New Ibiza bocanegra video.....see what you think

Rich666

The video guy!
Aug 20, 2005
Leeds
www.richard-spawforth.com
As a MK3 owner i was excited when asked to shoot the new ibiza....i have to say i was a little disappointed! I had the car for one full day so admittedly not really long enough to form a full opinion....but i agree with the review. The reviewer had the car for a full week on loan from Seat and wrote the review...i merely shot and cut it. Anyway thought you gals and girls might like to take a look:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hsmKUU3Tz2o

see what you think......

Rich

mainaman

Feb 19, 2010
London
It's the same old s:censored:t reviewers bleat about...

Lack of fun and excitement,lose the DSG,cheap interior,blah-f:censored:g-blah.

I am not denying any of these observations,but how can you mark the whole car down as a missed opportunity,when there is NOTHING else like it in the hot-hatch sector?

Yes,it's not as ''placeable'' as other cars,but the drive is very competent once you adjust your driving style to its characteristics and how many hot hatches combine looks,performance,levels of eqipment,running costs and approaches to driving as well as it does.

There are more exciting cars and there are more ''premium'' feeling ones,but the Seat probably offers the most as a daily driver with a wild side...

Last edited:

mardon

Feel the DIFFerence
Sep 22, 2008
A bean bag
The DSG does wind me up at times, more so when I got the car. But now I love it! I get 40MPG+ on the way to work 450miles to a tank and it is great fun to drive (even more so now I’ve upgraded the suspension and rear ARB). The DSG is a beast when you're giving it some on the lanes you never have to take your hands off the wheels and once you know the power band it’s a piece of cake to flip dow 2-3 gears for tricky corners. TBH I can see why people don’t like DSG at first, it does takes time to adapt.

I had a choice between scirocco and my Boc. I'd choose the boc every time and I know which one gets the most attention! Seriously 9-10 times I fill up someone will comment on the car. I also don’t really get the bad comments on the interior. Its smart, well laid out and solid. It is worlds apart from the rattle box mk4 and certainly looks more interesting than the blandness of my dad’s C class merc interior.

CupraDean

Brrrmmm Tttsssssss
Dec 11, 2009
Newbury
Oh dear... i think this reviewer has been driving too many maybe upper market cars? such as Audi's, BMW.. etc and is comparing... at end of day a standard boc is 17k... and you get your moneys worth in my opinion... i had choice of scirocco, corsa VXR and a cupra... i have gone with the cupra just as corsa is nice to drive and got plenty of power but insurance is ridiculous... scirocco i found was too wide a car for where i live as i live in countryside... and just didnt feel right when i test drove it. But cupra... seemed amazing. sorry but in my own opinion i thing hot hatches appeal more to the younger generation, let some between 19-25 review.

MacFever

Nov 30, 2009
Brussels
I have driven exotic cars (Porsche, Lotus etc) but I find the stealth and performance of my FR really great. And I am 43 years old ...

CupraDean

Brrrmmm Tttsssssss
Dec 11, 2009
Newbury
it wasnt meant in a nasty way macfever, just saying many hot hatches appeal to younger, due to smaller engine, cheaper insurance etc etc.

Octane2097

Naturally Aspirated
Jan 20, 2007
South Yorkshire
problem with the reviews is they all focus on the negative side of having an auto
i wouldnt say you lose the fun of driving a manual, its a diffrent type of fun
remember the Citroen C2 VTR? that came with an paddleshift only gearbox (and not a very good one)
and all the reviews raved over it?
i dont understand why in the ibiza its getting bad press for the DSG when its simply a great gearbox!

i will say this tho, choice between sirocco and ibiza i would have the sirocco myself, because i think it gourgous. but to equip a sirocco with the same kit as my FR with same engine, same gearbox would be almost 22k! not to mention about £200 a year xtra insurance

warren_cox

Back from the dead
I think the point raised above about getting a younger 'hack' to review the cars is a pertinent one.

I also think you want different things from cars as you go through life, and some middle age hack very often just wont get what the car is being aimed at with respect to the target market, particularly if he has spent the rest of the day testing a 911.

I drove the Cupra last year, and it has an amazing engine, a lively drive, but I found myself looking around the cabin wondering where the Bose stereo / double DIN Nav / and brushed aluminium trimmings were (and like stated by Mardon, I was a undecided about the DGS box due to the short time spent with it).

I love everything about it, but feel where SEAT have missed out (unlike the upcoming MiTo GTA for instance), is there are too limited an options pack to spec up the luxuries. They will give you a DSG box (over a grandsworth of option) in the price, and offer a grands worth of brakes, but then offer no heated leather buckets, upgraded subwoofered HDD Nav with full music interface for iPod etc... Although I am in my mid thirties, if they extended these kind of options it is a car I would consider in the future, and by not doing so I think they limit their target market further (for those without kids looking for a compact super compact hot hatch - like back to the Mk1 Golf GTi).

