Need some major Advice just had car on dyno!

Sep 22, 2022
Hi guys I bought a 2016 Seat Leon 2 litre 181 bhp model in September from available car. It’s done 42,264 miles, I had a quantum tuning map put on around a month and a half ago and I have never felt any difference in the cars performance.

So this morning I decided I was going to get it on the dyno and find out what’s going on, the gentleman did a fair and honest dyno run, he wasn’t trying to sell me any map with his services or giving me the old my map will be better that that jargon trying to sell me stuff.

So the gentleman dyno’d It with the quantum tuning map on first and the cars producing 201bhp & 380nm of torque.
He then flashed it back to stock and the cars producing 180bhp & 365nm of torque.

Now my question is obviously in my opinion the Map that has been put on that is apparently a very good map from quantum tuning that cost me £250 is not a good map at all & I will be speaking to the person I took the car too, to get my money back.

But also are those figures for my car at stock good and should I be happy with them or could there be any issues with my car? I’m assuming the stock HP of 180 is good and what it should be but the 365nm is that something to be concerned about as I’m sure stock it should be 380nm or should I be happy with 365 or could there be an issue with my car somewhere and how would I know what that might be?

I’m just looking for some advice and guidance on what to do next, as this has really disappointed me this morning, I knew the car just didn’t feel any different with the map and I kept trying to convince myself it did but I knew it just wasn’t knocking my socks off.

Attachments

• F397C8C1-6704-4D0B-B68A-F7BB622C9758.jpeg
    F397C8C1-6704-4D0B-B68A-F7BB622C9758.jpeg
    463.4 KB · Views: 103

SteveGSXR600K1

May 6, 2017
As it's the 184FR TDi it should be around 220BHP after a good map. Wished I'd had mine dyno'd when it was remapped, just for peace of mind, but they didn't have time.

CalJames

Modification Addict
Jun 25, 2019
North Wales
The missus has a 184TDi and we had it mapped in August with a Racingline map.
Stock the car made 179bhp and around 360nm, after the map it made 221bhp and around 430nm. These are all figures from the dyno.

So stock it made the same as yours however after the map it was significantly better. If you can, get a refund and take it elsewhere, I'd highly recommend getting a Racingline or Revo map.
I always follow the rule that if it costs less than a week's wage (Average UK), it ain't good.

BigJase88

Jase
Apr 20, 2008
What constitutes a good map in your opinion?

Max bhp running at optimum power however reducing longevity of components?

You dyno'd 201bhp so to say the remap is not very good isn't quite true.

It has 21bhp more than stock so the remap has done "something"

There could be an issue with the car. Who's to say another tuner can get more than 201bhp? Maybe turbo's a little tired.

You have 2 chances of a refund. No hope and zero hope

Reactions: mty12345
Sep 22, 2022
What constitutes a good map in your opinion?

Max bhp running at optimum power however reducing longevity of components?

You dyno'd 201bhp so to say the remap is not very good isn't quite true.

It has 21bhp more than stock so the remap has done "something"
Done something but not what I paid for it to do, I paid for a stage one remap and if you look on quantum tuning’s website the proposed figures for my car are stock: 181bhp tuned: 220bhp & stock: 380nm tuned: 450nm.

So I’d say that isn’t a good map and isn’t acceptable when I’ve paid £250 and haven’t received the stage one remap I was sold.

And from looking at the graph the power and toque figures are to late, the map should be producing the power and torque much earlier down the rev range.

Sep 22, 2022
The missus has a 184TDi and we had it mapped in August with a Racingline map.
Stock the car made 179bhp and around 360nm, after the map it made 221bhp and around 430nm. These are all figures from the dyno.

So stock it made the same as yours however after the map it was significantly better. If you can, get a refund and take it elsewhere, I'd highly recommend getting a Racingline or Revo map.
I always follow the rule that if it costs less than a week's wage (Average UK), it ain't good.
How different was it to drive before and after the map? Could you tell a big difference straight away and feel more torque and power?

