Need help in deciding please - old or new

Never2muchLeon

Feb 24, 2016
Hi everyone

I'm new to the forum, I'm female and let me say right at the forefront that I am nowhere on the same level as most of you guys seem to be (knowledge and mods wise).

However, I absolutely LOVE my Seat Leon. Actually, I have 2.

I have a 2001 20V Cupra. It was born black but about 6 years ago, was resprayed Frozen White. It looks awesome this colour, probably due to the fact that you don't see any others around where I am in this non-authentic shade.

I bought it in January 2013 with 141,000miles on the clock. In the 3 years I've had it, I've added another 24,000 miles. It is so cool to drive, I love it. Never get sick of it. I paid £2,250 for it (may have been overpriced perhaps but I drove 4 hours to buy it because it drew me in).

I've spent roughly £3,000 at the mechanics on it in the 3 years. Cambelt, brakes, clutch, exhaust etc.

Unfortunately, it's now succumbing to rust in the wheel arches, a touch in the bonnet, and along the sills. I've taken it to a reputable body shop and it's going to cost the best part of £2,000 to have the rust cut out properly, and resprayed to get her looking swish again.

The sensible part of me decided it wasn't right to spend that amount of money on a 16 year old car with 165,000 miles on the clock. So last week, I went out and bought a totally authentic 2005 red Leon FR, with only 61,000 miles on the clock. She is in gorgeous condition, but as I said, stock standard. 17" wheels etc.

My problem? I just cant bring myself to sell my white 2001 Cupra. There is no doubt that driving the red FR is just like being in the Cupra (exhaust not as beefy sounding but that's only difference drive wise), but I just cannot seem to get excited about the FR. I think because it doesn't have the individuality of the Cupra.

What do I do? I cannot keep both (for many reasons!). I guess my question is should I:

(a) Re-sell the 2005 red Leon FR and just get the Cupra spruced up; or
(b) Make the "authentic" Leon FR modified by changing the front bumper, grill and rear bumper and possibly some bigger wheels and lower profile typres, to give it a bit more of an aggressive look?

The problem is, one of the BIG things that drew me to the Cupra was the colour, and that it wasn't standard issue. IMO it looks awesome in the frozen white and for me personally, much nicer than the red.

But 100,000 mileage difference, is a lot to ignore right? I mean, how long are these engines realistically going to drive well for? My mechanic has said they can go on and on, but is it worth spending money on the body for the mileage being at that level?

I am actually dreaming about all this at night, I know I'm not a normal 42 year old girl. Probably taking me back to my young adult life growing up in Australia, all of us had hotted up cars that stood out. It's playing havoc with my mind.

All opinions on what to do gratefully received, I'm umming and arring so much between sense and sentiment that I'm about to tip over.

Lou

spudboy6

Feb 4, 2014
Swindon
You could always treat the rust then get the car wrapped much cheaper than paint , I will never sell mine , I will keep it until a repair comes I deem un-economic to fix like engine failure

Bigjohn84

Intagram / johnyoung84
May 5, 2015
If your in love with the White Cupra and don't feel the same about the FR them I'd swap things over you like from the FR to your white Cupra, so swap for swap, anything inside like the seats, steering wheel, door cards anything inside you can swap over do that, then you get the best of both cars, I'd never sell mine ether like most of us on hear we have spent a few thousand on our cars and would never see the return when or if it was time to sell, keep the white one, you will regret it if you keep the FR, like spudrick said get the rust treated then maybe go for a wrap, that's abit exspensive to get that rust sorted, where abouts do you live? Not in Edinburgh by chance as my cousin owns a body shop.

Last edited:

ZRZ

Dec 30, 2014
Hertfordshire
By the sounds of it you're not going to get as attached to the FR then you already are with the Cupra, and for sure won't feel as if you're having as much fun in it which could won't make you any happier the the FR.

Which arches are rusting? Could you not get rust free second hand parts I.E front arches and bonnet, and get them sprayed in Frozen White. The same can't be said about the sills or if there is rust on the tear arches but would cut the cost down a bit?

