New MIB3 navigation download

WaveyDaveyGravy

But I'm so tasty
Jan 3, 2006
Shipley
There is a new download present here for Ateca MIB3

I downloaded it and have so far roundly failed to get anything to happen - no prompts or anything to force it. It does say it updates in the background but the original mapping it still in the system. Any ideas?

Tell

Staff member
It got me excited at the time when I saw them listed on VW site back a few years. They do nothing. The front import option is disabled on West European cars so I read. Mute point why they publish them thou. Whether you could import via a back end menu, pass on that, don't have mib3... just trusty mib2. That would be SWDL enabled. Thats just conjecture, might work. You'd have to see whether you could enable the developers menu using Obdeleven. That would probably give you SWDL and may be the maps files could be imported that way. That's a mib2 high trick.

Seats in mib2 high form didn't have life long navigation FeCs so importing the map that way didn't work until the navigation FeC was adjusted. Fixing the navigation FeC to life long then enabled the map to be imported. Puts the car on the same navigation deal as VW and Skoda for mib2.

What I don't know is whether you can use the backend menu and some FeC fiddling to import the maps. I would think people have looked at that or are looking at that. VAG seems to want all its brand range in mib3 form to cough up for map updates via the online methods.

Attached is the VW Mib 3 map update manual.... for an enterprising soul. That's the process similar to the mib2 high. As said, I've not seen anyone do it yet. Need a call out to the Mib Collective as I call them. A not for profit group of European enthusiasts. @MIB-Wiki I suspect it may be too early for people getting on top of Mib3... may be not. Took a couple of years for Mib2.

Attachments

• Discover_Media_Gen.3_November_2020_EN.pdf
    344.9 KB · Views: 583
Last edited:

WaveyDaveyGravy

But I'm so tasty
Jan 3, 2006
Shipley
Finally got round to this and it actually seems to be doing something! Thanks for this, would never has known the steps needed otherwise.

Tell

Staff member
Finally got round to this and it actually seems to be doing something! Thanks for this, would never has known the steps needed otherwise.
Which firmware are you on. Might have a bearing and at the end whether you recognise the release shown on the screen against what is being imported.

Why I was first excited when I saw it was whether you could get out of the online contracts and just use the map update.

Tell

Staff member
It's now been cracked for doing it offline. I was looking for a Guinea pig. :unsure:. I had heard it was possible on Skoda and VW. You can do it on Seat as well. The map care nonsense has been scrapped with MIB3. Online you pay, offline it's free but obviously runs later on the six-month update cycle. People find having the in car maps a good safety feature if the Google / Car Play fails, abroad, mountainous areas etc.

Read on from here:

Particular this link with the VW portal map update age:

You use the VW download since that's always updated June / November, pick mid-month (Seat and Skoda can publish the updates late so best to not bother with those. Seat doesn't have the November release at the minute, VW does). What is critical is to follow the VW instructions if using a MAC, Keka and CleanMyDrive on the USB once copied, must be used to clear out MAC rubbish characters that will fault the process. Mib2 High requires the same rigour if using a Mac. For a PC use 7-zip. Use the VW instructions in any case. They are the same across Seat and Skoda. All the same map file for mib3.

The Mib3 unit won't tell you there is a problem if it fails the validation due to extraneous characters created by Mac hardware (signature check), that's why if using a MAC you must use Keka and CleanMyDrive. The process should take about an hour of constant power to the infotainment unit + a bit more to catch up from where it left off. Turning the ignition off and walking away, each restart will slowly total to an hour or so. The release number will change when updated as shown on the link. I will write a resource. You just leave the drive in and wait till after the cumulative amount of live power to it does finishes the update.

Tell

Staff member
I've done some instructions now for the offline map update if you give up with connect services but want the biannual update:

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members