New engine for my ibiza

blackdream

Mar 11, 2008
My 1.4 44kw still do a great job (yesterday it reached 175 km/h on tach and 167km/h on gps!) but anyway I'm thinking about an engine upgrade as next mod. The new engine must be:

Aspirated (I already have a turbo as weekend car so I would like to keep an NA during the week)

Light (I excluded the 2.0 for the weight so I'm looking for something in the 1.6 - 1.8 range)

and with rebuild+mods I'm looking at 150 hp.

I searched for most VW engines of that years and it seems that the best choice would be the 1800 16v 139hp that was stock on mk2 golf gti. What i want to do is to buy one, rebuild it, do some mods like cams, heads and put in the car.

What are your opinions guys?

I remember an episode of Fifth Gear with an mk2 Golf GTI with this exact engine I suppose, and with the mods they did I remember a range to 8000rpm that makes the thing extremely interesting

Let me know ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFCcUSbdtzI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KtpsKV-8C_k

Big-Pete

Always on the Limit
Aug 8, 2010
As Pete says that vw 1.8 weighs nearly the same as the 2.0. How about the 1.6 16v from the polo gti?

2.0l with the 1.8 16v head and some throttle bodies check out dinky daves build! thats what you wanna do!

M1KEH

M1KE
Oct 27, 2007
The Middle
120 as standard, so realistically you could probaby get 140-150. With cams, throttle bodies and a standaone ecu.

I don't know about mounts exactly but as the 6n polo used the same 1.4 as the 6k polo I would say it's going to be a fairly simple swap to do. Might be worth looking at clubpolo to see people who have done gti conversions.

It is in the 6n2 polo from 2000-2002.

CraigW

Craig.
Apr 12, 2007
Hawick, Scottish Borders, Scotland
120 as standard, so realistically you could probaby get 140-150. With cams, throttle bodies and a standaone ecu.

I don't know about mounts exactly but as the 6n polo used the same 1.4 as the 6k polo I would say it's going to be a fairly simple swap to do. Might be worth looking at clubpolo to see people who have done gti conversions.

It is in the 6n2 polo from 2000-2002.

I think I am going to look into this more as its something that I would fancy doing as its abit different. Thats what I thought regarding the mounts. Clubpolo here I come.

But how would I go about it clock/dash wise?

And in the lupo gti :)

Oh yeah I forgot about the lupo gti.

M1KEH

M1KE
Oct 27, 2007
The Middle
I think I am going to look into this more as its something that I would fancy doing as its abit different. Thats what I thought regarding the mounts. Clubpolo here I come.

I'd go for modding the polo/lupo clocks into your car.

ather`s

EXEO Sport & mk2 IBIZA
Sep 7, 2008
mansfield, notts

on some of them craig, the dash is the same but the speedo pod is set out differently. speedo and rev counter on the outside and fuel and petrol in the middle at the top.

M1KEH

M1KE
Oct 27, 2007
The Middle
I'm not entirely sure but you will need most of it, you will need some of the interior loom to run the clocks etc. You would need to compare wiring diagrams and fusebox layouts. Not going to be easy to do but with some thought you should be able to do it.

It may be easier to run on original clocks and just get the immobiliser turned off on the ecu. But I'm not entirely sure about that.