Noisy/harsh rear suspension on a 65 plate ST

rock3g

Oct 28, 2016
Is this just a trait of the torsion beam setup? Now at 56,000km having owned it since about 8,500km. Front shocks were weeping last year and replaced with the stock SACHS which I still reckon are a touch soft.

Its the 150bhp so not independent rear suspension. This will probably be a consideration when I come to replace the car.

The rear seems to be getting harsher, especially over expansion joints/ridges and seems to "shimmy" when going round rougher corners. I will get it looked at but hoping for insight on bushes/linkage/shocks being the likely culprit.

17 alloys with Goodyear F1 2's, running the stock 39psi all round.

Rooster

Oct 27, 2018
Yorkshire
Hi, sounds pretty normal, mine is great on smooth surfaces but does “jiggle” around a bit on uneven ones.

BillyCool

Jan 16, 2020
Leicestershire, UK
My 14 plate 184 ST shimmies a little as well. Never had a reason to think anything was wrong. The rear shocks had to be replaced at 99,000 miles due to shocks knocking and being pretty knackered. This did seem to help the general ride so may be partially a reason to check your rear shocks? If you've had the fronts done, the rears are known to fail.

The 184 has the independant suspension but no idea if that influences my observations.

Speedbird

Aug 10, 2018
I have a 65 plate 184 ST FR and it had noisy rear shocks. They would knock / rattle when I went over speed bumps or drains etc. Both rears shocks were inspected and replaced under warranty last year. Been perfectly fine and quiet ever since.
On a side note, 39psi may be what it says in the fuel flap, but it seems a little high. I have settled on 36 psi front, 33 psi rear (on the 17's too).

Rooster

Oct 27, 2018
Yorkshire
I think that in order to find a more compliant ride you may have to look at other makes, it's not until you drive other makes that you realise how far Seat have to go! My Corrado suspension is stiff but seems a better ride, and that has a beam at the back so it can be done!

rock3g

Oct 28, 2016
I'll try dropping the pressures a touch. Its due an inspection service next month whatever that is so will get a local garage to check nothing is untoward.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members