New Leon mk4 thoughts

markm49uk

Oct 15, 2015
Hull,UK
Hmmm I'm not sure...I'm around 75-25 in favour of liking it. Rims are horrendous, interior is a massive improvement and I'm a sucker for the body creasing, particularly on it's back end. Certain angles it looks decent, others it looks shocking. Stance looks all wrong too. Copper overload.
See I look at it and I see the interior as very basic and a set back from my 2020 Cupra. It just looks naff. Glad I have the MK3 I have to say.

markm49uk

Oct 15, 2015
Hull,UK
Went down to local dealership last week to have a mooch around the Cupra Ateca (which by the way is awesome) and they had the new Leon parked by the entrance, boring and unimaginative is and understatement, I almost didn't notice it! Thought it looked decent when I first saw the TV ad but seeing it in the flesh has made me think twice. Hope the MK4 Cupra doesn't have the same effect.
Same here - I went in to pick my new Cupra up 3 weeks ago and walked straight past it. It is unbelievably bland.

Rick89

May 10, 2019
See I look at it and I see the interior as very basic and a set back from my 2020 Cupra. It just looks naff. Glad I have the MK3 I have to say.
To be honest I’m still bitter about the seats in my MK3. The European models come standard with full leather bucket seats (Apparently) and are way above the ones in ours. I like the alcantara finish over the LUX’s leather but would’ve paid extra if the bucket option was available at the time. I’m ok with the minimalist look and much prefer the steering wheel - including moving the cupra button to where they have.

markm49uk

Oct 15, 2015
Hull,UK
To be honest I’m still bitter about the seats in my MK3. The European models come standard with full leather bucket seats (Apparently) and are way above the ones in ours. I like the alcantara finish over the LUX’s leather but would’ve paid extra if the bucket option was available at the time. I’m ok with the minimalist look and much prefer the steering wheel - including moving the cupra button to where they have.
My Lux seats are alcantera buckets.

Tell

Staff member
To resolve the map questions & follow the link throu to the main navigation thread.

I'm looking for Leon 4 techi people to do the following to resolve whether Mapcare is now free like VW & Skodas. To resolve this need:
  • Check build codes for any mention of mapcare durations, present or not etc UK & Europe (Erwin / dealer print out)
  • Check & photograph installed FECs (See how to bring up FECs on Ateca thread), ditto UK & Europe. Will give a clue. Assuming FECs are brought up the same way, pick installed ones.
  • Check & photograph the information screen, the hardware, firmware, map version screen (the old mib2 version map check)
Pictures of all would be helpful to resolve whether Mapcare is dead and burried and you just have the annual connection eSim on cost after the first year or just download the updates twice a year for free. That's the VW / Skoda pricing model with the Mib3.

Tell

Staff member
Substantiated that it uses Here Maps rather than TomTom which is a start (saw my cartography :eek:). Got a VIN code to look at the build codes on a UK demo model. Didn't manage to find the FEC screen (forgot was going to do a list and come back but they said you can look now...). The map info screen on the serial version was illusive. Might have been looking in the wrong place, may be suppressed until you try to do an update.

Not sure whether Mib3 still uses FECs. Another question.

There are 3D versions and the 2.5 which is equivalent to mib2 standard maps but using Here Maps. Same upload does both we know that from the VW site. This was not 3D on this car... went looking for a castle that's in the mib2 high... but will check the build codes to study them against the German Leon 4 offering which provides 3D as an option and anything else that might say with or without mapcare and any limits. There is another Mapcare code I stumbled on European Leons 4s. Suspect a Cupra version will have all the navigation bells and whistles.

It's a learning curve. :oops:

Tell

Staff member
OK here are the build codes for a UK LEÓN 1.5eTSIFR 5d110 D8IA7 demonstrators with the sales type KL15FZ. Build codes are good so table the lot below in an Excel sheet. Came off ErWin. It's always useful to know your build codes.

Still question about the MIB3. Reckon it has the base unit it described without the SD / CDR drive so you would not update from an SD card although map updates are done via USB-C. The build code CDR Data storage device for EU, integrated feels like that's where the SD card reader has vanished - fine didn't need it. ZN2 is required for 3D maps which is the old Mib2 code for the high with 3D maps. The unit I reckon is a ZN1 / hybrid with the missing SD / CDR drive - tell me I'm wrong :unsure:. There is no mention of Mapcare on the build codes.

I found a Slovakia Xcellence online LEON 1.5 TSIXCELL5d96 DQ9M6 which I looked the build codes up. Again it's a ZN1 not 3D. This time it lists Mapcare and mentions that SD card ?. I have tabled that at the end. German website on their material says free mapcare but again not clear whether this is free as in VW / Skoda completely free for life or just free for a limited period.

The question remains whether Seat UK have buried mapcare and it's now free for life for offline updates on the UK hardware or whether it's lurking there for anybody who does not retain the online contract. e.g. they can't update it off line ?.

So semantics all navigation systems are high, 2d mapping is build code ZN1, 3D is ZN2. Pesky PZ4 we wait to hear about.

Attachments

• Comparison.zip
    17.7 KB · Views: 133

Nathan penney

Jul 8, 2017
Liverpool
Well, today I popped into Seat dealer as I’m possibly considering a brand new car for the first time since 2006.
LCR will be staying but really need a new family car so considering finance again.
Had a good look round the Mk4- both estate and hatch.
Hatch looks better close up than it does In a magazine or on web, estate not sure about. Quite bulbous looking around the back end compared to what I thought it looks like on the images I’d seen.
Both kinda just blend in with so many other cars on the road but they’re certainly not ugly.
The special ‘first edition’ has wheels that the FR should have imo. Not convinced by the mild e hybrid technology (or whatever it’s called) that’s standard on the first edition either. From the description I was given by the sales manager all sounds a bit pointless to me and expensive but I didn’t drive it so can’t really comment.
The inside fit and finish seem spot on but I don’t know how I’d get on with the screen.
Sure it’d only take a few goes to get used to it.
Price seems reasonable for a brand new model to be fair but I’m going to be looking at other makes and models over the next few weeks before deciding what to do.

Reactions: Tell and Syphon

Izzy77

Feb 6, 2017
Hi all.

I just collected my Mark 4 Leon FR 2.0 diesel DSG launch model a few days ago. It really does look better in the flesh. I have owned all previous marks starting in 2001 and especially loved mk 3.
I really like this one - the design, lights both in and out, the drive and the interior. Yes it takes a while to get used to the screen but once you do, it's fine. There's just so much more on it compared to previous models. Don't be put off by the lack of knobs and buttons. More room in the back too. Give it a go!

Reactions: Tell and Syphon

Syphon

Site Owner
Staff member
Feb 28, 2002
South West
www.seatcupra.net
Hi all.

I just collected my Mark 4 Leon FR 2.0 diesel DSG launch model a few days ago. It really does look better in the flesh. I have owned all previous marks starting in 2001 and especially loved mk 3.
I really like this one - the design, lights both in and out, the drive and the interior. Yes it takes a while to get used to the screen but once you do, it's fine. There's just so much more on it compared to previous models. Don't be put off by the lack of knobs and buttons. More room in the back too. Give it a go!

Congrats on the car!

Scott

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.