My LCR jerks when it's cold :(

virdi

Nov 12, 2006
Middlesex
Morning all,

For the last few days - When I start my car up in the morning... for the first couple of mins, the engine seems to hestitate (kinda mis fire) when I apply any gas... it sort of jerks...

I'm sure you get the picture.... has anybody experienced this on their LCR?

Thanks

si-mate

Jai Ho or Jay Ho?
May 31, 2004
Kunt Centryside
Same here. Dealers cleaned the throttle bodies which made it slightly better, but as has been said before it's a characteristic of the 20vt.

virdi

Nov 12, 2006
Middlesex
Thanks guys.... I was thinking this might be because the engine might be 'on choke' kinds thing... hence chucking in more petrol etc..... when cold...

panholio

Jun 26, 2006
Leeds
Mine does this, used to do it a fair bit but had the coolant sensor changed and it improved.

Can be a little jumpy at idle as well sometimes even when warm, nowt like my old Pug though, that used to rock the car!

traumapat

Leon Cupra IHI
Jul 24, 2005
sunny sussex
it gets worse with a bigger turbo, kinda exagerates it. i tend to restart mine once the cold maps finished and its settled back to 800 revs.

it must be linked to the engine temp sensor as mine started to do it when that failed. replaced the sensor but left with this issue ever since

shame i cant swap the sensor with an lc/r known to be free of these problems, see if it cant be narrowed down?

TINCAN

Mar 27, 2006
MK
i always sit and wait for the car to go off choke before pulling away which seems to helps lessen the 'jumpiness' also don't rally it until the temp gets to 90 and it will run a lot better for sure.........

panholio

Jun 26, 2006
Leeds
In reference to "Rallying it when the water temp gets up to 90" it's a shame the Leon doesn't have an oil temp gauge as standard. All performance cars should have these IMO.... It's surprising how long oil takes to heat up after the water temp is reading it's "warm".

I generally make sure if done a good 5 miles before any high rpm action.

Gnollins

Bosh!
Jul 24, 2006
Yarnton, Oxfordshire
Morning all,

For the last few days - When I start my car up in the morning... for the first couple of mins, the engine seems to hestitate (kinda mis fire) when I apply any gas... it sort of jerks...

I'm sure you get the picture.... has anybody experienced this on their LCR?

Thanks

What petrol are you using? I have this problem when I use 95 RON (almost never), but it doesn't happen if I'm running on BP Ultimate or V-Power.

Chris 16v

Nov 10, 2005
Christ - really!!?? Gulp, i should take it easy for at least 5 mins longer than i do currently, i feel bad for giving the poor girl stick now!

panholio

Jun 26, 2006
Leeds
My old GTi-6 had an oil temp gauge. Used to amaze me how long it took to get up to temp! A good 10-15mins, worse in winter as well.

Can't believe manufacturers dont put them in performance cars (certainly a turbo) as standard.

warren_cox

Back from the dead
My old GTi-6 had an oil temp gauge. Used to amaze me how long it took to get up to temp! A good 10-15mins, worse in winter as well.

Can't believe manufacturers dont put them in performance cars (certainly a turbo) as standard.

The new S3 has an oil temperature screen as part of the Driver Information System. Hopefully the new Cupra should have it too. Took 12 minutes in the S3 for the temperature of the oil to settle at around 112 degrees. Alway missed this functionality in the LCR, and just couldn't bring myself to bolt in any more gauges in the pillar beyond a boost.

I never ranted the car before 10 mins as although the water temp gets there in about 4, its very much a false dawn. Mine was a bit unsettled prior to the choke turning off, but I only noticed it after having the 4bar FPR fitted after the Stg 2 conversion. Prior to that it was fine. May be worth checking for air leaks as if the car thinks it needs to supplement with more fuel it could be dousing the spark when cold starting. Might be worth checking the spark plugs if they are due a change.

TINCAN

Mar 27, 2006
MK
good tips thanks..... always left it to after the water temp but sounds like you need to leave it a bit longer.....

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members