New Leon mk4 thoughts

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
Just trying to work out what the benefit of having the eTSI is over the straight petrol 1.5 when the 'hybrid' is quoted on the pricelist as having a worse CO2 figure and (slightly) worse mpg as well as costing £2K more :think:

I think the difference is the transmission. It looks as if the1.5 eTSI mild hybrid is DSG only whereas the straight petrol 1.5 TSI only comes with a manual gearbox, so a large chunk of the extra £2k for the mild hybrid will be for the cost of the DSG transmission.

An article in Autocar states that VW are claiming the1.5 eTSI in the mk8 Golf is around 10% more economical than the conventional 1.5 TSI engine - presumably this would also be the case with the Leon. The problem is, because the1.5 eTSI is DSG only and the conventional 1.5 TSI is manual only, its not possible to validate this mpg claim as you can’t compare mpg figures of;
  • a 1.5 eTSI / DSG to a 1.5 TSI / DSG as there isn’t a 1.5 TSI / DSG.
  • a 1.5 eTSI / manual to a 1.5 TSI / manual as there isn‘t a manual 1.5eTSI.
Autocar article at the link below;

Reactions: Seriously?

Seriously?

Apr 20, 2018
I think the difference is the transmission. It looks as if the1.5 eTSI mild hybrid is DSG only whereas the straight petrol 1.5 TSI only comes with a manual gearbox, so a large chunk of the extra £2k for the mild hybrid will be for the cost of the DSG transmission.

An article in Autocar states that VW are claiming the1.5 eTSI in the mk8 Golf is around 10% more economical than the conventional 1.5 TSI engine - presumably this would also be the case with the Leon. The problem is, because the1.5 eTSI is DSG only and the conventional 1.5 TSI is manual only, its not possible to validate this mpg claim as you can’t compare mpg figures of;
  • a 1.5 eTSI / DSG to a 1.5 TSI / DSG as there isn’t a 1.5 TSI / DSG.
  • a 1.5 eTSI / manual to a 1.5 TSI / manual as there isn‘t a manual 1.5eTSI.
Autocar article at the link below;

Good point well made; it's not possible to compare like-for-like. I wonder what the rationale for not offering a DSG with the straight petrol model is? Or maybe it'll arrive at a later date.

Reactions: SRGTD

Goot

There Can Be Only One!
Sep 9, 2002
Cheshire
Is the Leon still due to get the 2.0 TSI 190PS engine? Do we have any idea on UK availability?

AndrewJB

Friend to SEAT UK & Cupra Racing
Aug 16, 2007
Maranello
Currently got a FR 1.5 130PS

I like the car itself, I just don't like the 130ps lump, dont think I'd like the 150ps either to be honest, FR needs 200+

Vag8

Jul 5, 2019
Yeah the manual it’s geared long as anything so need to drop about 3 cogs to overtake. Even then overtaking is still scary

overtaking requires 3 weeks notice in writing.... and when you do drop the cogs the engine is loud and and unrefined.

one of the worst engines in what otherwise is a good car, came from the old 1.4 150 act and they are worlds apart in performance and driving enjoyment.

Rick89

May 10, 2019
Went down to local dealership last week to have a mooch around the Cupra Ateca (which by the way is awesome) and they had the new Leon parked by the entrance, boring and unimaginative is and understatement, I almost didn't notice it! Thought it looked decent when I first saw the TV ad but seeing it in the flesh has made me think twice. Hope the MK4 Cupra doesn't have the same effect.

BigJase88

Jase
Apr 20, 2008
Went down to local dealership last week to have a mooch around the Cupra Ateca (which by the way is awesome) and they had the new Leon parked by the entrance, boring and unimaginative is and understatement, I almost didn't notice it! Thought it looked decent when I first saw the TV ad but seeing it in the flesh has made me think twice. Hope the MK4 Cupra doesn't have the same effect.
The Cupra is worse!

The FR is a nicer looking car than the Cupra by a long long way

Rick89

May 10, 2019
Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.