To be honest, if you've already gone out and brought the FR after finding out the cost of getting the Cupra rectified then by the sounds of it you've already made a decision that the work is not financially suitable

Gaz7

Jun 13, 2014
I'm a bit dubious about this 2k worth of repairs to the cupra, I can't see how a Leon of that age could be in that state, sure I could have it done a hell of a lot cheaper around here!

Alexis27

Dec 20, 2009
Manchester
Sounds like you should sell the FR and run the white one into the ground if the only thing wrong with it is a bit of rust. Maybe you can patch it up on the cheap?

And whilst you're waiting you could save up for a LCR maybe?

Never2muchLeon

Feb 24, 2016
Thank you guys for your replies. Yeh, I think I may have just made a mistake buying the FR. Not that it isn't lovely, it just isn't the Cupra. The rust is not horrific in the Cupra, but I'd like the bodywork to be in great condition. I live in Hampshire so I guess things are more expensive down here. Plus there is a couple of door rubbers etc in that price. The body shop was recommended to me and as I've never had anything like that done before, I just assumed that's how much it costs.

Will ask them about the wrap though. I believe from what I read last night that they only last for about 5 years. Mind you, with 165,000 miles on the clock, perhaps planning beyond that time might be a bit of a risk anyway!

Really appreciate the replies.

Never2muchLeon

Feb 24, 2016
Ha ha SlimsLCR!! I tried marriage once.....needless to say I'm happily unmarried now =)

I've decided to sit on this for a month or two I think. I've been driving the Cupra this week and I do love her. It's funny, the FR is probably a smoother drive, slightly better drive (brakes are definitely better) but the looks just do not excite me. Nor the sound. Whilst beefer than a standard car, it's not the Cupra. My kids call it the "lion" car because it roars. I did have a sports exhaust put on the Cupra a year and a bit ago, non-resonated but still a lovely, deep rumble.

*sigh*.

Arrrggghhh, I just do NOT know what to do. Be sensible (keep the FR in great condition and low mileage) or follow my heart (get the rust work done on the Cupra at 165,000 mileage!).

The MOT is due April on the Cupra. I guess I could put it through early and depending on whether it shows anything up (normally goes through with next to no problems), that could help me one way or the other.

I have kids so I need to be sensible to a certain extent. If only there was a crystal ball to see how long the engine on the Cupra will last!!!

Sorry guys if this seems like rambling. I thought I had it all clear in my head when I bought the FR, but I realise now how attached I am to the Cupra. Just thinking out loud with most of this. Why does bodywork have to be so expensive?!! The wrap sounds good but the one section of rust on the wheel arch is bubbled....not sure it would be so economical by the time that is fixed beforehand. I would travel to get this done if it is more economical in other areas, just not sure if my Cupra is a good candidate. Will have to look into it further.

Thanks all for your advice/comments. Hopefully I'll have a lightbulb moment soon and make a decision one way or the other!!

SlimsLCR

Jul 16, 2014
Northern Ireland
Ha ha SlimsLCR!! I tried marriage once.....needless to say I'm happily unmarried now =)

I've decided to sit on this for a month or two I think. I've been driving the Cupra this week and I do love her. It's funny, the FR is probably a smoother drive, slightly better drive (brakes are definitely better) but the looks just do not excite me. Nor the sound. Whilst beefer than a standard car, it's not the Cupra. My kids call it the "lion" car because it roars. I did have a sports exhaust put on the Cupra a year and a bit ago, non-resonated but still a lovely, deep rumble.

*sigh*.

Arrrggghhh, I just do NOT know what to do. Be sensible (keep the FR in great condition and low mileage) or follow my heart (get the rust work done on the Cupra at 165,000 mileage!).

The MOT is due April on the Cupra. I guess I could put it through early and depending on whether it shows anything up (normally goes through with next to no problems), that could help me one way or the other.

I have kids so I need to be sensible to a certain extent. If only there was a crystal ball to see how long the engine on the Cupra will last!!!