It's a great car, with some fantastic features; but when I got back in the slightly overly refined and wooden Audi, the interior is just so well made it makes many cars feel a bit under designed. Problem is you get used to it and compare everything by it, and journos are supposed to be independent; they SHOULD NOT do this. They should review every car by the merits of what it offers their target market, and not whether it appeals to them as a personal choice of car for their specific needs.

Dannydp

Jan 26, 2007
Theirs alot to learn when you first get behind the wheel of one of these cars, it was a complete culture shock for me, going from a manual Fr TDI to a 1.4 TSI DSG. I've found the whole learning experience actually makes the car better, takes longer for the new feeling to wear off if you know what I mean. Once you have finally sussed out everything and got used to the gear set up the smiles just keep coming, this car gains speed like nothing I've ever driven. The interior could do with a touch of class but everything works fine and is sturdy enough. It gets an 8.5/10 from me. Things that would make the car perfect for me, better interior, lower ride hight, less restrictive DSG and I don't find the ride firm like the guy in the review said. Great car :happy:

jc_boc

Missing the CUPRA R!
Jul 18, 2008
Desborough
I like what you say Warren. I am mid 30's myself but fortunately (for me!) no kids. I have always been a super mini hot hatch person, irrispective of manufacturer. Just been more geared towards the VAG goup and I tell you from the first day I drove the boc I was in love with it. I didn't make the mistake of trying to compare it to any other cars I have driven and I tell you compared to what's on offer in the same segment, i personally feel this car has most of it which gives it an equal spread across all requirements for a car of this calibre. I drive all sorts at work, Bentley GT, Porsche GT, Aston DBS, Maserrati and yes they are all out of this world, if you have that kind of money. Also versus the scirroco in the same engine trim and spec mode yes you are already roughly 3-4k over the price of a boc. So all in all the boc is a good priced car and still for me a little more special than the scirroco as tou see many of those around and not too many Bocs. I also think with the limit they have placed on the Boc and Cupra these cars will be a little more select to the market than the mass appeal of the VW. Just my opinion anyway..........................

mainaman

Feb 19, 2010
London
The Seat offers different driving experience,it may not seem as exciting and capable around the corners like,say,Clio 200,but in reality it covers ground faster in straight line and out of corners.

The DSG make the whole experience a little clinical,but over time it shows its worth,both in everyday and spirited driving.It's fast,smooth,aids performance and economy and has manual override,where you keep your hands on the wheel-what's not to like?

Apart from the steering and the the mild understeer i don't see many driving deficiences.

As for the cheap interior no rival betters it for the price,the looks are subjectively great,the economy,emissions,insurance,motorway refinement-class leading.

Last edited:

mardon

Feel the DIFFerence
Sep 22, 2008
A bean bag
I'd put money that mine will stay with a Clio 200 on track now. Saying that if you chuck over a grand at the clio 200's suspension maybe the lead would be regained, not a particularly fair comparison. Throw a Revo into the mix and the story may change again, the clio's NA engine is not as tuneable cost wise as our turbo lump.

Rich666

The video guy!
Aug 20, 2005
Leeds
www.richard-spawforth.com
Naughty boy, overtaking on a double white line. Tut tut!

Haha! That was the guy who was writing the review driving!

As i said, i shot and cut it but the review wasn't written by me. I have to say though i do agree with what's said. Its certainly not a bad car in any respect but just not as exciting as others i've worked within the same area of the market.

Its true tho that motoring journalists do spend a lot of time jumping in and out of BMW's and mercs etc....i think they have to be careful when reviewing cars like this and make sure they put there hatchback head on! Either way, it was an enjoyable shoot and i am pretty happy with both the shots and pace of the video :D

mainaman

Feb 19, 2010
London
I'd put money that mine will stay with a Clio 200 on track now. Saying that if you chuck over a grand at the clio 200's suspension maybe the lead would be regained, not a particularly fair comparison. Throw a Revo into the mix and the story may change again, the clio's NA engine is not as tuneable cost wise as our turbo lump.

You would be surprised at its lap times...The Cupra is as fast as Clio 200 at Evo Magazine's Bedford track on STANDARD suspension,on some tracks it is faster than bigger hatchbacks as Focus ST and Astra VXR.DSG,torque,XDS,low weight and well-sorted suspension negate the mild understeer balance of the Seat.

Tuning-wise it betters the Clio by a long way...

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise