Mystery exhaust!

pj1985

1.8T Power
Oct 31, 2006
Hampshire/Surrey
When I brought my car it had a stainless cat back exhaust. Now the centre section has split but I have no idea what make it is?!
The back box is oval.
Which exhaust manufacturers make oval design backbox?

Oh and I have done a search already!

mattbolt

Oct 6, 2006
Plymouth
there are a few small companies about that make their own exhausts. they build the boxes pack them etc.

Take it your car doesn't come with any reciepts.

I have been looking around at exhausts and there are just random small companies about that do this, they normally have their own life time warranties.

you might be able to get someone like that the either re weld it up or put a new box in

Last edited:

__B3NNY__

OEM with a 'Twist'
May 5, 2005
Oxford
Supersprint and Blueflame both do ovals.

Oh and powerflow.

There the more branded names that id say ppl are most likly to go for.

__B3NNY__

OEM with a 'Twist'
May 5, 2005
Oxford
I wouldn't go for powerflow tho. Had that on my old car. All sorts of problems

It was just another option as they do oval tailpipes, hes not looking for a recommendation on what exhaust to get.

I hear alot of people say bad things about powerflow, I had one on my old mk2 Cupra had it for 18 months and every thing was still perectly fine when i sold it! No issues at all.

david.

mattbolt

Oct 6, 2006
Plymouth
yeh i had one on my old mk2 cupra too. just had problems with rattles so took it back like 34 times. They then reduced the diameter of the tube because they had trouble getting it over the rear axel.

It also blew in the middle where they joined it (as it was a cat back).

then the company doing it f***ed off.

Still undecided what to get on my new cupra

__B3NNY__

OEM with a 'Twist'
May 5, 2005
Oxford
well for ease and no problems the supersprint is the way to go according to recent posts, Ive got a miltek on mine at the moment i love it now! was abit of a bitch at 1st it went back to the garage once and they made it worse so in the end it was a case of trial and error with me getting under the car and adjusting it, every things spot on now tho, maybe the odd vibration when i have rear passengers and turning right ;)

David.

lunalupi

...is not a bloke!
Jul 29, 2006
Wiltshire
If its powerflow, I think they normally mark their backboxes (mine is anyhow)

I've had a few teething problems with mine, but I was expecting them - dual exit on an Arosa was always going to be fun....

Anyway, I assume you've had a good look for any markings on the backbox? Might be a name stamped on it somewhere.

pj1985

1.8T Power
Oct 31, 2006
Hampshire/Surrey
The problem is the centre section so I'm trying to see if I can work out what make the system is so I can get the replacement section. At the moment its looking like I might have to get a new cat back system though as I have no idea how to identify it!

Nope no receipts with my car...apart from for some matts!

gavthelad

Bring on the Boooooost
Nov 19, 2005
Redditch (Midlands)
I wouldn't go for powerflow tho. Had that on my old car. All sorts of problems

Ive got a powerflow on mine...........The only problem i had was after a while it started knocking, took it back, got it adjusted and fingers crossed........no problems whatsoever.....

I think like its been said before........some places are crap and some aint. I went down to the place and had a look at the blokes work before i made my mind up.

pj1985

1.8T Power
Oct 31, 2006
Hampshire/Surrey
Had the car up in the air again this morning and found a plate on the centre section itself with these numbers on it

XSS03/0
FSA503
D21E10M2

How do I put pics up? If I can borrow a digital cam I'll take some pics. I have been looking for some pics of the oval exhausts but cant find any!

pj1985

1.8T Power
Oct 31, 2006
Hampshire/Surrey
Right just been on the phone to a magnex dealer! They don't even list an exhaust for a mk3 ibiza of any kind. Now my exhaust fits perfectly as it should do and is not welded, bent or at any funny angle at all so I'm guessing it must fit. This cannot be good though as its not designed for a turbo car!

Also do you think I can get anything out of magnex as the centre section has split? Obviously I'm not the original purchaser but it's not been on their that long and should come with a lifetime guarantee!

gavthelad

Bring on the Boooooost
Nov 19, 2005
Redditch (Midlands)
they may turn around and tell you it was never designed for your particular car and in which case id say they wouldnt stump up anything? I know with mine as its custom i have to take it back to the fitter once a year for them to inspect it etc.....they then stamp my certificate which lets the warranty run on, if i fail to take it back its void.........not sure if other companies work this way though..

pj1985

1.8T Power
Oct 31, 2006
Hampshire/Surrey
True but the fit is exactly the same and it looks like it the join between the pipe and box thats failed! No stress on this part either as it's supported both sides!

gavthelad

Bring on the Boooooost
Nov 19, 2005
Redditch (Midlands)
dunno where you stand with taking it off the car either?? They may tell you that you shouldnt have taken it off and that you have caused the damage.....

Things are never what theyre cracked up to be.........excuse the pun.

pj1985

1.8T Power
Oct 31, 2006
Hampshire/Surrey
Hmm...just looked on their website and it says lifetime guarantee for purchaser so it's not looking good but I'll get on their case on monday. At the end of the day the product has a lifetime guarantee that they shout about and has failed although they will wriggle like most companies do!

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.