Need An Oil Temp Sender

Mat

Where do I get one from? Just rang the number Ganda Cupra gave me, and the guy said that they don't do em for cars and didn't sound all that helpful TBH.

Any ideas people?

Fl@pper

Back older greyer and less oilier but always hope
Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
any local factors really - give em the number off the old one if it's a standard one you want

or just the size/fitting and pressure if it isnt

Last edited:

Mat

it's to attach to the guage that was fitted by last owner.

not looked under the engine where it is. will/should it be near the dipstick? (remember reading a fitting guide other day on the Oil Pressure sender)

Mat

cheers boss. all looked jibberish to me lol

where does it fit? (give me a rough idea), i'm poo with engines - but willingness to learn

__B3NNY__

OEM with a 'Twist'
May 5, 2005
Oxford
If you go the same route as i did, i just replaces your sump plug and you screw your new sender into the new sump plug, excuse to do an oil change while your at it ;)

If you decide the other route you have to remove a blanking plug that screws into the top of your filter housing, its a right pain to get to, i manged to rounf mine off hence the reason i fitted it into the sump, if i knew what i do now i would have removed the inlet manni to do it, it would have made life hell of alot easier.

Mat

ok. think i should find a guide. sounds easy enough, but i wouldn't know where to start looking. At the mo, all I know under the engine is

Battery
Inlet "thingy"
DV
Coil Pack
Washer Fluid
Coolant
Dipstick
Air filter

lol

ask me to point out anything else i'd it's be a wild guess

:cartman:

__B3NNY__

OEM with a 'Twist'
May 5, 2005
Oxford
If your abit worried about attacking this id go the sump plug route.

you know where the sump plug is? (not meant in a sarcastic manner)

Mat

sorry, another question. Say I follow the above guide. Do i need both parts mentioned above or just the sensor?

Mat

If your abit worried about attacking this id go the sump plug route.

you know where the sump plug is? (not meant in a sarcastic manner)

nope :D

but as I said to Ian Cupra other week, I'm actually gonna start learning a bit about engines with this car! In the past I was "scared" of breaking summat, now I wanna give things a go. Kinda did the shocks on last car (only cos I was at my mates, and if it went wrong, he was there :D)

__B3NNY__

OEM with a 'Twist'
May 5, 2005
Oxford
I know exactly how you feel, 2 years on here and ive learnt so much.

If you follow the guide above all your need is the sender.

sump plug is located at the bottom of the engine in the middle, if you get under the car and look at the bottom in the centre you will see a 14mm (IIRC) bolt, and thats your sump plug :)

Mat

sweet.

cheers bud. and I've I do it the sump plug way, I guess I need both parts ;)

__B3NNY__

OEM with a 'Twist'
May 5, 2005
Oxford
Yup, sounds like the extra tenner for the drilled sump plug might be the easier option for you, unless you wanna get hands on and remove you inlet mani.

Mat

nooooo........ don't fancy removing that! will need to look where he fed the wiring to.

ganda_cupra

VW Commercial Technician
Sep 4, 2006
Near Sheffield
The sender is currently near the washer bottle and charcoal filter area.

Strange of Carlton Hydraulics to be like that, there mobile fitter I spoke to when we serviced his van was very helpful, and was positive they'd have something in the shop that would fit it. As I even drew diagrams etc of what I meant. Maybe worth calling in with the sender and showing them what you want. Took me some explaining to the fitter.

Some people have bodged their 3/8" NPT senders into the M10x1 hole in the oil filter housing, with thread lock and sealer. Was never something that I wanted to do though as I wasn't keen on the idea.

Another option I thought about was using a machining shop in Worksop where I had a couple of spigot rings made up for the wheels for £10. Not sure if they'd have been able to do it as never got round to nipping down and asking them.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise