New mk2 FR 170 owner.. A few questions (turbo, ESP)

ThirdLeon

First this may be important (im hoping not). Ive owned the car just over a week, drives very well and really pulls, no warning lights, good mpg (45-52 depending on roads, traffic etc)
But I do hear a slight whistle on the turbo when the car is cold in a morning, it seems to go up and down in pitch and most noticeable at low gear low revs. Is this normal? 130k on the clock 58 plate. It is very quiet and seems to stop once warm, but ive had 2 mk1 PD130s which never made a noise like this and both lasted into 200k on original turbos.

Second. The ESP button doesn't seem to do anything. No warning lights but it doesn't seem to turn off the ESP. I cant remember ever turning it off on my previous cars other than to test it worked. But still interested to know whats going on.

Third. Should there be clips which hold my driver and passenger mats to the carpet?
Both mk1 leons I owned had clips yet this new one does not. It came with FR mats that have holes for some kind of locking clip. Ive noticed its easy for the drivers mat to move and get on the accelerator pedal which is annoying. if they don't come like this has anyone found a way to mod them?

Jay sx

Oct 9, 2016
Not all models have the clips for the mats, I have a late 2007 cupra with no securing clips. If you hold down on the ESP button for about 5 seconds you should get a warning light on the dash to tell you it is now off.

R3k1355

Oct 30, 2014
Yorkshire
People often say the 170's whistle abit, you could have a slightly leaky hose or intercooler as well.

People often get worried about turbo's making a whistle, but often it's no massive problem and there's plenty of life in them.
If it suddenly sounds like an air raid siren then you know it's about to explode on you.

ThirdLeon

Thanks i'll give that a try with the ESP button. I was just pressing it expecting it to work like my old mk1.
Looking into finding the parts and modding the carpet fixings for mats

And even though I thought that was the case with the turbo whistle, its nice to get a second opinion. It certainly doesn't sound like an air raid siren. More like someone hoovering next door or a police car far away. I'll inspect hoses and the intercooler and If it does get louder will get it looked at

R3k1355

Oct 30, 2014
Yorkshire
You can also pop the intake hose off and inspect the turbo compressor wheel for damage and play in the shaft.
A mm or two side-side play is acceptable, any in-out play is a sign it needs to be rebuilt.