New cupra 300 arriving detailing the car

hitchygolf1971

May 4, 2017
Hi All,
My new cupra arrives end of the month and was looking at getting the car detailed. Do people thinks it's worth the money and with people who have already had it done in there experiences does it last.

And tbh I don't clean my car myself and take it around to our local hand car wash every fortnight who do a very good job for a fiver.

Ckpearce91

Feb 20, 2013
Milton Keynes
It won't be worth spending all that money on detailing if you're not going to properly maintain it. Local hand car washes don't count as maintenance, as they do more damage than good. They use the same dirty shampoo water that has been used on 20+ cars before hand so just spreading grit and dirt from other cars on to your car creating swirls galore.

Reactions: louiskopite

hitchygolf1971

May 4, 2017
Hi,
Is there specific way of maintaining after the detailing as been done ???? Would that mean me investing in adequate cleaning materials to maintain it or a matter of just cleaning myself. I totally agree with the statement of cars been cleaned with the same sponge and water but it's just time and being lazy.

Ckpearce91

Feb 20, 2013
Milton Keynes
When you say detailing, I'm guessing within that you'll be paying to have a wax/sealant or ceramic coating added?

To maintain it, I would wash weekly or bi-weekly using the 2 bucket method. You'd be best off investing some time in a bit of research. Detailing addicts is a good FB group for all kinds of information or you have http://www.detailingworld.co.uk which is a great forum for complete beginners to the most advanced professionals.

hitchygolf1971

May 4, 2017
Hi,
Yes looking at having it fully detailed, with a protective coat. Thanks for the site I better get swatting up on the subject to see if it's viable for me to having it done.
Just used to the old jet washing it and cleaning it with a bucket of car wash and then drying it off with a shammy leather.
Obviously more to it and disapline to keep on top of it.

Jarre

Dec 9, 2011
Stockton-On-Tees
If you're not good at cleaning cars or don't do it often then a ceramic coat is the best option for you.

I have one on my car and it's great. Easy to clean the car, always looks good and the water just drops off.

Guaranteed for 2 years. No extra waxes or sealants required on top of it.

hitchygolf1971

May 4, 2017
Hi,
Did you have the car detailed for the ceramic coat ??? Or did you do it yourself ?? Don't get me wrong I like my cars to look nice and clean and keep on top of it via the local car hand wash but not that dedicated for it to look like a show car.

zombiemorg

Jul 10, 2017
If you have the cash to get it done properly then it's well worth it on such a nice car. If someone is claiming to do a full detail in half a day for £100 then it's more than likely a waste of money. A proper detailing should be £300+ and take 1-4 days including a 1 or 2 stage machine polish, full decontamination and then a last-stage protection applying such as wax or ceramic coating.

Once it's done, it's fairly easy to maintain. For best results you would need the following things...

- Jetwash with foam lance
- Snow foam
- Two buckets with grit guards
- A wash mit
- A wheel brush
- A decent car shampoo

There are plenty of other things you can add over time (tyre dressing, glass cleaner etc.) but those are the basics.

hitchygolf1971

May 4, 2017
Yes prices are around the £350 mark and extra on top for the coating depending on which type varies in price and they will need the car for 3 days that's with a local detailer in Derby.

I just need to be honest wth myself that I will be that dedicated to keep on top of it myself and not venture to the local car hand wash for a fiver. And ruin the good work done and waste over £300 having it done.

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
If you have the cash to get it done properly then it's well worth it on such a nice car. If someone is claiming to do a full detail in half a day for £100 then it's more than likely a waste of money. A proper detailing should be £300+ and take 1-4 days including a 1 or 2 stage machine polish, full decontamination and then a last-stage protection applying such as wax or ceramic coating.

Once it's done, it's fairly easy to maintain. For best results you would need the following things...

- Jetwash with foam lance
- Snow foam
- Two buckets with grit guards
- A wash mit
- A wheel brush
- A decent car shampoo

There are plenty of other things you can add over time (tyre dressing, glass cleaner etc.) but those are the basics.

if I'd spent £300+ on getting my new car detailed and protected, I'd want to keep it looking as good as it did when it left the detailers for as long as possible, so having it subsequently washed by the local hand wash guys would be a definite no-no. I also instruct the dealer to not give my car a complementary car wash when it goes in for servicing as their standard of car washing is probably worse than the local hand wash guys!

A regular, good washing technique is key to keeping the paintwork in good condition and minimising the risk of inflicting swirls, so a single bucket and sponge for washing and chamois leather for drying are out! I'd also add some good quality dedicated car drying towels to zombiemorg's list above for drying the car.

There's a useful guide on the Detailing World forum to a good car washing technique which should get you started on the right footing. Link below;

http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=4637

hitchygolf1971

May 4, 2017
Hi,
Again thanks for the link and yes your spot on spending that type of money it's a must to keep on top of it, looks like I will be throwing away the garden bucket and sponge and chamois leather and investing in new cleaning gear.

Live in Derbyshire so I don't know if anyone can recommend a decent detailer , we have decent supplier here in Derbyshire for the products shopandshine so looks like I will pay them a visit for some valeting gear

zombiemorg

Jul 10, 2017
Have a look at the group "Detailing Central" on Facebook. Loads of great advice, recommendations and there are plenty of online detailing shops mentioned there (most with discount codes available in the pinned post)

Naith

Sep 14, 2015
My advice is buy the stuff to be able to maintain it yourself after the initial detail. I've never really bothered much with cars in the past but when I got my new FR back in February I was determined to keep up to it. And I have.

The initial outlay for basic gear and products will be around £200 but that will keep you going for years. You might as well throw £350+ down the drain if you plan to take it to the local hand-wash merchants after the initial detail.

There are plenty of sites and forums that will help you out and give you all the knowledge you'll ever need. One of my favourites is Detailing World, but there are loads more.

I haven't got a drive where I can wash the car (I live in Spain) so I have to take it to the local jetwash along with by 2 buckets (yes, I do get some funny looks), and after drying with a drying towel then I finish off with a quick detailing spray or wax. The feeling when you take it out the garage the next day never wears thin. The results will definitely be worth it, especially with such a nice motor as the Cupra ;-)

Simply put, don't be a lazy wotsit! :-D

mrbugle

Jun 25, 2015
Yes prices are around the £350 mark and extra on top for the coating depending on which type varies in price and they will need the car for 3 days that's with a local detailer in Derby.

I just need to be honest wth myself that I will be that dedicated to keep on top of it myself and not venture to the local car hand wash for a fiver. And ruin the good work done and waste over £300 having it done.

I had an excellent two stage ceramic sealant applied to body and wheels and its the best investment ever. And it keeps me honest and I wash the car myself with the whole two buckets, wheel cleaner, prewash etc. Even got a £15 drying towel which is amazing. Only downside here is that no tap in or out of the house will power my pressure washer so I just buy £1 car wash tokens and use their jet washer. Only once since having it detailed professionally I used an auto car wash as it was so covered in bugs and I had to drive 200 miles home.

Oh and the detailer said that the DIamondBrite the dealership applied (which I didn't want or ask for) came off as soon as he applied the pre-wash stage of the wash.

WhenImAlone

Feb 23, 2017
if I'd spent £300+ on getting my new car detailed and protected, I'd want to keep it looking as good as it did when it left the detailers for as long as possible, so having it subsequently washed by the local hand wash guys would be a definite no-no. I also instruct the dealer to not give my car a complementary car wash when it goes in for servicing as their standard of car washing is probably worse than the local hand wash guys!

Had a service in Stoneacre a couple of weeks ago and the girl serving me made a right fuss about explaining to me that they have changed their washing technique and guarantee no scratches from the complimentary wash. The car had only been washed and cleaned the previous day so told her no and, lo and behold, as I left the place there was a guy washing a 65 plate FR with one bucket and the oldest sponge I've ever seen.

mrbugle

Jun 25, 2015
Had a service in Stoneacre a couple of weeks ago and the girl serving me made a right fuss about explaining to me that they have changed their washing technique and guarantee no scratches from the complimentary wash. The car had only been washed and cleaned the previous day so told her no and, lo and behold, as I left the place there was a guy washing a 65 plate FR with one bucket and the oldest sponge I've ever seen.

This worries me a bit, but my dealer are pretty good at not washing it if I ask them too.
Now I have a Cupra I worry about the Tech's ragging it when they drive it though.

Jarre

Dec 9, 2011
Stockton-On-Tees
Hi,
Did you have the car detailed for the ceramic coat ??? Or did you do it yourself ?? Don't get me wrong I like my cars to look nice and clean and keep on top of it via the local car hand wash but not that dedicated for it to look like a show car.

I got it done properly. It cost me in the region of £450 if I remember correctly for the detail and ceramic coat.

mrbugle

Jun 25, 2015
I got it done properly. It cost me in the region of £450 if I remember correctly for the detail and ceramic coat.

I think mine was around that and I paid an extra £120 to have the wheels treated too. Damn brake dust just rinses off now.

WhenImAlone

Feb 23, 2017
This worries me a bit, but my dealer are pretty good at not washing it if I ask them too.
Now I have a Cupra I worry about the Tech's ragging it when they drive it though.

Yeah, gotta say that Stoneacre didn't wash it as per my instructions. It's weird as it's a complimentary wash but they try to sell it to you like they want to do it! I did take the complimentary vac though and they did a superb job on that.

Exactly my worry but I just make a note of the miles before it goes in and see what the difference is; I've heard horror stories about cars coming back with 15+ miles on it from a standard service, obviously been ragged around the high street!

everson38

May 15, 2017
walsall
Hi All,
My new cupra arrives end of the month and was looking at getting the car detailed. Do people thinks it's worth the money and with people who have already had it done in there experiences does it last.

And tbh I don't clean my car myself and take it around to our local hand car wash every fortnight who do a very good job for a fiver.
Yeah I agree with others detailing is a major and fun part of a new car. I would.think about wanting to want to detail your car is not too hard and you get well happy once it's done. If you watch Chemical Guys on YouTube they are a detailing Company which teach you the ins and out of car detailing. See it as you have a month to get your self ready to learning to detail.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members