New Hybrid

vc-10

Mar 29, 2016
You'll be up against the limited top speed of the vehicle for those 500 miles (well... not that the fuel would last that long!)

Do you drive foot to the floor in a petrol car for 500 miles?

It's also worth pointing out that the top speed of the 150PS 1.5 TSI is 134mph, the top speed of the PHEV is 137mph. That's likely due to gearing.

italianjob

Oct 21, 2014
Middlesbrough
So you can floor it forever? And the battery will never deplete? So you’ll always have the full 204bhp even if you drive with your foot flat to the mat for 500 miles?

If that's the case then it's on my shortlist for a new car in the new year.

I was waiting in hope that they would release a 190 TSI, but there's no point if this can churn out 200BHP all day long.

corbu33

Oct 24, 2020
@italianjob agree that is why also I was asking so many questions... only one concern remains, with the increased weight I don t know how well will be on the road even if it will have multilink suspension. And of course the trunk space :( I was looking to the hatch and now need to get estate to have some boot space... and also this I do not know if there is a big difference on handling estate vs normal short hatch.

So handling is the new concern

vc-10

Mar 29, 2016
The handling is likely compromised. Can't say myself having not driven it, but the extra weight will definitely have an impact. Certainly that's the big drawback all the reviews have said.

Boot space wise- in the Mk.7 GTE, it basically took away the underfloor stowage. I'd imagine it's no different in the Leon.

italianjob

Oct 21, 2014
Middlesbrough
@italianjob agree that is why also I was asking so many questions... only one concern remains, with the increased weight I don t know how well will be on the road even if it will have multilink suspension. And of course the trunk space :( I was looking to the hatch and now need to get estate to have some boot space... and also this I do not know if there is a big difference on handling estate vs normal short hatch.

So handling is the new concern

And it never needs charging as the battery never goes flat :)

vc-10

Mar 29, 2016
:ROFLMAO:
Never goes flat does not mean never needs charging!

It'll drive just fine, it'll just use lots more fuel.

italianjob

Oct 21, 2014
Middlesbrough
So, can someone explain to a dummy like me exactly how this system works?

What if you never charge it up?? Doesn't sound like the end of the world as it's still a ~200BHP car?

Anyway, I'm swaying towards the new Octy vRS TSI as it's a bit more practical .

vc-10

Mar 29, 2016
It all depends which 'mode' the car is in.

There are effectively 5 main modes - EV, Hybrid, Hold, Charge, and what I think will be called Sport - called 'GTE' mode in the VWs.

EV and Hybrid are as you'd expect. Hybrid will try and and maximise efficiency. Hold keeps the battery at the level of charge it's got in it- for example, if you are going on a long journey, you can use Hold to keep some charge in the battery for the city driving when you get near your destination. Charge is self-explanatory. Sport will keep the petrol motor on, and will always deliver full power, and will also charge the battery.

The battery in all modes is kept over a certain percentage- I would imagine roughly 15%, given a 10% buffer for the health of the Li-Ion cells, and 5% buffer to use to torque fill. If you're at that 15%, and floor it, then you'll dip below that 15% briefly, but once you're off the accelerator the car will charge the battery back up to 15%.

If you keep the car charged up each night, you improve your fuel economy and you can also do some driving in EV mode. If you leave it in hybrid mode the entire time and never charge up, then you'll be unable to go very far at all in EV mode, and the car effectively runs much like a Prius.

The new Octy vRS is available with the 245PS version of this powertrain BTW ;)

italianjob

Oct 21, 2014
Middlesbrough
It all depends which 'mode' the car is in.

There are effectively 5 main modes - EV, Hybrid, Hold, Charge, and what I think will be called Sport - called 'GTE' mode in the VWs.

EV and Hybrid are as you'd expect. Hybrid will try and and maximise efficiency. Hold keeps the battery at the level of charge it's got in it- for example, if you are going on a long journey, you can use Hold to keep some charge in the battery for the city driving when you get near your destination. Charge is self-explanatory. Sport will keep the petrol motor on, and will always deliver full power, and will also charge the battery.

The battery in all modes is kept over a certain percentage- I would imagine roughly 15%, given a 10% buffer for the health of the Li-Ion cells, and 5% buffer to use to torque fill. If you're at that 15%, and floor it, then you'll dip below that 15% briefly, but once you're off the accelerator the car will charge the battery back up to 15%.

If you keep the car charged up each night, you improve your fuel economy and you can also do some driving in EV mode. If you leave it in hybrid mode the entire time and never charge up, then you'll be unable to go very far at all in EV mode, and the car effectively runs much like a Prius.

The new Octy vRS is available with the 245PS version of this powertrain BTW ;)
Great explanation!

I've had several Octavias and Leons and currently have a Superb. I've alternated between SEAT and Skoda for years now but struggling
to decide on what to get next. I can't fault the Superb though and ideally would like a 272.

The EV/Hybrids are starting to pique my interest though.

corbu33

Oct 24, 2020
Italian job you are like me :) also had a Superb and some Skodas but me never a Seat... unfortunately this time for me Octavia is out of the picture as I saw a massive gap (of course in my interpretation) between Leon and Octavia (in favor of Leon of course)... steering, sound insulation, sound system, interior with ambient led... have to say Octavia is ok is practical but when I test drove the Leon it stuck to my heart :) I cannot explain more... since then I am watching every review of Leon I can get ... and mainly looking for the e-hybrid reviews but there aren't many and the 2-3 that are out there are kinda crap and not in english. Hope to order by end of year Leon FR Desire Red Sport Tourer 204HP PHEV. Hope it will be ok in handling as well... next week I will test drive the Cupra ST 245 (as it has the same drivetrain and weight so at least I will have a better opinion). I wanted the pure hatch but ST is needed for trunk space... 270lit is too low.

