new alloys for mk3 leon fr

Apr 22, 2022
my 2018 1.5 FR currently has 7.5jx18 inch alloys and i was looking to get bola b17s for them which are 8.5jx18 so was wondering if the different alloy width would be a problem. i’m completely new to this so idk if this is a dumb thing to ask.

R53Winny

Apr 11, 2022
my 2018 1.5 FR currently has 7.5jx18 inch alloys and i was looking to get bola b17s for them which are 8.5jx18 so was wondering if the different alloy width would be a problem. i’m completely new to this so idk if this is a dumb thing to ask.
I might be interested in your old alloys depending on condition, price and where you're located. Message me 👍

rafletcher

Feb 18, 2021
Have a look at this thread for some advice and links to useful stuff like willtheyfit.com.

You're going up an inch in width, so the tyre will be wider and the profile (sidewall height) will reduce significantly, giving a much firmer ride. You'll also have to watch inner clearance - will a wheel with the same offset have sufficient clearance over suspension components on the inside. If not, and you need to move the wider wheel out (spacer, different offset) will it still sit inside / not foul the arch over bumps. And aftermarket wheels will lilkely need a set of bolts with conical profile, whereas you standard wheels will have a hemi-spherical seat - so you need to keep a spare set of original bolts with the original spare wheel, if you have one.

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
@ray.a - Offset, in addition to wheel width, is an important factor that needs to be considered when changing wheels - if the new wheels you’re considering have quite an aggressive offset, then there’s a potential risk of tyre rubbing issues, especially as you’re moving up from a 7.5J to 8.5J wheel. You can check to see if you’re likely to have any clearance / rubbing issues by using a calculator such as the one on www.willtheyfit.com.

Presumably, your current tyres are 225/40 R18. If so, moving to an 8.5J wheel will increase the risk of damage to the rim of your new wheels as the tyres will provide much less - or no - protection to the rim of the wheel against kerbing damage.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise