Nightmare changing sump

Cupra Ross

Breaks things............
May 15, 2005
Edinburgh, Scotland
As per the title, I can't get a socket onto the 1 remaining bolt on the flywheel end of the sump. I've tried using a thin extension bar and universal joint but I just can't get it to go on. I've spent the whole afternoon cursing and swearing, my neck is agony from lying on my back underneath the car for 3 hours.

I'd love to meet the person who decided that the cutouts on the sump and flywheel housing didn't need to line up with the bolts, I'd have some choice words for him I can assure you. The most ridiculous piece of design I've come across on the car to date.

If anybody local has a flexible socket extension bar I can borrow, I'll be forever in your debt

[:@]

Last edited:

Cupra Ross

May 15, 2005
Edinburgh, Scotland

Cupra Ross

May 15, 2005
Edinburgh, Scotland
Job Done! :funk:

To anybody thinking of doing this in the future, it'll save you a lot of time and aggro if you invest in one of these: http://www.tooled-up.com/Product.asp?PID=150259&Referrer=froogle
The sump to engine block bolts next to the flywheel are an absolute nightmare to get at.

Good news is that the bottom end of my engine was spotless, as is the top. I cleaned the oil pickup and found some bits of the drain plug thread from the old sump stuck in there, other than that it was fairly clean.

Took the car for a spirited drive this afternoon and I'm happy to say that there are no leaks :D Also managed to change the coolant temperature sensor and the thermostat so the car should be nice and happy. All this and still managed to get out to the farm park with my wife and daughter :p

Tomorrow's jobs are coilover height setting and fuel filter change.

Big thanks to Dave (DPJ) for coming round this morning and offering his assistance, you are a good man my friend.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members