My new Formentor produce ticking sound when turning at low speed or stationary

Oct 23, 2023
Hi guys,

I hear ticking sound coming from front (i think) when turning at low speeds (less than 10km/s) or stationary. The sound increases after long trips such as 50-60km and can be heard easily. In the morning, the sound is faint but i hear when i listen carefully. The car is brand new with 2000km and it has been 2-months only. Is it normal ?

Thanks.

Tmat

Jan 26, 2023
Others have experienced different noises when braking or turning at low speeds. Mine was when braking at low speeds. Have you asked where you bought it to investigate?

Karbonfaiba

Jul 9, 2023
Hampshire, UK
There are rhythmic noises from the drivetrain when driving at low speeds, particularly after coming out of CUPRA mode. It has been more noticeable when the car is warm but I've also heard it when cold too.

Dealership doesn't think it's an issue or have said it's a brake calibration feature. It's not always consistent so I'm inclined to believe it's a "characteristic" of the DSC which means Golf 8, Audi S3 should also be making these types of noises, I have yet to research.

I agree it's not nice to hear it occasionally as it can be heard from the inside.

Oct 23, 2023
The tick tick sound comes even if i dont use brakes but it is strange that the sound is rare for short time drives. Maybe it is because of brakes i dont know

Last edited:

JP6

Aug 18, 2012
West Sussex
Mine does this, it’s going in for investigation under warranty at the end of the week, it’s more like a knock for me though.

Oct 25, 2023
Hi guys just thought I'd chime in. Roughly the same mileage too however mine started from week 1 of getting the car.

My V1 has this issue on the passenger side between the door and dashboard from what I can tell. Sounds it's like a vibration coming through the dash just on that side. Been to the dealer and they couldn't replicate the fault so asked me to see if I could replicate it with an engineer in with me, and funny enough it didn't do it. What's the chances ey! They did offer to take another trip out when I'm passing and it's making the noise.

However, on my way home as soon as the car had warmed up (when it went in it was during the storm the UK just had) it soon started again but the dealer had just closed so couldn't go back.

Anywhere between 20-40mph accelerating between 2-3k rpm seems to be most times it happens for me. I'm keen to take it back I'm but work times is in the way atm

JP6

Aug 18, 2012
West Sussex
It would be geat if you let us know if they solve it or not.
Nope they did not! Said they couldn’t get it to reproduce the sound, which to be fair, hasn’t done it since it’s been with them.. so not sure what’s happened there.

Oct 23, 2023
Nope they did not! Said they couldn’t get it to reproduce the sound, which to be fair, hasn’t done it since it’s been with them.. so not sure what’s happened there.
Sorry to hear that. I realised that mine also occurs when i stop on a downhill and do maneuvers especially backward. I will try to record the sound and let you know.

Oct 23, 2023
I consulted service by sending them the video and they said that it could be shock absorber mount making that kind of noise. It could be possible?

Shackattack

Apr 12, 2021
I consulted service by sending them the video and they said that it could be shock absorber mount making that kind of noise. It could be possible?
Thats what mine was, top suspension mount came loose and needed replacing.

Others have mentioned a bonnet joint being loose which seems common

pavol

Jan 19, 2022
Hi guys just thought I'd chime in. Roughly the same mileage too however mine started from week 1 of getting the car.

My V1 has this issue on the passenger side between the door and dashboard from what I can tell. Sounds it's like a vibration coming through the dash just on that side. Been to the dealer and they couldn't replicate the fault so asked me to see if I could replicate it with an engineer in with me, and funny enough it didn't do it. What's the chances ey! They did offer to take another trip out when I'm passing and it's making the noise.

However, on my way home as soon as the car had warmed up (when it went in it was during the storm the UK just had) it soon started again but the dealer had just closed so couldn't go back.

Anywhere between 20-40mph accelerating between 2-3k rpm seems to be most times it happens for me. I'm keen to take it back I'm but work times is in the way atm
Have the same issues with "rattling" sound only when accelerating. It rattles only when ther is engaged gear - e.g. when the gearbox shifts gears the sound stops. I am planning visit to my dealer.

Karbonfaiba

Jul 9, 2023
Hampshire, UK
I'm clearly dealing with a different, mostly minor noise compared to what's been posted by others above.

Some of these more serious issues seem to be steering geometry related; so I would be questioning my track-rod ends, steering knuckle, ball joint, bushings etc. i.e. The sort of things that - if defective - will make a single loud clunk when any sideload is applied. I'm not trying to guess the faulty component! But the point is to discover how to recreate the issue as reliably as possible, then document that on paper for the mechanic to diagnose. Also say if it's intermittent.

Other noises like rattling under particular circumstances (e.g. acceleration) could be anything to do with torque strain; so maybe it's internal to the gearbox, but it could also be rear suspension compression / mounting, engine mounts, inside the differential, drive shaft bearings on AWD models... way more components than I know tbh, always learning!

For noises over road bumps, it's good if you can localize the noise from a vehicle corner with this symptom. If happens in the same area every time, it's easier to ascertain it's something to do with suspension struts / coils / mounts with anything like that.

My own rhythmic noise issue will occur in the absence of bumps, acceleration. Only in deceleration with no steering input - so I've been hoping for the mechanic to use a stethoscope on my bearings, flywheel casing, etc. while the car is lifted and in-gear, some DQ381 DSG troubleshooting perhaps, but really - it's so minor I'm not sure I can even get it recorded at this point. It's intermittent and not getting worse at least.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2023

So it has been back to the dealer on Friday due to it needing a new washer jet. They investigated the noise with a tech in the car with me and it made it numerous times.

On pickup they said they tested another model and it makes the same noise so it's classed as normal unless it gets worse over time. After driving 8-9 different cars I've never had this, especially on a brand new car!

I now have a grinding noise which has started when using full lock (about 80% and above). It's only when moving and turning, when stationary you can't hear it. Has anyone else had this?

I understand cars can have teething problems but doesn't seem to be letting up and can't keep affording to take time off work for it to go in