New owner / member... few wee questions

oedo

Firstly hello! Been lurking here for a while, used the forum in the past as a very handy knowledgebase for all things 1.8T related when I had an Octavia vRS. I sold that vRS 6 months ago and bought a Volvo S60 D5 which although an amazing car in terms of refinement and comfort it certainly wasn't a 'drivers' car. I had it remapped which gave it an amazing 210bhp and 350lb/ft!! But I never felt the urge to actually just go out for a drive which is a shame as I live in the scottish highlands with some of the best driving roads right on my doorstep!

So I've been fortunate to find someone who was looking to change thier Ibiza for a luxo-barge and lastnight we made the swap. So I am now the proud owner of a TDi 130 Sport with some sublte but effective mods...

Aero wipers
Remap to about 160bhp (doesn't feel too agressive which I like so the clutch should last a while!)
Full Eibach suspension, looks to be lowered about 60mm
Cupra bushes
312mm TT brakes
Seat Sport strut brace

First impressions after the Volvo are increased road/tyre noise and the rides a bit crashy but there are to be expected and apart from that I love it! The throttle response from the PD engine is amazing and I'm still nursing some bruised internal organs after my first emergancy stop on those TT brakes!
Oh yeah and I got 58mpg on the way to work!!! :)

Basically it's been modded just the way I like, nothing that upsets the balance and it still looks like a street sleeper and goes like a bomb.

I'm still finding my way round the car but had just a couple of initial questions...

The boot and passenger door are always locked unless I use the unlock button on the drivers door. Is this always the case?

Driving home lastnight there was a light flashing on the dash, a picture of a car with a key symbol underneath. It was dark and wet so didn't stop to see what it was but guessing it was something to do with the locks or alarms? It didn't come on this morning so not too worried about it.

I've read loads about fitting spacers to the rear of the seat cupras, is this recommended for the lower spec models like mine too? The rear does feel like it could benifit from a wider track making it a bit more planted.

Anyway, I've waffled enough and I'll no doubt have loads more questions in the coming weeks! Hoping to make the next Glasgow meet too as I've been to a couple of the Scottish VAG ones in the past.

Cheers for now.

Steve

R1dd1ck

Unsure!
Sep 7, 2007
Par
I can advise you only on one bit. Your doors locking. If the car is locked and you want to open both doors, you need to double click the button on your key fob. I always do that top lock aswell. Your car doors should lock after 5 seconds, so to open them you need to pull the lever twice. But then if you want the boot, you need to open it by pressing the button twice again as it locks when you drive off.

Hope this helps!

muddyboots

Still hanging around
Oct 16, 2002
Welcome to the site !
Sounds like you've done your research and modded it sensibly.

I too had a TDI 130 Sport, then changed it for a big estate (Passat) because I needed the space. Like you say, great refinement, but no drivers car.
I'll hopefully be going back to another Ibiza next year.

With regards to your question...

The passenger door & boot should unlock if you press the button twice on the keyfob. If not, I think it's a feature that your dealer can enable or disable on the Ibiza (you can do it yourself if you have vag-com). Mine worked from double-presses of the buttons - one press does driver's door, double press unlocks all doors. The auto-lock/unlock feature can also be enabled or disabled (and the alarm chirp, one-touch indicators, etc).

Not sure about the warning light.

Plenty of people have fitted rear spacers, including on TDI Sports, think 15 or 20mm hubcentrics are the way to go. Everyone says it makes the rear less twitchy.

oedo

Welcome to the site !
Sounds like you've done your research and modded it sensibly.

That's the beauty as the previous owner has done all the work but chosen exactly what I would have so I've a car the way I want it without having to do anything!

Thanks for the welcome. I never even thought of double-clicking the remote, this wasn't a feature on the skoda but my boss has just confirmed you have to do the same thing on his Passat so will try that tonight.

Cheers

Steve

Ad Lav

vRS...
Nov 10, 2006
Kent
We need pics :D

I have an 03 sport tdi 130, love it to bits.

Rear spacers are great, work a treat, 20mm hubcentric are what you need!

What colour/age/mileage? Mods? :D

oedo

Pics will follow once I've had a chance to smarten it up a bit. Want to give it a claybar, polish and wax the next dry weekend (which could well be next year at this rate!). It's an '02 plate, silver with 84k on the clock.

Looks tidy for the year/millage so hopefully it'll see me through the 100k mark with not too many problems. I can live with niggly faults (had vw's all my life) just so long as the major mechanicals hold together ie engine and drive train.

It cost me £350 last week to have a cracked headlight replaced on the Volvo I just got rid of so hopefully life will be a little cheaper with the ibiza!

oedo

At £250 for a headlight and £1k+ to have a clutch replaced by the dealer it couldn't be much more expensive!

I thought of another question... how accurate have people found the MPG computer? The one on my volvo always showed around 67mpg but I kept detailed records (for work) and was actually getting a genuine 52mpg average over 10k miles.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.