CalJames

Modification Addict
Jun 25, 2019
North Wales
How different was it to drive before and after the map? Could you tell a big difference straight away and feel more torque and power?
Insanely different. 30 to 70 in 3rd happens in no time and then shift into 4th and it just keeps gaining speed with ease.
Hers is a 2014 and it had nearly double the mileage, does it have any signs of running poor, such as smell of unburnt diesel, smoke when revving?
Another thing, when I got my first VAG car I didn't know about the accelerator kickdown and ran it in Eco mode the whole time, wondered why it felt so slow. Hope you're not as daft as I was.

Glosphil

Nov 10, 2004
Gloucestershire
Insanely different. 30 to 70 in 3rd happens in no time and then shift into 4th and it just keeps gaining speed with ease.
Hers is a 2014 and it had nearly double the mileage, does it have any signs of running poor, such as smell of unburnt diesel, smoke when revving?
Another thing, when I got my first VAG car I didn't know about the accelerator kickdown and ran it in Eco mode the whole time, wondered why it felt so slow. Hope you're not as daft as I was.
RTFM

Sep 22, 2022
Nope the cars in brilliant condition one owner before me, looks gorgeous, been serviced regularly all the stamps, I’ve not noticed any smoke or the smell of unburnt diesel what so ever. I just felt like when I bought it it felt just a little laggy and I was a little disappointed with the power.

Joined this forum and saw people similarly to me saying how they were disappointed but soon as they got it mapped the car was like a different beast. So I looked around and saw that quantum tuning are supposed to be very good maps and reputable.

But the car just felt the same to me, I thought at first maybe it’s me expecting to much, maybe I’m just expecting it to be faster than what it’s capable of being. So I’ve just put up with it for about 2 months and got to the point I thought there’s no way this car is performing the way it should with a stage 1 map on it, and low and behold it isn’t anywhere close to what it should be.

But quantum offer a 30 day change of mind money back guarantee but I’m over that now, but surely if the map has been sold to me and isn’t fit for purpose and producing what it should on my car then there’s something they can do regards a refund but I’m unsure, at this point I’m just disheartened as all I want to do is enjoy my car.

martin j.

Feb 11, 2007
Fife
Seems the motto is never getting a map done without running it on the dyno at the same time? Generic maps are fine but without fine tuning live you may never get the best.

mty12345

Jun 17, 2011
bristol
Nope the cars in brilliant condition one owner before me, looks gorgeous, been serviced regularly all the stamps, I’ve not noticed any smoke or the smell of unburnt diesel what so ever. I just felt like when I bought it it felt just a little laggy and I was a little disappointed with the power.

Joined this forum and saw people similarly to me saying how they were disappointed but soon as they got it mapped the car was like a different beast. So I looked around and saw that quantum tuning are supposed to be very good maps and reputable.

But the car just felt the same to me, I thought at first maybe it’s me expecting to much, maybe I’m just expecting it to be faster than what it’s capable of being. So I’ve just put up with it for about 2 months and got to the point I thought there’s no way this car is performing the way it should with a stage 1 map on it, and low and behold it isn’t anywhere close to what it should be.

But quantum offer a 30 day change of mind money back guarantee but I’m over that now, but surely if the map has been sold to me and isn’t fit for purpose and producing what it should on my car then there’s something they can do regards a refund but I’m unsure, at this point I’m just disheartened as all I want to do is enjoy my car.
I'd just put it down to experience and get a revo map
Done something but not what I paid for it to do, I paid for a stage one remap and if you look on quantum tuning’s website the proposed figures for my car are stock: 181bhp tuned: 220bhp & stock: 380nm tuned: 450nm.

So I’d say that isn’t a good map and isn’t acceptable when I’ve paid £250 and haven’t received the stage one remap I was sold.

And from looking at the graph the power and toque figures are to late, the map should be producing the power and torque much earlier down the rev range.
As Jase says, could be something wrong with the car or the dyno. I don't think you can do anything more than ask for a refund. I'm no lawyer, but i can't imagine legally that you would be able to get your money back, nor would it be worth it for £250. I'd put it down to experience and get a map from Revo etc

Sep 22, 2022
I'd just put it down to experience and get a revo map

As Jase says, could be something wrong with the car or the dyno. I don't think you can do anything more than ask for a refund. I'm no lawyer, but i can't imagine legally that you would be able to get your money back, nor would it be worth it for £250. I'd put it down to experience and get a map from Revo etc
But the stock dyno run figures of my car are pretty much where they need to be, so surely that means there isn’t anything wrong with my car?

mty12345

Jun 17, 2011
bristol
But the stock dyno run figures of my car are pretty much where they need to be, so surely that means there isn’t anything wrong with my car?
Yeah in all likelyhood it's the map, but there is no real way of proving it. I'm sure they cover their asses in the terms and conditions too, most likely they will say the figures are an estimate and will vary car to car, which is both true and the perfect get out clause.

