new member with a few questions regarding Cupra 300....

Pij

Oct 29, 2020
Hi guys, been mooching about this site for a while now, but am thinking about upgrading from my 2015 Leon SC184 to 2018/19 Cupra 300 5 door due to reduction in my commute along with concerns over getting another diesel and not being able to sell it in 3/4 years time due to tax increases etc...

I'm currently only in the office once a week (110 mile round trip which is 90% motorway) due to covid, but even post covid (whenever that will be) I expect it to only be 3 days a week which will bring my mileage down to approx 16k/year.

I'm thinking a manual due to mostly motorway miles and have read that the wheel hop is easier to manage with a manual as well (i don't have a heavy right foot and won't be launching it everywhere..)

So...

1. What sort of mpg am I looking at assuming commute will mostly be in comfort mode running 70-80mph, mid 30s?

2. Assuming running comfort mode around town/getting onto motorway, how bad is wheel hop likely to be in a manual? I don't tend to mash the throttle from a standing start and my manual FR184 has the same amount of torque (less power obvs) and I don't have any issues with that?

Appreciate any advice and thanks in advance, Neil

black_sheep

Mar 10, 2013
I’m fairly certain that in the UK, late 2018/19 Cupras are DSG only; this also coincided with the fitment of the 7 spd from the Golf R.

If you drive steadily you can achieve 30s (albeit ST with 4drive) and DSG. With DSG you can also put it in individual mode with engine/settings to Eco, so that it coasts when off power in commute.

In terms of the wheel hop, if you read the numerous threads, this can be reduced with better tyres (Michelin PS4S’s are highly recommended) and dog bone mount (a fairly easy diy job).

In terms of the diesel question, this is an interesting one. The new 2020 Audi S4, S5, S6 etc are all now diesel powered.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pij

Pij

Oct 29, 2020
thanks for for the response.

I guess what I'm seeing on Autotrader must be early 2018 then. Seems to be a bunch of manual 300's with about 25-30k for between £18-20k..

is the wheel hop more down to driving style, ie - flooring it in 1st/2nd everywhere, or is it going to be unavoidable? I've read a lot of the comments/fixes for this but just wondering how bad it actually is if you're careful on the throttle at lower speeds... I know its a cupra butIi don't have the need to drive it like a nutter all of the time...

re - diesel, its a tough one as most of the German manufactures are still building quick oil burners and it still makes sense for me with the miles I do, but I just don't trust UK politicians to make informed decisions over the next few years....?

Tonezz

Jan 12, 2011
Preston
In my 280 I can get 29-30 in a pretty short distance if you are really easy on the throttle, so an easy throttle long journey is easy 30's.

The wheel hop only happens trying to floor it from standing and when its wet, if you get rolling first you're usually alright.

CupraGeezer

May 11, 2018
300s are available with a manual gearbox as well as DSG, it's the later 290 that's only available as a 7-speed DSG.

I haven't driven a 184 but wheel hop will likely be a little worse in a Cupra due the the lighter engine but I only have a problem whem I'm accelerating into a gap with cold or wet tarmac. Most of the time it isn't a problem and, as @black_sheep says, it can be reduced with good tyres and a dogbone insert.

I have a 280 SC DSG and get 40 mpg if I stick to 70 mph and 35 mpg if spending significant time at 80 mph. A 300 would give similar figures.

Reactions: Pij and black_sheep

black_sheep

Mar 10, 2013
300s are available with a manual gearbox as well as DSG, it's the later 290 that's only available as a 7-speed DSG.
Yes - you are correct. Hatch is the 290 from Oct 18 (ST still 300 ;-)).

OP was after 2018/19 cars (assuming with digital dash etc) - however, due to WLTP delays, not too sure how many were actually registered in 2018. Most of us that ordered Jan - Mar 18 didn’t see our cars arrive until Oct/Nov 18 onwards, and with the Copper spec!

xyz

Feb 28, 2004
oxford
Visit site
If you get a manual, be prepared to fork out for a new clutch. I’ve had my Golf R manual from new (2016). It’s never been launched and my clutch is going now on 39,500 miles. Others have lasted a lot less. One guy in a Clubsport S had to have a new clutch at 17,500 miles so budget for this when buying.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

DigitalSushi

Sep 7, 2020
With cruise and a reasonably empty road at 80 i can get 32-35 (dsg)

Wheel hop is really down to the right foot. Plant it to the floor and it will do it for days but you can still launch quickly when needs be without it, however you do have to look at the road surface in front of you as it can be triggered by potholes. you do tend to learn the pedal after a week or so to avoid it.

I was sceptical about dsg, thought manual would be better. Will never look back now having owned dsg on this. Best of both worlds

280jl

Nov 20, 2015
Bromley
Wheel hop is a problem, and can be helped with the dog bone insert.

Or more so, with throttle control, after getting used to a 280 for 3 years and a 300 for 2, I know when it will do it or not, tyres also really help, michelins seem to just spin and not be as much as a problem

Reactions: Peller

Peller

Mar 29, 2016
Edinburgh
Defo throttle control. I read another post regarding turning the TC off.

I tried it and it does seem to ease it but the wheels will spin up (even going to 3rd)

It's a hard job to modulate the power. You'll find the right point before you break the traction limt after a while.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

Reactions: 280jl
Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.