New member from Hastings, East Sussex

DanielC

May 8, 2023
Hastings
Hi everyone, I’ve been using the forum to read up on the dreaded water in footwell/ airbag sensor problem and have found it very useful. I’m attempting repair for my MOT and have posted to request vag-com help or a spare (sensor) part, if anyone has one.

About me: I’ve always been whimsical with cars, my first car was a Citroen 2CV and my second was a SEAT Toledo Mk1 Diesel. I loved the boxy style of these so when I spotted a red Toledo 2.0 16v GT for sale, I jumped at it. I absolutely loved this car and it gave me no trouble. At 20 years old, I was the envy of my friends. I moved to London and sold it when I realised I hadn’t driven it in 6 months. I wish I hadn’t. I’ve had a few cars over the years, including a Jankel Rolls-Royce and a GMC Typhoon but since I’ve got older (and less disposable income!), I take pride in buying the cheapest old car I can find and not worrying about supermarket dinks etc. I always liked the 90s/early 00s styling on the SEAT and when someone crashed into my £800 Primera, I bought a £675 05 1.4 Leon. It’s not fast but I use it to cart things around, have roof bars etc and I like it. Except I’m not looking forward to doing all the door seals as it’s soaking wet! I do think I may get a vag-com setup one day though and start learning more about these old SEATs. I suppose the old adage is true - you never forget your first love! Thanks for reading and for the community posts and help. It’s a really useful forum. Ta

Reactions: Bear

Seastormer

Cupra Leon VZ2 300/CBF1000
Apr 25, 2014
Edinburgh (Scotland)
Hi everyone, I’ve been using the forum to read up on the dreaded water in footwell/ airbag sensor problem and have found it very useful. I’m attempting repair for my MOT and have posted to request vag-com help or a spare (sensor) part, if anyone has one.

About me: I’ve always been whimsical with cars, my first car was a Citroen 2CV and my second was a SEAT Toledo Mk1 Diesel. I loved the boxy style of these so when I spotted a red Toledo 2.0 16v GT for sale, I jumped at it. I absolutely loved this car and it gave me no trouble. At 20 years old, I was the envy of my friends. I moved to London and sold it when I realised I hadn’t driven it in 6 months. I wish I hadn’t. I’ve had a few cars over the years, including a Jankel Rolls-Royce and a GMC Typhoon but since I’ve got older (and less disposable income!), I take pride in buying the cheapest old car I can find and not worrying about supermarket dinks etc. I always liked the 90s/early 00s styling on the SEAT and when someone crashed into my £800 Primera, I bought a £675 05 1.4 Leon. It’s not fast but I use it to cart things around, have roof bars etc and I like it. Except I’m not looking forward to doing all the door seals as it’s soaking wet! I do think I may get a vag-com setup one day though and start learning more about these old SEATs. I suppose the old adage is true - you never forget your first love! Thanks for reading and for the community posts and help. It’s a really useful forum. Ta
Welcome to SCN, some range of cars you have had, I remember my first car for all the wrong reasons, it was rubbish a Mini back in 1983 had faults all the time. Bought Metro's after that and not much better, bought my first SEAT in 1996 a Biza GTI 1.8 and it was great, and so my SEAT journey began. Had Biza's TDI sport, Cupra PD 180, two Twincharger Cupra's followed, till I bought my first Leon Cupra 280 in 2014 which I had for near 8 years fault free. Bought the CUPRA Leon last year and had to get used to having hardly any buttons and needing to use menus for almost anything. The car is a good upgrade but a bit to techie for an old duffer like me, who still does not want to go pipe and slippers yet, and has a quick bike too. Hope your car gets thru it's MOT ok.

DanielC

May 8, 2023
Hastings
Hey, thanks for the reply! I remember people saying those old Ibiza’s had Porsche-built engines. Never checked it out to see if true but stuck in my head for some reason. I didn’t realise they made a 1.8- that must have been amazing! Sounds like you’ve really worked your way through the SEAT/Cupra range. I’ve finally got myself an error code scanner and may upgrade to the vag-com set up at some point. I’d like to see if I can keep this ol’ girl on the road for as long as I can. Perhaps one day I’ll get something a bit sportier (mk1 Leon Cupra perhaps) once I’ve got to know the cars better - and when they fix the potholes blighting the country! Cheers!

DanielC

May 8, 2023
Hastings
Welcome to SCN, some range of cars you have had, I remember my first car for all the wrong reasons, it was rubbish a Mini back in 1983 had faults all the time. Bought Metro's after that and not much better, bought my first SEAT in 1996 a Biza GTI 1.8 and it was great, and so my SEAT journey began. Had Biza's TDI sport, Cupra PD 180, two Twincharger Cupra's followed, till I bought my first Leon Cupra 280 in 2014 which I had for near 8 years fault free. Bought the CUPRA Leon last year and had to get used to having hardly any buttons and needing to use menus for almost anything. The car is a good upgrade but a bit to techie for an old duffer like me, who still does not want to go pipe and slippers yet, and has a quick bike too. Hope your car gets thru it's MOT ok.
Hey, sorry fluffed the reply function earlier- replied below but was since looking up the Ibiza GTI. Just wanted to say, what a great looking car. Been reading the reviews too. That must have been so much fun. Rare too by the sounds of it. I wish I still had my old Toledo but I don’t think there are any left…

May 27, 2023
Hey, thanks for the reply! I remember people saying those old Ibiza’s had Porsche-built engines. Never checked it out to see if true but stuck in my head for some reason. I didn’t realise they made a 1.8- that must have been amazing! Sounds like you’ve really worked your way through the SEAT/Cupra range. I’ve finally got myself an error code scanner and may upgrade to the vag-com set up at some point. I’d like to see if I can keep this ol’ girl on the road for as long as I can. Perhaps one day I’ll get something a bit sportier (mk1 Leon Cupra perhaps) once I’ve got to know the cars better - and when they fix the potholes blighting the country! Cheers!
Hi Daniel. I'm a new member from Hastings too. Laughed at the last line here about the potholes! I was in Alexandra Park last weekend having an ice cream when a dad was pushing his baby along on the grass when he hit a pothole on the grass and the kid nearly fell out! Still, better than the state of our roads here! Not sure if you've used them yet but Bartlett's Seat up the road are brilliant, especially the parts and service guys.

DanielC

May 8, 2023
Hastings
Hi Daniel. I'm a new member from Hastings too. Laughed at the last line here about the potholes! I was in Alexandra Park last weekend having an ice cream when a dad was pushing his baby along on the grass when he hit a pothole on the grass and the kid nearly fell out! Still, better than the state of our roads here! Not sure if you've used them yet but Bartlett's Seat up the road are brilliant, especially the parts and service guys.
Hey Blouse, thanks for the reply and welcome to the site. I managed to sort my issue with help from the guys on here. I’m a real cheapskate so I use a mechanic on Caves Road, St Leonards who is unbelievably low-priced and decent. If I get a better car I may go for branded garage but this guy’s not let me down yet and is good for keeping the old banger on the road. Yes, the baby was lucky not to roll out onto the grass in Alexandra Park- never know what you’ll land in there!