Non-fault claim or notification of incident?

cheesecakelover

Nov 24, 2020
Recently my car was reversed into in a supermarket carpark by a third party. The third party denied liability initially but an independent witness was there at the scene and the third party's insurer is holding their policyholder at fault. I've notified my insurer for notification purposes only. Only minor damage to the front nearside corner - seems to be superficial.

The third party's insurer has contacted me to offer their services (car repair and hire car). I've been informed by the third party's insurer that this is an accident but not a claim, won't affect future policies and can declare it as notification only or no claim made. They initially told me that I wouldn't even need to declare it as notification only, but I was wary of this and suspected this was incorrect advice.

For future policies, would I need to declare this as notification only/no claim made, or non-fault claim? According to the third party's insurer, it's not a claim because I haven't claimed on my policy. Would appreciate any advice.

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
That sounds like rubbish to me. I had a lorry driver rip my bumper off while I was sitting in traffic. His insurance sorted everything for me. But at renewal I declared a no fault claim. It didn't effect my renewal price or my no claims bonus.

Sparkie

Angling Adict.
Sep 25, 2009
Middlesex
You need to inform your insurer full stop.
Then it will become a non fault claim I believe.
Unless they tell you different due to the other side accepting liability.

Badger5 Custom Map + TIP,
3”Custom exhaust, FMIC, Bosh 550’s, BC Coilovers, ARB’s +loads more.

Cupra_Chris

Aug 1, 2015
West Sussex
If someone pays out (in this instance the third party) it is a claim. Notification only is a lie as it gets put down as non fault (our systems at work do anyway). Naturally you don't have to notify your insurance if you are claiming off the third party unless the process becomes difficult. As an example them not taking responsibility when it would obviously be them.

Greyibiza09

Mar 2, 2021
I had a couple incidents when the non fault damage was settled privately. However, I wasn't sure if the 3rd party would paid up so informed my insurance just in case for info only.

Unfortunately when you get a new quote, all this info is listed. A company once didn't honour my quote as I didn't disclose the two "Info Only" cases because they showed up in the system! Another said because I had 2 Info Only and 2 non fault, they wouldn't quote me. Others put the price up because "I m more likely to claim", (or for being too honest!)

Over the years, I have seen insurance company not honouring or cancel a policy, simply of small minor mistake-Very important to make sure everything is disclosed!

cheesecakelover

Nov 24, 2020
Thanks for the replies. I spoke to both my insurer (Direct Line) and the third party's insurer's third party care team (Aviva). They both pretty much said the same thing - if I get the repair done privately or walk away, then I could declare the incident as notification only if future insurers that I go with offer this option. If an insurer doesn't offer a claim type as notification only or no claim made, then I'll need to declare the incident as a non-fault accident, even if I get the repair done privately and don't claim.

The third party's insurer is keen to handle the matter and repair the damage to the bumper. I've been offered a choice of three repairers but I've narrowed it down to two as one of them didn't have good reviews. I'm trying to decide whether to go with RGM in Swansea or SJ Fuller in Bridgend. The third party's insurer will offer a lifetime warranty on the repair for as long as I own the car.

I'm a bit nervous about having the repair done as I've had to get remedial work done in the past for another car that I owned; two separate incidents - I used my own insurer for one incident and the third party's insurer for the other incident. The damage to my car appears to be superficial - it looks like the paint has cracked but the plastic hasn't cracked - but I'm not 100% sure that there is no damage behind the bumper, so I think it might be best to leave the insurer handle it just in case.

There is the choice of getting the repair done privately but as the third party probably won't claim for his own damage (car is a lot older than mine and is marked), then he wouldn't have to pay an excess. If he isn't claiming for his own damage and therefore no costs to pay, then I can't see him willing to pay for my repair to be done privately.

Would it be best to leave the third party's insurer deal with the matter or get my insurer to sort it? Can I insist on the car going to a repairer of my choice or would it be best to send it to one of the insurer's approved repairers for the lifetime warranty and in case there are issues with the repair where the insurer can then step in?

Last edited:

Cupra_Chris

Aug 1, 2015
West Sussex
So the way to look at the claims process is your car needs to be put back to how it was before the incident. If insurers will potentially put the notification only down as non fault you may aswell make the claim?

As for using a non approved repairer this is up to you, it's your car after all. In the event of the repair the costs should all go to the 3rd party insurer. I would speak to them regarding your concerns.

Just remember being in this position wasn't your choice or fault so you should have the car repaired where and how you want.

Sparkie

Angling Adict.
Sep 25, 2009
Middlesex
I went through approved insurer garage and the repair was appalling.
Was given times and dates they didn’t work to.
Car was covered in overspray etc. Rough edges in bottom of door.
Had to be sent back.
It’s all a bit of a gamblewhen they are getting car after car through their doors without having to have a great track record.
Without being on the insurers list they would have to do better to stay afloat.

Badger5 Custom Map + TIP,
3”Custom exhaust, FMIC, Bosh 550’s, BC Coilovers, ARB’s +loads more.

Greyibiza09

Mar 2, 2021
Double check, but if you let the 3rd party insurance do the work, if something goes wrong, you can't complain to Aviva as you are not their customer.

cheesecakelover

Nov 24, 2020
Double check, but if you let the 3rd party insurance do the work, if something goes wrong, you can't complain to Aviva as you are not their customer.
How can I find this out? Aviva have offered a lifetime warranty on a repair, as long as I own the car.

BigJase88

Jase
Apr 20, 2008
How can I find this out? Aviva have offered a lifetime warranty on a repair, as long as I own the car.
You are best to let your own company repair

However even as a non fault claim, 3rd party accepting liability it can still affect your no claims discount

My pal reversed into my car and accepted liability, my insurance repaired my car and claimed expenses to his insurance. however at renewal time my 9 years NCB had reduced to 3 years NCB (in the small print if a NON fault claim is made)

I did get my 9 years reinstated after i went crazy.

Basically insurance is a con and the companies dealing with it are nothing short of crooks

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.