New very happy Cupra owner, but have a few questions

id3als

Hey all

What a delight it was to find this forum; I have just managed to bag myself bargain 2003 Cupra 1.8T (in bright yellow :D). Was surfing about looking for some advise on modifications and found this site, quick browse of the forum & the following happened:

Stage 1 custom remap (now about 218bhp)
Forge 007? dumpvalve
New TIP as the old one had a hole in it (standard part)
Panel filter
Fabia rear wiper on order
Citron C2 aerial on order
HID conversion on order.
Forge DogBone things also on order

After this I kind of have 3 questions im not sure on.

1) Just saw many posts on the Forge or THS TIP's, can anyone advise the kind of gains replacing the standard one will give? Is it more bhp/torque or just better performance from the part.

2) The garage that did the stage 1 for me said they could fit something like a turbo bypass valve or something??! Said it would fit the stage1 better and allow about an extra 10bhp. Does anyone know what it is and if its a good thing to do? Only cost £80 for part and fitting so seems a good deal for the increase.

3) I would welcome advise on the next MOD :) Im more into performance gains than cosmetic & like to keep spending down to a few hundred.

Many thanks to all for the sterling advise I have taken from previous posts and any your able to offer me now

Steve

Last edited by a moderator:

chris285

leon mk1 fr tdi
Nov 26, 2004
lincoln, uk
i can't avdvise on the first 2, but next mods i would get would be improving the handling and brakes

got some arb's and a strut brace and improve the brakes, if you are planning on getting more performance then these will need to be improved at some point

traumapat

Leon Cupra IHI
Jul 24, 2005
sunny sussex
2. turbo bypass valve?? could he mean dump valve?

if so you wont see 10bhp unless your current one is broken:cartman: but it can improve response and is stronger than the stock one. 007p is by far the most popular choice;)

S3 AKR

livin' the dream!!!
Jun 30, 2004
Colchester, Essex
1 - The TIP from Forge etc would be stronger and more rigid so less likely to deform under the pressure of the extra air being sucked in due to the remap. It won't give HP gains as such (unless your exisitng TIP is collapsing under the pressure - which being a new OEM one shouldn't at your kind of HP). You might think it feels a bit more responsive, but it won't be a huge difference. I did similar with an S3 I had a few years back, but my TIP was deforming quite a bit.

2 - Its not a Turbo bypass!! :lol: That might be a bit in the wrong direction mate! Try reading this though as I reckon this is what they mean. £100 for a bit of pipe......:think:........ I'll do it for £90 :whistle: !

3 - Aero wipers, LCR splitter, wheels, suspension(with 4-wheel alignment), S3 dash vents, S3 upper and lower strut brace, exhaust, full car detail........ The list is endless mate - do a search on "cheap mods" or something like that.

D.K

LCR 225
Oct 24, 2007
se london
Personally I would'nt bypass any of the sensora be it the N249 or the N75, They are there for a reason.

As said above the TIP will not add power but it will be a good mod for reliabillty.

You'r probley at the limit for the Turbo you have so I'd suggest looking at handling and brakeing next.

traumapat

Leon Cupra IHI
Jul 24, 2005
sunny sussex
Personally I would'nt bypass any of the sensora be it the N249 or the N75, They are there for a reason.

As said above the TIP will not add power but it will be a good mod for reliabillty.

You'r probley at the limit for the Turbo you have so I'd suggest looking at handling and brakeing next.

agreed on the bypass. never felt the need

a sports cat and downpipe will get up to 240ish with a good custom/tweaked map. thats about it on that tubby.

rear arb made a huge difference to handling

jwfcms

Sep 14, 2008
UK Yorkshire
1.. The TIP Will give a better flow of air into the turbo, also when remapped the standard TIP can suck in and collapse trying to suck the pipe into the turbo, a reinforced TIP will sort this out. May notice a difference, may not but its a must for a remaped car with standard tip.

2. this may be the n249 bypass, its basically a valve which controls vacuum to the dump valve.

I do see the need to remove it, i and many others have and i noticed a benefit and difference straight away. By the time the air has traveled through the vacuum pipes, valve and reservoir, it has a delay before it reaches the dump valve. when its removed its much neater looking aswell as giving better throttle response on and off throttle and dump valve response and noise. read up about it and do it yourself for a few quid for vacuum pipe.

not sure on what you already have, maybe a panel filter or exhaust system.

Cupra Ross

Breaks things............
May 15, 2005
Edinburgh, Scotland
I think the Forge TIP makes quite a big difference. I'm seeing roughly 8bhp more with this fitted although my previous car had a slightly different map.

218bhp is not yet at the limit, you'll get an easy 240bhp on the original K03S turbo. Sports-cat and downpipe will make a huge difference in bhp figures and more importantly in low down throttle response.

id3als

Cheers guys

I think im going to stick with the current TIP for now & start saving for the sports cat and downpipe.

Might even consider going stage 2 after that :)

All the advise is much appreciated

S3 AKR

livin' the dream!!!
Jun 30, 2004
Colchester, Essex
I think the Forge TIP makes quite a big difference. I'm seeing roughly 8bhp more with this fitted although my previous car had a slightly different map.

That's surprising really as it is the same shape/size as the OEM one, so surely the original must have been deforming ?

Cupra Ross

May 15, 2005
Edinburgh, Scotland
That's surprising really as it is the same shape/size as the OEM one, so surely the original must have been deforming ?

Quite possible that the original was deforming under boost, especially post remap. I think you must be looking at the wrong item though mate, The Forge TIP is much bigger than the standard item, especially where the standard metal elbow narrows to meet the turbo.

S3 AKR

livin' the dream!!!
Jun 30, 2004
Colchester, Essex
You're right - I must be looking at the wrong bit as I wasn't thinking of anything metal - I was thinking more of the silicon intake hose and from memory of swapping mine on an S3 about 4 years ago!

Cupra Ross

May 15, 2005
Edinburgh, Scotland
You're right - I must be looking at the wrong bit as I wasn't thinking of anything metal - I was thinking more of the silicon intake hose and from memory of swapping mine on an S3 about 4 years ago!

Haha, its easy to get the two mixed up, you'd be amazed how many people wouldn't be able to tell you what a standard TIP was if you showed them one. The uprated Forge TIP definitely makes a difference to power output.

SidewaysCupra

Mar 20, 2007
Carmarthen
Haha, its easy to get the two mixed up, you'd be amazed how many people wouldn't be able to tell you what a standard TIP was if you showed them one. The uprated Forge TIP definitely makes a difference to power output.

Totally agree with you cupra ross. Even my mechanic was surpised at the difference. He said it sounded awesome.

The link below shows you the difference between the standard tip and the forge jobbie. Best £120 I ever spent. You don't reallly feel any difference in power but the sound is awesome.

http://www.ottawa-vdubbing.com/forums/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=8651