My new big boys toy arrived yesterday (FR 184)

dw911

Mar 30, 2013
How badly were yours damaged?
one of mine has a small knock around the bolt hole counter bore, the other is at the rear, been caught on the disc guard or similar, several scratches and knocks. Dealer apologised on behalf of SEAT, but does this damage count as enough?
have touched up what i could.

If the dealer admitted they were damaged and apologised on behalf of Seat, then you shouldn't have much of an issue getting them to sort out the damage.
although I'd probably clean off the touch up you did with some paint thinner before you take the car back, otherwise they might be difficult and say you attempted a repair so you added to the damage or similar wriggling out excuses that some dealers like to use

kevster184

Mar 14, 2015
The latest update of the alloy wheels damage is the salesman is sitting on the fence, mainly because of the way they did the minimum pdi and has referred me to SEAT customer services. He has agreed that it was inspected before the transporter left to the normal standard and that two marks are very small.
Plus e damage to the rear are all unlikely to have been spotted if they did the whole pdi and valet, you really have to remove the wheels to see the rear. They put the centre caps on and plastic bolt caps on, I've spotted one mark the second I've gone to remove them.

Last edited:

pvm1234567890

Mar 10, 2015
Meath, Ireland
So, what does that mean? He's not interested in helping?

I had an issue with the delivery of my car, the dealer suddenly said he was unable to get in touch with the transporter company, and had no idea when the car would arrive. However, once I got in touch with the transporter company myself and also contacted SEAT Ireland, the car magically appeared within half an hour.

The moral of the story, I guess, is dealers are not to be trusted. Once SEAT themselves got involved, it was a different story.

kevster184

Mar 14, 2015
So, what does that mean? He's not interested in helping?

I had an issue with the delivery of my car, the dealer suddenly said he was unable to get in touch with the transporter company, and had no idea when the car would arrive. However, once I got in touch with the transporter company myself and also contacted SEAT Ireland, the car magically appeared within half an hour.

The moral of the story, I guess, is dealers are not to be trusted. Once SEAT themselves got involved, it was a different story.

It's hard to know, I've struck up a good relationship with the salesman but he's a bit mute on this issue! I was hoping for him to be the middleman.

Unfortunately my experiance of other VAG groups customer services is the opposite of you, they are trained to wriggle out of everything any possible way. Maybe SEAT will be better.

I have just emailed customer services, but don't expect to hear too soon. Find this so awkward while working, but I have Friday off and will ring to chase, sometimes it just helps to get your point across to a human voice.

So much for buying a new car to avoid all this s*#t :cry:

kevster184

Mar 14, 2015
So SEAT customer services now have all the information and pictures in regard to the wheel faults. The dealer and i fear their suggestion may well be take it back to the suppling dealer for reification, that's probably a touch up.

Will be intresting what they come back with next week. Getting them to accept responsibility is stage one. Suggesting replacement wheels is stage two. Am I or should i be entitled to this...

Keep you posted.

kevster184

Mar 14, 2015
Had a response from a woman in customer care with an attitude that stunk. She basically called me and the dealers liers. She said if the dealer didn't report any damage within a set time that the dealer takes reponsibility. Even if it means taking wheels off that they didn't or never do so. She said I or the dealer need proof it happened prior to delivery to the dealer, said i could have caused it driving home....etc...yawn...etc.

Fed this back to the dealer and their manager is going to complain big time with the attitude of customer services. Not even a suggestion of sorting the wheels, nor appology!

Customer care, more like upset the customer and make them unhappy.

kevster184

Mar 14, 2015
Yep. Will await dealer complaint response first. Delt with VW before no doubt just a few desks down the same office!

Last edited:

kevster184

Mar 14, 2015
So update on this horrible wheels saga, I'm middle man between dealer and customer care manager.

Garage offered a 'touch up' Errrr no!!!

Customer care say there 'are no warrantable defects present on your vehicle' even after I poopooed their first decline.

Back to the dealer, they say they had two hours (as per every car) once the car is delivered to them to check it over. Now although they didn't do the full pdi, they did up wheels bolts and what else was required. At this point responsibility passes to the dealer.

They also say I had as much time as I wanted to check the car over and are basically saying once I've signed to say it was perfect (can't find this????) and I drive away all responsibility passes to me.

Both are hinting the damage could have come from the drive home. This was 40miles. There it was parked up for days while I cleaned it. Within less than 24 hours I had emailed the damaged to the dealer.

One wheel is clearly manufacturing defect, one is from factory assembly and the other from the torque wrench.

Had the dealer seen it first or I had on the day of pick up this would have been sorted, because I drove away I'm screwed and now untrusted and don't seem to have a leg to stand on.

Since when was a brand new car sold as seen, it was not explained to me once I drive off that's it.

Had I known I would have taken hours to inspect the car and I'm glad nothing else was wrong!

Customer care have washed there hands of it, dealer can't help because they don't want to pay out andnor do I.

I've just about had enough but I'm still left with a brand new car with damaged wheels.

Ocularis

Jan 2, 2015
Northampton
Hmm not good - I guess the damage on the front technically could have happened on the way home, but would have to be pretty unlikely (i noticed a mark on the front of my new ones now, so i guess it can happen). The huge scratches inside is clearly not done by you though unless you removed them with a hammer!

Clearly the dealer or SEAT dont want to be out of pocket so will reject anything they can.

Shame, I guess you can keep making a pest of yourself with the dealer to see if they will do anything but maybe run them into the ground and get them referred at some point in the future?

kevster184

Mar 14, 2015
After 2200 miles now i noticed one recent small chip on a rear wheel. If you assume they happened on the way home they would be covered in damage by now, crazy.

In my heart of hearts i know it was like it and so do they but yes they would be out of pocket. They say if i lived down the road they would have swapped them. So they are being mileist (is that i word) and pricest (no idea either) because i bought online and chose that dealer.

Still want to see this piece of paper saying, once you drive off.......

Granted if I'd written if off on the way home and said oi this was like it before i drove off.

If i was to buy another car tomorrow I'd have to borrow the workshop, use all the tools and spend all day with a magnifying glass to check a car over. That can't be right can it.

As for wheel referb, it is never as good as factory (when they are undamaged)

Last edited:

kevster184

Mar 14, 2015
Latest update, the dealer has agreed to replace the worst wheel as a good will gesture.

When they ask which wheel it is i shall say you tell me....you have 5mins, like i was supposed to inspect them before signing for the car :)

Last edited:

dephead2004

Aug 3, 2013
It might well be the factory. I had a bulge in the bumper from the inside. Long story short and documented elsewhere here, a filler piece had dropped when applying the bumper. Bumper bolted up and bulge evident to me but no-one else......until I insisted. Then the dealer incompetence and obfuscation began. Finally fixed with a new bumper to replace the old bulging one complete with wobbly parking sensor. All from factory but compounded by dealer failings.

kevster184

Mar 14, 2015
So today dealer changed one wheel, the worst one, out of their pocket as a good will gesture. :funk:

Slightly annoying it has 14 stanped on the back not 15. Dealer is so annoyed with SEAT, not one dealer in the whole country would have found this damage. Do SEAT customer care, actually care NO they don't. NO, did i say SEAT don't care, NO they don't give a monkeys and just sh*t on the dealers. At least respect between dealer and I restored.

Be warned. :censored:

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members