New Car: A few questions

RichardC27

Oct 1, 2016
Cheshire
www.flickr.com
So day four with my Leon FR Titanium and I have a few questions that I'm sure the forum will be able to help with. Any other advice about these cars will gratefully received as well. I went for the 1.4 TSI ACT engine with a manual gearbox

1: Engine modes. Is there any difference in peak power and torque between normal,sport and eco modes? Or does eco mode make the engine more willing to drop onto two cylinders?

2. Passenger mirror lowering when reversing. The option to make this happen is ticked in the vehicle menu, I've done some research on the forum and followed advice about setting the mirror to where I want when reversing and leaving the switch on for the left mirror but i can't get it to work. Any ideas about what I'm doing wrong?

3. Door rattles! Both doors have a hugely irritating rattle already (less than 200 miles on the clock). It seems this is a common issue, am I best booking it in to the dealer to get it fixed or is there anything I can do myself to sort it? The car is leased so I'm not really up for taking the door cards off and adding soundproofing.

Thanks everyone!

yellowcone87

Mar 9, 2014
Warwickshire
The only way to sort the door rattles would be to take the door cards off. It's a very common issue, and most seem to say that the dealers are not great at resolving them. The results seem to be varied. Some get fixed on the first attempt, others have given up and done it themselves. My ST is almost three years old and hasn't had any rattles at all thankfully. If it's really bothering you, the only real option on a leased vehicle is to have it looked at by the dealership. Otherwise, turn the stereo up I'm afraid!

niggle

Rollin' on 17s, baby!
Jan 28, 2014
Huddersfield, West Yorkshire
The factors affected most by the profiles are:

1. Throttle response. The Leon has a drive-by-wire throttle and the relationship between the pedal position and the throttle opening on the throttle body varies according to the profile. Less sensitice in Eco mode, more sensitive in Sport mode.

2. DSG shift points. Shifts early in Eco mode (and coasts on the overrun), hangs on to lower gears longer in Sport mode.

3. Steering assistance. Less assistance in Sport mode.

RichardC27

Oct 1, 2016
Cheshire
www.flickr.com
Thanks for the advice guys. The incredibly annoying passenger side rattle seems to have cured itself after a long journey with my girlfriend in the passenger seat. Maybe it was something in the seat belt mechanism or the seat that just needed someone sitting there to solve. I'm much happier now.

KXL

KXL
Dec 15, 2016
London, UK
3. Door rattles! Both doors have a hugely irritating rattle already (less than 200 miles on the clock). It seems this is a common issue, am I best booking it in to the dealer to get it fixed or is there anything I can do myself to sort it? The car is leased so I'm not really up for taking the door cards off and adding soundproofing.

Thanks everyone!

I sent mine to a dealer in SE London (12 miles out from where i live in East London). Booked an appointment for 8am check in (on a Sat, they won't entertain non servicing requests otherwise on a Sat).

They removed both door panels (even though rattles only predominantly on one side). surrounded the panels with some sort of ahesive expanding foam noodle, put it back with a bit of struggling, and tada...no more rattles...music sounded better from front speakers too! The latter I didn't expect, was just a bonus.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.