New 67 Plate Leon - Rattles!

iScoTT29

May 18, 2017
What plastic clips do you mean? Can you get a picture please?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

seat-leon-sc-road-test012.jpg

This is just a picture off google showing the clip im talking about. The very right hand back seat. The belt is tucked under the clip thing. This is what stops the rattles you describe for me. Its just a pain everytime you have backseat passengers who dont tuck the belt back in I am half way through driving and the rattle annoys me so much I need to pull over and sort it :p

jezyg

Feb 21, 2003
Derby
Clean with interior wipes? Thanksfully I only have 2 doors, 2 less to rattle :).

I echo other people's experience, rattles, squeaks and noises, go to the dealer (any one).

One time, there was this annoying rattle/squeak, so i booked it in for the weekend. On the morning to the dealer, the noise stopped :censored: thankfully 5 mins till reaching the dealer, it started again!

They did a good job with my doors though, but taking off door trim, and adding noodle expanding foam thing...so quiet after, plus music sounded better too!

Yep, try to avoid anything containing silicone seems to improve for a while and then make matters worse.

I just clean them with soap and water as I wash the car and dry off. Current Corsa E gets rattles in bad/wet weather caused by an extra lower door seal they added on the E to reduce noise, but collects loads of dirt... Once clean rattle disappears. :blink:

Last edited:

Luke_bank

Aug 11, 2017
Anyone got any other ideas please? It’s a toasty (compared to recent days) 7c tonight but the rattles are still there.

So far I’ve:

- Wiped all the door seals
- Put the back seats down to eliminate the seat catch
- Removed the parcel shelf
- Moved anything that was in the back/boot to the front

The rattle is still there!! Sounds at times like plastic on plastic but other times it sounds metalically.

I wouldn’t mind so much if it was just on bumpy roads but it seems to happen on anything other than smooth, new, tarmac which is bloody irritating.

Lmbarrett83

Sep 8, 2017
Sheffield
Anyone got any other ideas please? It’s a toasty (compared to recent days) 7c tonight but the rattles are still there.

So far I’ve:

The rattle is still there!! Sounds at times like plastic on plastic but other times it sounds metalically.

I wouldn’t mind so much if it was just on bumpy roads but it seems to happen on anything other than smooth, new, tarmac which is bloody irritating.

With all you've described and the fact that the car is brand new, I seriously would be suggesting a trip to the dealership.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

SRGTD

May 26, 2014

So far I’ve:

You tried adjusting the tailgate rubber bump stops I suggested in post #14 (relevant section of post #14 below). If they don’t sit flush against the bodywork either side of the boot opening, then the tailgate closing/locking latch could rattle;

If it’s your tailgate that’s rattling, it’s worth checking the rubber bump stops attached to the outside edge of the underside of your tailgate (you can see them when you open the tailgate). They need to sit flush against the little ‘bumps’ in the metal work around the tailgate opening when the tailgate’s closed. If they don’t, they might need adjusting outwards slightly (they should have a rubber thread, so giving them a slight turn anti clockwise should make them protrude a bit further and sit snug up against the ‘bumps’).

Luke_bank

Aug 11, 2017
With all you've described and the fact that the car is brand new, I seriously would be suggesting a trip to the dealership.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

I will mate. I’ve been told dealers hate these sort of issues, so before I let them rip the car apart and say “no fault found” I want to try and diagnose/fit myself.

Luke_bank

Aug 11, 2017
You tried adjusting the tailgate rubber bump stops I suggested in post #14 (relevant section of post #14 below). If they don’t sit flush against the bodywork either side of the boot opening, then the tailgate closing/locking latch could rattle;

I did try to turn them but they didn’t seem to rotate.

I closed the boot and pushed down on either side checking for play but there wasn’t any. Would you expect there to be?

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
I did try to turn them but they didn’t seem to rotate.

I closed the boot and pushed down on either side checking for play but there wasn’t any. Would you expect there to be?

No, I wouldn’t.

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
You can see the left hand one on this YouTube video, along the left hand side of the tailgate below the lower gas strut mounting point.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vHfcA4e2V18

I currently have a VW, not a Seat so assumed (maybe incorrectly! - apologies if that’s the case) that something like a tailgate bump stop would be the same design (and part?) on both the Leon and Golf. On the mk6 and mk7 Golf they are adjustable, as some forum members on one of the Golf forums who’ve experienced rattling tailgates have adjusted these rubber bump stops by unscrewing them slightly so they make a firmer contact with the contact points around the tailgate opening and it’s stopped the rattling.

veno

Feb 9, 2016
Sofia, Bulgaria
www.bulforum.com
After owning my first Seat I found the thing I have to examine when I buy new car is touching the plastics inside and listening for rattles during the test drive. I used to own a Kia Cee'd for 7 years before buy the Leon and for the 7 years of ownership I had only one rattle in the windshield airvents, which showed arround 5th year and never bothered me to the end. Plastics were sturdy enough not to squeak or rattle. My Leon now have very thin plastics on the dashboard touching some of them cause them squeaking in the high frequencies which annoys me very much, though after 2 years of ownership already I think am starting to become used to them. My plan was to keep the Leon for 5-7 years, because in our country the resell value of Seat on 3rd or 5th year is almost the same, but if this continues to annoy me I may replace the car earlier... if I wanted a cheap car I would have probably bought a Dacia Duster and never bothered about such issues... but spending almost twice more, makes me feel like I am ripped off.

surrealjam

Jan 8, 2015
Just to confirm is it these you’re talking about?

(Can’t get a picture of them on my actual car right now)
663968ed8de039bd4016a490210b3a55.jpg

You adjust these with hex key, rather than just twisting them. A few turns of the hex bolt that runs down the middle will allow you to push it in/out on a ratchet style mechanism. Then re-tighten the bolt.

Nora2004

Oct 15, 2017
I got my 300 back in November and like you pulled my hair out with squeeks and rattles, at one point I totally lost interest in driving it, weird I know!

However I must admit after a month or so half of them disappeared themselves, I kinda put it down to the plastics etc bedding into one another as they went through temperature changes!

I did however pull all the boot gubbins and trim off and sounded deaden the whole area, the hard plastic/foam tool holder got wrapped in felt tape as did some of the tools to stop them moving about! I filled the spare wheel void with some high density foam to eliminate the drum effect it creates! Same for the pillars where the seatbelts mount to, trim off and filled with foam, lined the glovebox with foam and used thin strips of felt tape to any plastic surfaces that met each other!

So now, it's pretty silent, especially when the cab is warmed up, obviously there will always be some little creaks when driving over harsh roads, it's a firm setup so unavoidable really!

Oh and also used some Gummi Pfledge on all the door seals, something I had to do religiously back in my BMW days!

LouG

Dec 1, 2017
Nelson, New Zealand
We had a buzzing noise from the rear area from new, it was one of the headrests. Stopped when I dropped it to lowest setting.
Also have a very faint rustle from centre dash area, a bit more music volume fixed that.

Luke_bank

Aug 11, 2017
You can see the left hand one on this YouTube video, along the left hand side of the tailgate below the lower gas strut mounting point.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vHfcA4e2V18

You adjust these with hex key, rather than just twisting them. A few turns of the hex bolt that runs down the middle will allow you to push it in/out on a ratchet style mechanism. Then re-tighten the bolt.

Gotcha! Thank you.

I got my 300 back in November and like you pulled my hair out with squeeks and rattles, at one point I totally lost interest in driving it, weird I know!

However I must admit after a month or so half of them disappeared themselves, I kinda put it down to the plastics etc bedding into one another as they went through temperature changes!

I did however pull all the boot gubbins and trim off and sounded deaden the whole area, the hard plastic/foam tool holder got wrapped in felt tape as did some of the tools to stop them moving about! I filled the spare wheel void with some high density foam to eliminate the drum effect it creates! Same for the pillars where the seatbelts mount to, trim off and filled with foam, lined the glovebox with foam and used thin strips of felt tape to any plastic surfaces that met each other!

So now, it's pretty silent, especially when the cab is warmed up, obviously there will always be some little creaks when driving over harsh roads, it's a firm setup so unavoidable really!

Oh and also used some Gummi Pfledge on all the door seals, something I had to do religiously back in my BMW days!

I agree. I drove mine today and I couldn't hear it as much, whether that's because I'm getting used to it or because it's warmer and the plastics have bedded in, I'm not sure. It's annoying because now I've heard it I want to listen out for it but I don't want to hear it :shrug:

Do you have any pics of your soundproofing? I'd be interested in doing that.

We had a buzzing noise from the rear area from new, it was one of the headrests. Stopped when I dropped it to lowest setting.
Also have a very faint rustle from centre dash area, a bit more music volume fixed that.

That's a good shout, cheers. I put my seats down last night, lowering the headrests in the process. Seats are back up now but I don't think I raised the headrests again. As mentioned above the rattle seems to have gone :blink:

yanivkoval

Jul 20, 2017
You can try to find rattles by playing a subwoofer test audio, low frequency bass. This helped me to reveal some rattle sources back in my Mazda 3. Search youtube. Also try to play different frequencies, because not all rattle sources will resonate on same frequency.

Luke_bank

Aug 11, 2017
I spoke too soon, the rattles have come back

One in the rear boot still and now one in the centre console, sounds like plastic rubbing. I’m going to have to get it booked in at the dealer.

Last edited:

Gavin290

Jun 18, 2015
I've also got the rattle coming from the boot area and it's driving me nuts!! I've got a 2017 Leon FR. Anyone worked this one out yet??

Luke_bank

Aug 11, 2017
I've also got the rattle coming from the boot area and it's driving me nuts!! I've got a 2017 Leon FR. Anyone worked this one out yet??

Not yet! I’m resisting taking it to the dealer.

My rattles normal occur when temperatures are below 5c, not sure why.

Is your boot rattle like a tapping noise?

russbellrfs

Jan 7, 2018
What i did on an older car is put insulation tape around boot and rear seat latches. Did sort it.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.