Need An Oil Temp Sender

Mat

The sender is currently near the washer bottle and charcoal filter area.

Strange of Carlton Hydraulics to be like that, there mobile fitter I spoke to when we serviced his van was very helpful, and was positive they'd have something in the shop that would fit it. As I even drew diagrams etc of what I meant. Maybe worth calling in with the sender and showing them what you want. Took me some explaining to the fitter.

Some people have bodged their 3/8" NPT senders into the M10x1 hole in the oil filter housing, with thread lock and sealer. Was never something that I wanted to do though as I wasn't keen on the idea.

Another option I thought about was using a machining shop in Worksop where I had a couple of spigot rings made up for the wheels for £10. Not sure if they'd have been able to do it as never got round to nipping down and asking them.

cheers dude.

will have another chat with them and maybe pop down to em and show them the part.

edit: and this is why you should be a car of a fellow member of an OC, you can always ask them what is what and where things are :D

ganda_cupra

VW Commercial Technician
Sep 4, 2006
Near Sheffield
I'd nip down if you can. A picture or a part in this case tells a thousand words. Its the extra bit of the sender after the threads that causes the problems with getting an adaptor for it.

Mat

still not fitted this on mine yet (i know, almost a year of ownership)....

Don't fancy fitting to sump as I did an oil change a few months back, so no point doin another!

Might opt for the "blanking plug" route. In the link benny posted (http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/products/ProductDetail.asp?cls=MSPORT&pcode=SMITT3005-8N), there's no image. What would I do? Is it like the sump plug where it goes inside another "bolt" or cut off current sensor, and fit a new one?

BTW: IIRC my guages are Prosport. No idea what the fitment is on the current sensor

Cheers

Mat

Mat

sorry to bump an old thread again :D, but I was looking at the sump plug adapter on Deamon Tweeks. Went to purchase it other day, and I refuse to pay £7odd for delivery, so checked local places, and no-one will make one.

A mate suggested getting a standard sump plug and drilling a hole through the middle, and my brother said that someone at hos work could do it.... Now I have an idea that I would need a M10 hole drilling (well, M9 drill, and then thread with a M10 piece)... However, looking at the sendor, my mate thinks it's bigger than M10....

After checking the interwebs, I dound the measurement of the sender here
http://prosportgauges.com/amber-white-60mm-oil-temperature-gauge.aspx

It's 1/8" NPT. Can anyone translate that?

Might just remove bumper etc and plug it in near inlet mani. Not sure which is less hassle. Drilling a sump plug with correct measurement, or removing bumper, inlet etc lol

Jan 8, 2007
Wiltshire
SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise