New dampers for FR

SeanD

Mar 12, 2020
FR184 diesel. Bilstein B6 front and rear, same ride height, no faffing around with coilovers. Made the world of difference, even my wife noticed the difference, so I'll say no more.
I was in two minds in selling the car a few months ago but instead decided to keep it and spend some money in replacing worn parts with high quality parts. New Brembo drilled / slotted discs also made a massive difference. The car jumped out of the rolling road during the MOT test when the rear brakes were being tested, "that'll do" said the guy doing the testing.

SuperV8

May 30, 2019
FR184 diesel. Bilstein B6 front and rear, same ride height, no faffing around with coilovers. Made the world of difference, even my wife noticed the difference, so I'll say no more.
I was in two minds in selling the car a few months ago but instead decided to keep it and spend some money in replacing worn parts with high quality parts. New Brembo drilled / slotted discs also made a massive difference. The car jumped out of the rolling road during the MOT test when the rear brakes were being tested, "that'll do" said the guy doing the testing.
Can you elaborate on the dampers? Difference of what aspect? comfort/firmness/handling? thanks,

SeanD

Mar 12, 2020
Can you elaborate on the dampers? Difference of what aspect? comfort/firmness/handling? thanks,
But of course;
The front B6 shocks have a much larger diameter piston rod than the original OEM part, this gives the front more stiffness.
I'm guessing the gas pressure technology they use does a better job of damping out the ripples sometimes found on tarmac roads.
This was apparent straight away.

These shocks don't seem to "crash" like the original OEM's did, they do a much better job of soaking up the smaller potholes, but big ones still hurt!
Steering into a bend is precise (as FR's always are) but bends are smoother than they were before.

It always niggled me that the Golf GTD 184 had a better ride than the Leon and sitting on the same MQB platform.
The difference due to penny pinching at SEAT. So this is my personal experiment to improve the car bit by bit.

Next up will be replacement polyurethane bushes.

Reactions: SuperV8

martin j.

Feb 11, 2007
Fife
How does the price of oe compare to aftermarket? I put Koni on my Honda as they wanted 3 times the price over aftermarket offerings.

SuperV8

May 30, 2019
How does the price of oe compare to aftermarket? I put Koni on my Honda as they wanted 3 times the price over aftermarket offerings.
Looking at my (2015 184 FR ST) genuine rear OE dampers they are about £72 each.
There are approximately 9 different damper part numbers for the independent rear suspension on the 2015 Leon depending on PR codes.
Prices of these 9 part numbers range from £70-£100 each then jumping to £227 each for the electronic controlled damper!

Interestingly the Bilstein webcatalogue only seems to list the B8 against Leon with sports suspension! Is the FR considered 'sports suspension'? I think it is - or is this only for Cupra? B6 and B8 are they same except the B8 are slightly shorter to account for lower sports springs - so you get adequate spring compression. Anyhow they look like they are between £108 & £115 each.

As mentioned these are mono-tube dampers which are much better technology than twin tube dampers.

Reactions: andye1
Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.