New DPF Needed at 22k Miles!!!

DavysFR

Hi as mentioned in previous threads my car has been giving problems with the Engine Managment Light staying on constantly and the DPF needed regenerated almost constantly despite a daily comute of 80 miles on a motorway/dual carriageway.[:@]

Anyway had a call from dealer today who have had my car since last wednesday and they say that it needs a new DPF. (piece of scrap!)

SEAT are paying for it and itll be here and fitted on thursday.

Will keep you posted ;)

Dillinja

Throbbing Member
May 16, 2003
Beds
Visit site
Apparently cars with a sixth gear sometimes don't produce enough revs to initiate passive regeneration in the DPF. You could maybe try going along at 70mph in 2nd gear for a bit :rolleyes:

Seriously though that's pretty cr@p, surely this is under warranty?

Simon_Peters

2008 Leon Fr TFSI & 01 R6
Apr 11, 2007
Weston-Super-Mare
I feel for you mate, I have had nothing but Issues with my new car. It is back in again for another week. The light is on and off like a yo yo up and down. I have done a little under 10k in three monts mostly on motorway and in 6th at certain speeds you are above the 2.5k. I am currently looking at sending it back and getting a petrol fr as I really have had enough.

I wish you luck!
Simon

Al

Aug 29, 2005
Rip it out by way of a milltek or similar bypass pipe.

mister.c.

mister.c.
Jul 5, 2004
I feel for you mate, I have had nothing but Issues with my new car. It is back in again for another week. The light is on and off like a yo yo up and down. I have done a little under 10k in three monts mostly on motorway and in 6th at certain speeds you are above the 2.5k. I am currently looking at sending it back and getting a petrol fr as I really have had enough.

I wish you luck!
Simon

Jesus Simon - I had thought / hoped you'd had the DPF nailed with the last session with the dealer. I wouldnt blame you if you did send it back; hopefully the backing of your company / lease company will make it as pain free as possible.

s3atl3onFR

Jul 14, 2007
Already jumped ship with the TDI... got a petrol fr instead.... *sigh of relief* and more fun it is too.. just a little bit more on petrol

Simon_Peters

Apr 11, 2007
Weston-Super-Mare
Jesus Simon - I had thought / hoped you'd had the DPF nailed with the last session with the dealer. I wouldnt blame you if you did send it back; hopefully the backing of your company / lease company will make it as pain free as possible.

I really wish I had some good news to report about it but no, it is doing my head in!

It's in for another week and I will see what happens after that but I really dont think they will fix it as they have said they haven't really got a clue whats wrong.

I think after this time and it doesnt work the lease company will reject the car, its odd though it hasn't put me off at all. I love the car to bits but if only I got the petrol again i would have been laughing!

Si

DavysFR

Hey Simon, yeah i know what you mean mate, im giving the car one more chance and if the light comes back on after its fixed again, im selling up and heading for either a new petrol FR or a new Golf GTi.

The car is just more hastle than its worth at the minute. All in all its a cracking car but i dont have time for issues such as this as i work far from home and need a reliable means of transport.

stokeballoon

Dec 29, 2006
Deepest Darkest Somerset
Already jumped ship with the TDI... got a petrol fr instead.... *sigh of relief* and more fun it is too.. just a little bit more on petrol

Jumped ship as well! GTI Ed 30 on its way! As you say, just a little more on the fuel front! But no more DPF!!!! Or 07 "new generation" TDI sounding noisier than a Massey Ferguson Tractor!!

[:@][:@]:ban:

Simon_Peters

Apr 11, 2007
Weston-Super-Mare
Hey Simon, yeah i know what you mean mate, im giving the car one more chance and if the light comes back on after its fixed again, im selling up and heading for either a new petrol FR or a new Golf GTi.

The car is just more hastle than its worth at the minute. All in all its a cracking car but i dont have time for issues such as this as i work far from home and need a reliable means of transport.

It's sad mate but I just can't be arsed with taking it up the motorway every couple of days out of my way just to clear the light when the day before I had just done a 300 mile trip.

Fingers crossed but dont hold out much hope.

Si

Simon_Peters

Apr 11, 2007
Weston-Super-Mare
Jumped ship as well! GTI Ed 30 on its way! As you say, just a little more on the fuel front! But no more DPF!!!! Or 07 "new generation" TDI sounding noisier than a Massey Ferguson Tractor!!

[:@][:@]:ban:

lol,

The way I see it is the petrol is currently cheaper to buy I will get a little less mpg but for a tdi it's pants anyway unless again there is something wrong with mine.

Bring on the TFSI.

Si

DavysFR

Yeah MPG is pants, im not holding out too much hope either mate.

I know what you mean about the driving out of your way thing, i had to drive over 30 miles a couple of weeks ago out of my way to get the DPF light to clear :blink:

Yeah petrol is much cheaper at the minute than diesel, plus as i live near the border with the Republic of Ireland, i can get unleaded/super unleaded for 92p/97p a litre respectively [B)]

I think as soon as i get it back i will look at changing it.

I can get an Emocion Red January 07 FR TFSI with DSG and 18's with 6000 miles on the clock for £14,000 no part ex does that seem good to you guys?

s3atl3onFR

Jul 14, 2007
In my experience when I had the TDI (Light came on over 10 times in 4000 odd miles), driving in anything above 4th gear is restricted to motorway driving only. I found that if you like nippy driving it probably causes build up of soot quicker... so if you are doing sort journeys to prevent light coming on then its probably best to drive like a granny!! To clear you don't really need to drive it that fast... hold it just below 40mph in 3rd will clear it in around 5 minutes... just make sure its constant. Drive it too fast can cause the engine managment light to come on, I assume this is because it can't burn of the extra soot off in time. Well thats what I experienced, didn't want to have to go through the replacement phase when the DPF filter gets older and becomes harder and harder to clear... already bad enough over the few miles I've done.

SEATcarsdirect.co.uk

I have only ever seen the DPF light once after it cleared there were no more problems, thats with doing around 4000 miles in each car

Irfan

UncleFester

Grumpier by the day!
Apr 30, 2006
Milton Keynes
www.facebook.com
In my experience when I had the TDI (Light came on over 10 times in 4000 odd miles), driving in anything above 4th gear is restricted to motorway driving only. I found that if you like nippy driving it probably causes build up of soot quicker... so if you are doing sort journeys to prevent light coming on then its probably best to drive like a granny!! To clear you don't really need to drive it that fast... hold it just below 40mph in 3rd will clear it in around 5 minutes... just make sure its constant. Drive it too fast can cause the engine managment light to come on, I assume this is because it can't burn of the extra soot off in time. Well thats what I experienced, didn't want to have to go through the replacement phase when the DPF filter gets older and becomes harder and harder to clear... already bad enough over the few miles I've done.

That's my biggest fear concerned and ultimately will decide whether i change car or not, most of my driving is < 10 miles each way and involves a lot of hard acceleration / heavy throttle. Surely the issue then is to get more air into the engine to burn off more fuel so that less soot is produced, or maybe even a tweak of the cars ECU?

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members