Nasty burning smell !!

cupramillo

The "Red Baron"
Feb 24, 2008
South London
Hi all,

was driving home last night.... crusing most of the may. Got a nice stretch of open road so booted it in 2nd gear up to about 6k rpm. Had to stop suddenly as the lights just changed red. As the car was stationary for about 1-0-30secs i could smell a nasty burning smell that i can only describe as a rubber smell.But i didnt light the tryes up as the road was wet. Thought nothing of it and had another little rag this time going up a hill, same gear (2nd, same rpm's) and stopped at the lights again and this time the smell was worse.

I can only describe the smell as a burning rubbery smell. The only recent mods i have had done was a blue flame turbo back exhaust.

Did do a search and the only things i could come up with were maybe the exhaust burning the gear linkages? My clutch i think is slipping aswell, it over revs in between changes but when i put it in 5th and floor it it pulls fine.

Any ideas as the smell is making me think all sorts of bad things!

p34ch3y

tastefully modified
Oct 17, 2005
cambs
apart from the exhaust burning the gear linkages have you done the n249 by pass if so it could be that solenoid valve snaped and fell onto the turbo :shrug:

cupramillo

The "Red Baron"
Feb 24, 2008
South London
No i havent got round to doing the bypass yet....you think it could be the linkages then? I do get a rattling sound when i first start it up and sometimes when its warm, sounds like its coming from near the hand break area

gazcuprablk

my 300+ death box :)
Mar 31, 2006
south wales
id say gear linkeges mine done it on the old cupra the rattling could be the exhaust heat shield i noticed in your sig you have a bigger d/p and as that gets hot its prob melted them but mine were still workin fine 2 years on with no difference with changin gear or anythin

cupramillo

The "Red Baron"
Feb 24, 2008
South London
yeh i have the 3' down pipe... i hope anyway... was looking at my old super sprint back box that i had one before the blueflame... i asked them to wrap it up for me as i wanted to keep it and the standard downpipe... unwrapped it last week and i was missing the standard down pipe... so they have either kept it for scrap metal or left it on! Will have a butchers soon.

So if it is the linkages is it a big worry? It was a nasty smell!

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.