap and easy to get hold of & fit like :)

Andy25

Apr 17, 2011
Newcastle Upon Tyne
Your plans sound good mate, to be fair if you can have a turbo back exhaust made to how you want it for £400 I would go for it!
A Milltek with a decat down pipr will come in at around £450, so it's up to you!
I'm sure there is a thread in the MK4 FAQ about the FMIC that should answer your question with that one.
Looking forward to pics :)

I haven't asked him about it yet for a quote but judging by what he charged my friend, I'd guess around that price range. I'd go for a Miltek or Blueflame or something but I'm not sure if I can justify the extra cost, something to ponder I think!

liam86

i will make you an exhaust for a £20 like . mind you it will be out of toilet roll tubes and ducktape . i have made one for my mk2 and i must say its by far the BEST mod i have done ha ha ha

Random1989

FR MAD
Feb 9, 2010
cleckheaton
I read through your RR the other day, I loved some of the stuff you've done!

It was actually your FMIC that I made a note of as I noticed it didn't interfere with the jet washers, although you did say somewhere that you couldn't get fog lights in, now that you're around that issue, I may be in touch when I eventually get around to fitting one if that's ok!

Ok no problem, I've heard they're fairly cheap and easy to get hold of & fit like :)

yeah no problem mate. no pics of the car yet ?

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members