Sorry guys if this seems like rambling. I thought I had it all clear in my head when I bought the FR, but I realise now how attached I am to the Cupra. Just thinking out loud with most of this. Why does bodywork have to be so expensive?!! The wrap sounds good but the one section of rust on the wheel arch is bubbled....not sure it would be so economical by the time that is fixed beforehand. I would travel to get this done if it is more economical in other areas, just not sure if my Cupra is a good candidate. Will have to look into it further.

Thanks all for your advice/comments. Hopefully I'll have a lightbulb moment soon and make a decision one way or the other!!

Lol, good for you! Its refreshing to see a lady petrol head! You are hard to find! Welcome to the forum!

cupraslayer

I want more bhp
Feb 8, 2008
northampton
Sounds like deep down you know what you want to do already .
I've been in the same boat several times with my Cupra .
I've had mine since she was 3 years old ( y plate ) and I still love it as much as the first day I picked her up .
Yes I've had some big talks with her when she's cost me some big money , but I always have a smile on my face when I take her out .
She's been on track days , and drag strips and always took the beating she got .
I would never let her go . 3rd engine being rebuilt ready for when this one gives up , 2nd gear box still going strong . She breaks , I fix her .
I'm surprised she's gone rusty ! I've not got one bit on my old girl . In fact I don't think I've ever sen a rusty mk1 leon .

Me personally would shop around . £2000 for patching of arches and cills is a ridiculous amount . Once done I would look at having the car under sealed also . Doesn't have to look pretty. Again if it was me I would keep the old girl , but then I don't know your circumstances .

Never2muchLeon

Feb 24, 2016
Thanks CupraSlayer,

I think that's what I'm going to end up doing, keeping the Cupra. Do you mind me asking if an engine replacement is mega expensive? It'll be good to have a ball park figure in the back of my mind for future reference, although my trusty mechanic assures me there is plenty of life in her yet.

Re: the rust. She had a respray about 6 years ago to Frozen White. I can only assume that is why she has a bit of rust when no others do. It was barely there when I bought her 3 years ago, but it's at a level now that I'm not happy with (but by no means really that bad, I just can't bear her looking less than flash).

I think I'll need to change the brakes too. The FR's brakes are amazing, I've nearly put us through the windscreen this week in comparison to when I drive the Cupra.

It's gonna seem ridiculous selling the FR just over a week after I've bought it :whistle:

I guess one thing I have realised that it's not always about the merits of the car, the low mileage etc etc. I feel good driving the Cupra, like it's part of my personality. It's different, and probably not what a typical 42 year old woman with 3 kids drives, but that is part of why I love it. I don't like normal. Never have.

Well, all this is at least crystalising thoughts in my mind. Need to shop around for a cheaper bodywork quote. Might be worth a drive further north to get the cheaper rates!!

I don't suppose anyone can recommend anyone?

Bigjohn84

Intagram / johnyoung84
May 5, 2015
If I'm right you should get a life time guarantee or 10 year guarantee on a spray job, not sure but someone should know, 6 years ain't that long exspesualy for rust to start coming through. Some garages give you the guarantee some don't.

Last edited:

wilfster

Mar 6, 2010
In the past, when I've replaced a car I loved, I always regretted it to start with. I had a 20VT Cupra new in 2002 which I loved and kept for 4 years. I changed it for a new Mk1 LCR in 2006. I regretted the change. I thought the older car was better built and way more comfortable. I didn't think I could live with the jarring ride in the LCR.

10 years on I've still got the LCR and think it's the best car I've ever owned. So what I'm saying is, give your FR a chance. You may get to love it just as much as the white one.

It's head versus heart, most of us have been through that with our cars. The sensible choice must be to keep the FR. You've got a good chance of several reliable years ahead of you. You've just got to decide if you love the white one enough to face up to the bigger bills and more frequent failures you're likely to get.

