Mystery Steering Problem

fresh_creps

May 11, 2007
Bedfordshire
Ok I've had this problem a lil while now,it normally happens on my way to or from uni which is about 50 mins drive from my house.Usually starts on the motorway after I've been on it for awhile,I'll lift off the throttle and the steering vibrates and shakes violently and pulls around,but as soon as put my foot back on the throttle it'll stop.

It'll do this for the rest of the journey intermittently,shaking more violently at higher speeds.

Its happens so irregularly its hard to pin it on what it could be,the other day it did the opposite,so when i accelerated it vibrated and when I lifted off it would stop.

Took it to the garage today but because it happens so randomly they couldn't find anything wrong with it,just wondered if any of you had any idea because its getting quite dangerous when it happens on the motorway! sorry for the essay

suj

Wheel Connoisseur
Jan 1, 2009
Birmingham
maybe it only vibrates at certain frequencies/maybe the heat is distrupting something?

as you say its only when you lift off the accelerater, could it be engine mounts? making the front end judder?

fresh_creps

May 11, 2007
Bedfordshire
don't think its at certain frequencies as it normally starts to happen on the motorway,but will carry on even if I'm doing 10/30mph although nowhere near as aggressive. Possibly engine mounts,although dunno why it would affect the steering like this??

suj

Wheel Connoisseur
Jan 1, 2009
Birmingham
well if it is the engine mount it can cause the front end to shake causing the steering vibrations you get what i mean? (i'm not saying it is for certain, just trying to find out what it could be)
could it be wishbones? or even tracking/buckled wheel?

fresh_creps

May 11, 2007
Bedfordshire
yee i see what ya mean,will try have a look.The tracking is out a touch but not enough to cause it to do this I don't think,all the wheels are fine plus I guess it would be doing it all the time if they were buckled.

Strange one ain't it! :( Also does my heater has decided to stop working so it only sends cold air through,easy to fix?

suj

Wheel Connoisseur
Jan 1, 2009
Birmingham
i had a buckle on my astra and it didn't vibrate all the time, only at certain speeds!

check the engine water levels if air is cold first, if its fine, its the heater element!

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.