To be honest I think all electric car in the future will drive less sporty or they might come up with a weight ratio distribution that will be good to keep the car balanced. At least it has the multilink suspension.

Or I can wait the 190 TSI in march... but... both of 2 worlds sounds better and more Horse Power :) and consumption will be probably the same as I cannot charge it very often. So for me just handling is a question and estate version (I would have preferred the hatch).

Last edited:

vc-10

Mar 29, 2016
My parents loved their old Mk.2 Superb. You can get the 204PS hybrid in the Superb too. I'm trying to convince my parents that they should get one, but dad wants something taller, and their budget won't stretch to something like the Tiguan e-Hybrid. My last car was a 2016 Fabia TSI, which was an excellent little car.

PHEVs only work if you can charge them. @corbu33 if you can't charge it, I doubt it's worth it, especially as you'll pay a good premium over a regular 2.0 TSI. I don't think you'd notice the extra 14PS given the additional weight of the battery etc. I wouldn't be surprised if the e-Hybrid gave a marginally worse fuel economy than the Budak-cycle 2.0 TSI when not plugged in.

I'm personally planning to go down the pure-EV route for my next car. I'm thinking ID.3 but my Ibiza is only a year and a half old, so I've got a little while!

corbu33

Oct 24, 2020
Pure EV yes correct but unfortunately not yet for my country and the way I use it. You are right with comparing the engines. But as price with goverment subsidize is cheaper the PHEV. so for me not fuel consumption is the biggest problem and still if you use 50km worth of fuel to charge around 70% battery and than drive 40 electric still is good deal. Or charging on the last 50km to a city in order to enter the city in full electric still good... also from gadget point of view :) I love double personality :)

corbu33

Oct 24, 2020
Superb is way too big for my needs and I had it is a really nice car you might say perfect but no need for it now.

vc-10

Mar 29, 2016
Oh definitely. It totally lives up to its name. The Superb is a in a different class size wise to the Leon or Octavia. Of course tax makes things change a lot. Here in the UK there is no tax advantage for the private buyer, but huge tax advantages for company car drivers.

We (collectively, as a society) have to work out how best to charge EVs for those who don't live in a nice suburban house with a driveway! I'm lucky in that I have a parking space behind my house where I could charge easily, and a landlord who wouldn't mind me putting in a charger. But people who live in apartment blocks? Or in terraced houses where you park on the street? Very different matter.

Having said that, one friend of mine who lives in London totally relies on ZipCar. He normally takes the tube into central London when he needs to, but when he needs a car, he just rents a ZipCar e-Golf. Which makes a lot of sense.

AndrewJB

Friend to SEAT UK & Cupra Racing
Aug 16, 2007
Maranello
I've got a Leon Hybrid being delivered this morning, is it possible to just use it in electric mode? with working from home etc will only be using it for shopping 6-10 miles. Want to see how it does compared to the electric BMW 5 series I had a while ago, that had a 32 mile range than was flat after 12.

vc-10

Mar 29, 2016
There are two hybrid systems. One is the mild hybrid system, which is the normal 150PS 1.5 TSI with a belt-driven starter/alternator and a battery under the front seats. That car can't run in EV mode. The PHEV system has a 1.4 TSI engine and a ~110PS electric motor, and can run approx 30 miles on EV power with a full charge. The PHEV has a charge port on the front left wing.

C_ED_99

Jan 27, 2010
I've got a Leon Hybrid being delivered this morning, is it possible to just use it in electric mode? with working from home etc will only be using it for shopping 6-10 miles. Want to see how it does compared to the electric BMW 5 series I had a while ago, that had a 32 mile range than was flat after 12.

Yes charge it up and hit the EV button. I would expect you'd be doing well to get 20 miles out of it, unless you are stuck within a 30mph limit going to the shops and back?

corbu33

Oct 24, 2020
@AndrewJB ... wow nice... did you take it for a spin... how is it, I have many questions :). One quick one, does the hood of the car has sound insulation mounted on it for the engine compartiment? I have seen review of different engines for the FR trim and all of them had this insualtion mounted on the hood, and I saw recently a PHEv review and that PHEV Leon did not have that sound insulation mounted on the hood. Can you say or better put some pictures for your car, how it is.

Thx, much appreciated,

AndrewJB

Friend to SEAT UK & Cupra Racing
Aug 16, 2007
Maranello
So it got dropped off yesterday Leon FR E-Hybrid 204ps model... I plugged it in yesterday about 10am came out to it today at about 10am (was working from home yesterday so didn't use it) and it hasn't charged!

Found out the extension I used if not fully unwound will only provide 5amp, unwound will provide 13amp, unwound it and its charged now!

I'm going to use it around MK as much as I can (I'm working from home and gyms closed so wont be doing my usual 15 mile commute) but want to see how I get on with "electric only" of course I will give it a few boots in full mode as well.

Also going to connect OBD Eleven and Carista to it.