Assuming both cars are taxed and tested, how about running the FR and not touching the Cupra for a month? Then swap over. You will know straightaway which one you want to keep.

cupraslayer

I want more bhp
Feb 8, 2008
northampton
Thanks CupraSlayer,

I think that's what I'm going to end up doing, keeping the Cupra. Do you mind me asking if an engine replacement is mega expensive? It'll be good to have a ball park figure in the back of my mind for future reference, although my trusty mechanic assures me there is plenty of life in her yet.

Re: the rust. She had a respray about 6 years ago to Frozen White. I can only assume that is why she has a bit of rust when no others do. It was barely there when I bought her 3 years ago, but it's at a level now that I'm not happy with (but by no means really that bad, I just can't bear her looking less than flash).

I think I'll need to change the brakes too. The FR's brakes are amazing, I've nearly put us through the windscreen this week in comparison to when I drive the Cupra.

It's gonna seem ridiculous selling the FR just over a week after I've bought it :whistle:

I guess one thing I have realised that it's not always about the merits of the car, the low mileage etc etc. I feel good driving the Cupra, like it's part of my personality. It's different, and probably not what a typical 42 year old woman with 3 kids drives, but that is part of why I love it. I don't like normal. Never have.

Well, all this is at least crystalising thoughts in my mind. Need to shop around for a cheaper bodywork quote. Might be worth a drive further north to get the cheaper rates!!

I don't suppose anyone can recommend anyone?

You are welcome :)
In regards to a engine it all depends how far you want to go . The 2nd lump I put in had 42 k on the clock . I paid £500 for the block ( 6 years ago ) then another £400 for fitting . The block I ve got now I paid £120 for the block with 90k on the clock . Block is now stripped with new parts ordered so it can be completely rebuilt .

The only thing I can think of with the paint work , is that there was a weak point in the paint allowing water to get underneath . Like I said before , I'm yet to see a rusting leon .
If you were down this way I could recommend plenty of welders and sprayers.

With the brakes a decent set of disks and pads should be more then ample for what you need . I've stage 2 on mine with standard sized disks and haven't had any major trouble yet . Even on track days I've had a little heat fade , but nothing to panic about .

It sounds that you are still very much in love with the Cupra still, and I do think you are making the right choice .
Good to see another Cupra owner keeping these fast disappearing cars alive .
Not saying it's going to be a simple cheap fix, but in my eyes it has always been worth the money . At some point mine will be going to the clouds above , but I know she's got many many years to go yet.
With what the car is worth , what other car can you get for that sort of money? Not sure how much you paid for the fr , but I'm guessing a lot lot more then what the cupras worth . Does the fr put the same smile on your face ? ..... No !

Put the money from the fr towards the Cupra , if possible . You still have many happy driving years in it yet .

Last edited:

Never2muchLeon

Feb 24, 2016
Thank you Wilfster and Cupra Slayer,

Wilfster, your post really made sense to me. Yes, both are taxed and insured so I think I'm going to do just that.

Just driving the FR today (as I drove the Cupra all last week) has made me realise that it really is a faster and smoother, more responsive drive than the Cupra. I love driving them both.

Would it be sacrilege, in your humble opinions, to put Cupra bumpers on the FR and then get it colour-change wrapped? (I really don't think I could stay with the red). I'm thinking that if I can metamorphasise it a little into the Cupra, then it would ring my bells like the Cupra, drive better than the Cupra and hopefully be the longer lasting option?

(Yes, I am aware that some members may want to shoot me by now. If you think YOU are sick of my to'ing and fro'ing as to which car, then you should try bloody being in MY HEAD right now!!) lol

Bigjohn84

Intagram / johnyoung84
May 5, 2015
Like I said in my first post I'd swap things around in both cars so you get best of both cars

Never2muchLeon

Feb 24, 2016
I'm worried I won't get very much for the Cupra if I swap all the bits over. After all, I'd like the wheels, the bumpers, the splitter, the exhaust, the 6 CD stacker, the leather seats and the wing mirrors lol I also want the colour, much not much I can do about swapping that ha ha.

I was hoping that if I decide the FR is the one to keep, the funds from the sale of the Cupra (as she stands now with all goodies) will be enough to help "sexy-up" the FR.