New to turbo'd cards

shantybeater

loving the whoosh
Sep 28, 2007
Bournemouth & Brighton
Hi, can anyone give me info on extra things to look out for, checks and noises etc....

I've heard you are supposed to let the turbo warm up and cool down? does this mean you should only spoon it for a short while then left off for a good period, any help would be great however obvious lol

Forbez

Huge Member!
Feb 11, 2004
S.Wales
Visit site
Spoon it??

Nope, let the car warm up and cool down after use.

Dont thrash it from engine start, and if you have been giving it some, let it run or cool down for a short while before turning off.

Dec 31, 2005
London
lol i take it you mean let it spool for a short while

I dont take mine above 3-4k until the temp needle reaches 90, and dont rag it just before you park up

Even after the the water temp needle gets to 90deg your oil still isn't up to temp -- Which is a good reason to get an oil temp gauge! But it's a good indication of when not to hammer your car if you can't tell oil temp.

Also I've been told from various sources that letting your turbo cool down before switching off is an old myth from when turbo cars used to run on old style oils... if you switched off your car when the turbo was hot the oil would "coke" leaving carbon deposits which could score your turbo and cause it a premature death, aparently with good semi-synth and fully synth oils these days this isn't a problem... But I still err on the side of caution and let it cool down. If I've given the car any stick, I drive the last few miles off-boost and give it a min or two at idle outside the house.

Last edited:

Ninja

Cupra now gone :(
Oct 1, 2005
Reading
www.peugeot-gti.net
Even after the the water temp needle gets to 90deg your oil still isn't up to temp -- Which is a good reason to get an oil temp gauge! But it's a good indication of when not to hammer your car if you can't tell oil temp.

Also I've been told from various sources that letting your turbo cool down before switching off is an old myth from when turbo cars used to run on old style oils... if you switched off your car when the turbo was hot the oil would "coke" leaving carbon deposits which could score your turbo and cause it a premature death, aparently with good semi-synth and fully synth oils these days this isn't a problem... But I still err on the side of caution and let it cool down. If I've given the car any stick, I drive the last few miles off-boost and give it a min or two at idle outside the house.

pretty much agreed with that :)

When its warm though you can rag it as much as you like... lol until it gets heatsoak :p

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.