Noisy Brakes!

limeinagandt

I have had my Ibiza 1.4 Sport since October last year (almost nine months now) and have driven just over 6,000 miles in it. The front brakes squeak and squeal when I apply them in any conditions and the rear brakes groan and shudder when I apply them (on a downhill slope). All brakes make a clearly audible rubbing sound when I apply them.

This has not happened on any other car I have ever driven. It has always done this from day one but I hoped (naively) that it was because the brakes were brand new and they would sort of 'run in'. Mmm.

Before I take it back to the dealer and before they shake their heads and tell me 'ooh it is just the way it is sonny' has anyone else had this problem and/or any advice on what is going on?

I am no car buff nor mechanically minded so haven't really a clue, which is why I am on here.

Thanks in advance, Simon.

Tigrian

Might be your car stood a while waiting to be registered and corrosion set in? Just guessing.

There can be lots of reasons for this kind of issue but the old favorite oxidation is a common cause, usually in the caliper itself and on the back of the pads. Can't remember is the 1.4 sport discs or drums at the rear? I'm guessing discs in this day and age.

Assuming it's discs front and rear it could be that taking the pads out, giving them a good clean and putting them back with shims if necessary and a light grease (on the back!) with copper compound may wave good bye to this. You never know if they are feeling generous the garage may even replace them under warranty (well maybe).

How much of the brakes can you see, are there any signs of excessive dirt build up or corrosion anywhere?

On the other hand it may be a feature of the design like the old Citroen C5 rear brakes where the back of the pads themselves corrode causing them to squeal and rub. Would have thought more people would be complaining if it was a design feature though.

Drove a number of Ibiza’s new and second hand when looking to buy and didn’t notice any undue brake noise like you’re describing.

Don't know if anyone else has a better suggestion?

bigman75

Jul 21, 2009
Wolverhampton
Hi.

Just thought i'd pass on my recent experiences.

My SC Sport is only 2 months old and a couple of weeks ago it picked up an annoying squeak/squeal. This happened whilst driving along and applying brake pressure! I was a tad worried.

I asked a car mechanic friend about this and he suggested applying brake pressure whilst keeping your foot on the gas! He suggested a quiet downhill stretch and try it. Very odd doing left foot braking! :blink: Apparently it's important to keep your foot on the gas whilst applying firm braking pressure.

It's something to do with re-aligning the brake calipers?? I don't know. I fix computers! lol

Anyway, whatever it did, it worked!! yay!!

Just a thought but maybe you could try the same?

That said if it's been happening for nine months, i'd go back to your dealer and ask nicely for some :help:

Good luck whatever you decide.

Cheers

nightflight

May 18, 2009
Sheffield
get it back to the dealers, imo there's no reason that such a new car should be squeaking and squealing, especially form something as crucial as the brakes

Nath.

The Gentlemans Express
Jan 1, 2006
EASTLEIGH, HAMPSHIRE
Sometimes a pressure washer can wash the copper grease away when squirted through the alloy wheel spokes directly at the caliper. A bit of copper grease on the back of the pads will cure the squeel noise and the dealers should do this for you under warrenty.

NorthWalesPie

On our 1.4SE ( 8 months old) if we haven't used it for a few days the first braking at the end of our street does grind a little. However, it is only this one time and does not do it again so I assume it is slight rusting or dust build up.

If it was doing what yours is I would take the car back ASAP!!!!!!!!!

Steve

yusuf_1977

my new ibiza 5dr 1,2 had the same sounds on the front left wheel. the difference from your problem was the sound was coming while not braking. and i have driven directly to the service and they said that sometimes small stones can go between discs or somewhere in the brabe system. it was a shock to me??is it that simple?? but i said ok they took off the wheel and put it back after some cleaning process .but the sound was gone.

john_o

its drums on the rear of the 1.4 !
depends how you drive the car etc
noticed on ours the non sweeping parts are already badly corroded , so I need to get the wheels off and paint them all.
after washing a car its best to go for a brief run and apply brakes to clean the discs.

first check the discs for obvious scores , it should be a solid shiny face where the pad works on the disc.
If there are then go to the dealers

on a clear road sometimes some good heavy stops helps to clear the discs if they have glazed over in general driving. Like occassionaly pushing the engine , some honest hard work does them good (once all components are bedded in)
(dont hold the pedal down if you stop! ease off and gain speed again)

hth
John

NorthWalesPie

It is Discs all round if you have the ESP & EBA option !!

Yes small stones can get stuck. just check the disc to make sure they haven't caused any damage.

Steve

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.