SteveGSXR600K1

May 6, 2017
Advantages of a Revo remap are that, with their expensive Revo SPS unit, you can switch back to stock if needed and also have an anti-theft mode.

BigJase88

Jase
Apr 20, 2008
Not quite. Your car may be okay at stock power. However at mapped power your turbo may not be able to produce enough boost / you may have an intercooler / boost pipework leak that only leaks at higher boost pressure than standard.

There are a lot of variables.

Reactions: martin j.
Sep 22, 2022
Not quite. Your car may be okay at stock power. However at mapped power your turbo may not be able to produce enough boost / you may have an intercooler / boost pipework leak that only leaks at higher boost pressure than standard.

There are a lot of variables.
Some very valid and fair points there, these are things I can get looked at, if I was to go to somebody else for a custom dyno tuned map I’m assuming if there were any boost issues whether that be from the turbo, an intercooler, boost pipe, any leaks etc the guy doing the tune would surely be able to pick up on something like that while he’s doing the tuning and give me feedback regarding it and get the issue if there was one sorted out I’m assuming?

SuperV8

May 30, 2019
Hi guys I bought a 2016 Seat Leon 2 litre 181 bhp model in September from available car. It’s done 42,264 miles, I had a quantum tuning map put on around a month and a half ago and I have never felt any difference in the cars performance.

So this morning I decided I was going to get it on the dyno and find out what’s going on, the gentleman did a fair and honest dyno run, he wasn’t trying to sell me any map with his services or giving me the old my map will be better that that jargon trying to sell me stuff.

So the gentleman dyno’d It with the quantum tuning map on first and the cars producing 201bhp & 380nm of torque.
He then flashed it back to stock and the cars producing 180bhp & 365nm of torque.

Now my question is obviously in my opinion the Map that has been put on that is apparently a very good map from quantum tuning that cost me £250 is not a good map at all & I will be speaking to the person I took the car too, to get my money back.

But also are those figures for my car at stock good and should I be happy with them or could there be any issues with my car? I’m assuming the stock HP of 180 is good and what it should be but the 365nm is that something to be concerned about as I’m sure stock it should be 380nm or should I be happy with 365 or could there be an issue with my car somewhere and how would I know what that might be?

I’m just looking for some advice and guidance on what to do next, as this has really disappointed me this morning, I knew the car just didn’t feel any different with the map and I kept trying to convince myself it did but I knew it just wasn’t knocking my socks off.
This bump in torque at 3250 looks wrong to me.
Diesel remaps you would normally expect the torque to continue climbing where the stock tune plateaus.
I would go back to quantum - and ask them to correct or refund.

1670327951664.png

CalJames

Modification Addict
Jun 25, 2019
North Wales
This bump in torque at 3250 looks wrong to me.
Diesel remaps you would normally expect the torque to continue climbing where the stock tune plateaus.
I would go back to quantum - and ask them to correct or refund.
Didn't notice that when I first read the post.
That doesn't look normal at all, here's a pic of our dyno printout. There's a slight bump in torque around 3500rpm but nothing like that.

Attachments

• Dyno.jpg
    Dyno.jpg
    190.3 KB · Views: 75
Reactions: SuperV8

LeylandVCDS

Apr 20, 2015
Leyland, Lancashire
Can't comment on the 184, but I'm running a Quantum stage 1 map on my 1.6TDI. Originally suffering from the dieselgate problem, it dyno'ed at 102bhp/244NM torque before mapping, after the Quantum map went on, it is now at 143bhp and 322NM. And significantly better on fuel economy too.
Couldn't be happier with the Quantum map on mine, it truly has transformed the car completely

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.