Need help urgently!

fresh_creps

May 11, 2007
Bedfordshire
Hi all,me being the clumsy retard I am managed to lose one of the side lights I was changing right inside my headlight unit,and the only way I can see me getting it out is to take the whole headlight out and shake it out!So need instructions or a guide with pictures (would be easier) as to how to take the drivers side headlight out,cheers!

andyj

There's no F in Quality..
front grille and bumper need to come off... and then the headlamp comes off....

not 100% sure on how the bumper comes off though.... :confused:

I've done this before on a mates Leon, and managed to recover the bulb through the hole, by using an old coat hanger with some double sided sticky tape wrapped around the end.... took about an hour of very patient wiggling though !!! :)

fresh_creps

May 11, 2007
Bedfordshire
ahh great :( sounds like a lot of work just because I made 1 stupid mistake!just gave the coat hanger idea a go but just ended up pushing it right into the corner now :mad: don't think that'll b possible anways because of the size of the hole it came through in the 1st place. :(

Any other ideas?

fresh_creps

May 11, 2007
Bedfordshire
yee thort about that,although the one I need to get is in a very awkward place (as I have the gti headlamps with 2 bulbs) will maybe try give it a go though.

Naa might have to get one though,wheres the best place to get one,swear halfrauds doesn't sell them anymore?

Wallis22

Aug 25, 2007
You don't have to, but it does make it easier.

Actually, in my Haynes it doesn't say to remove the bumper, only the grille, but to be honest when i changed my headlights i took the bumper off to make it easier.

Can't remember if it's been covered yet or not, but to remove the bumper; remove the grille (let me know if u get stuck with this), then remove the 2 (or 3) screws securing the bumper to the slam panel,

Then there's another 2 screws, or bolts, accessible through the lower bumper radiator grille aperture. (Near the fog lights).

Also remember to remove the screws securing the wheel arch liners to the bumper. After all the screws/ bolts have been removed, release the bumper from it's retaining lugs on the front wings.

It's a really easy job. Takes about 10/ 20 minutes tops.

Oh yea, and it's always worth getting a Haynes manual. You can pick them up from E Bay or Amazon quite cheap.

Last edited:

fresh_creps

May 11, 2007
Bedfordshire
Lol everyone says its easy but I'm not very mechanically minded,I get frustrated and impatient quickly!I'm afraid I'm gunna need you to tell me how to take the grill off aswell lol....and how to actually take the headlight out,cheers for the info

ibiza_streg

Oct 23, 2006
Cornwall
You don't need to take the bumper off to get the headlights off! I don't even understand why you would?

All you have to do is take the grill off, which is a bit of pain!
Basically take off the sidelights and theres a little bolt holding it on each side, undo that. Then remove the two or three screws from on top of the grill. then theres like a clip which is underneath both headlights which you have to push up or down I can't quite remember(try both).
Just remembered when I was trying to remove my grill to debadge it I managed to take off one of the headlights without fully removing the grill! Probably not advisable as I seem to remember bending the grill alot.
Theres just three screws holding the headlight on, one on top and two underneath.

Good luck! I've just bought two new headlights so i'm going to have to do it next week!

fresh_creps

May 11, 2007
Bedfordshire
cheers ibiza_streg very helpful!Will give it a go tomorrow at some point hopefully.Also one more retarded question...how do you take the sidelights off lol?

Dec 17, 2006
Bristol
There's a plastic clip behind the indicator, just push it to the side and the whole thing will pull out. Then you can remove the electrical connector. Easy :)

Boi Ninja

16 valves of sweet shhhhh
Dec 23, 2005
Enfield, Shanktown
the grill is a pain to remove and i ended up braking it ...then aralditing it back together lol (on my 1.4 though) i need to take a headlight out as the cover thingy has fallen in grrr and my bumper is out of its runner on each side ...i was really avoiding doing this job though it just seems such effort for nothing.

kyle18uk

Dec 19, 2006
Nottingham
if you can replace the head lights without removing the bumper i would suggest that as when i removed my bumper it never sat right in the locating lugs on the sides after. had gaps between the bumper and wings. (i have a new bumper now! as I managed to destroy the old one!)

Might be worth going to Motorworld and buying one of those draper bendy claw things?! if you know what i mean! or a stick with blue tack on the end!

fresh_creps

May 11, 2007
Bedfordshire
well I'm doing it atm,all going well,know exactly what I need to do,only one problem...How the hell do I get the drivers side grille bolt off!!(the one under the sidelight?its at the most ridiculous angle I've ever seen and can't seem to get any kind of tool in there! any ideas?Soon as I get this off I'll be all good ( i hope)

fresh_creps

May 11, 2007
Bedfordshire
ooo its ok,had to use a socket piece and finger power in the end,not the most comfortable thing when it's freezing outside,all done now! Thanks to everyone for their help :)

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.