Not why you buy a CUPRA but...

KXL

KXL
Dec 15, 2016
London, UK
This is so annoying, my Volvo V40 with a 1.5 litre engine...152PS, uses the same amount of petrol as you guys are getting, and you have about 300PS to play with...and my personal opinion, putting 95 RON supermarket fuel :cry: is like drinking supermarket branded beer and not the usual (budwiser, Carlsberg, Guiness etc)...besides with Momentum 99 around the same price as Shell/Esso regular 95 Ron, I thought it would be no brainer which fuel to go for? The RAC however does say thought that V power is the only true 99 RON fuel, where as Momentum 99 is not due to how their 99 RON is achieved.
https://www.raccars.co.uk/news/are-you-a-fuel-snob

Seastormer

Cupra Leon VZ2 300/CBF1000
Apr 25, 2014
Edinburgh (Scotland)
Or when I start my car I need to switch from and to individual mode in order for E gear to show, otherwise it's in D even though it's set to ECO. (I assume everyone sees this and I don't have a problem?)
As I said somewhere else I have never had to come out of eco and in again when restarting car, it is still in E and coasts from the off. I only have the S change to D when left in Cupra mode, but that is to allow for warm up from cold start so it don't rev too much while the oil heats up. Maybe newer models are set up different, as I have the original 2014 280 DSG.

Skyscraper120

Feb 13, 2019
That's not coasting though is it? Coasting means the flywheel is disengaged, e.g, like pushing the clutch in in a manual.

The advantage as I see it is it reduces friction and you don't get engine braking and thus get more speed downhill for free.

Some annoying things though is that if you break it reengages the gear and won't coast until you accelerate again, annoying when following someone downhill whom is engine braking.
Or when I start my car I need to switch from and to individual mode in order for E gear to show, otherwise it's in D even though it's set to ECO. (I assume everyone sees this and I don't have a problem?)

If it’s not coasting than what it is :help:

Skyscraper120

Feb 13, 2019
No. It is still using fuel in neutral, no matter how far you roll. The display will show you in litres per hour how much it uses.
In any case, how far can you freewheel in modern traffic anyway?

Where did I say no fuel is used in Neutral?:doh:

LouG

Dec 1, 2017
Nelson, New Zealand
Sorry worry piston skirts, to my knowledge the Lambda on these cars aren't wide band so how can it control a LEAN wide open situation, EGT's and knock control but by the time you have got that Scenario the damage is taking place and over time it just gets worse, just look at the previous Gen 2 EA888 engines, with failed/failing DI and worn pistons

And now the latest generation of engines have dropped direct Port Injection as well the age old carbon build up will be back
OK, skirts yes, they can wear. The difference between wide band and normal O2 sensors is in the accuracy and speed of read out, but both will detect a dangerously lean mixture and compensate before damage is done. Like wise knock sensors, they retard ign at the first sign of detonation and at lower volumes than our ears can detect.
VAG allow the use of 95, as did Toyota in our 86. Although both recommend 98. We ran our 86 on 95 for 3 years before 98 became available in our town. There were no issues.

Reactions: Seastormer

DougCupra280

Feb 17, 2019
OK - So Today I did the same run with a full tank of Tesco 99 momentum. Very similar drive with little traffic but air temp was definitely warmer today. +-5 degrees warmer than last time.

Improved by 4 mpg. 46.43 mpg in a 2 litre turbo! Made me feel much better about the 23 mpg blasting home last night :)

Interesting result. I'll have to do the same run when it gets colder again.

Attachments

• mpg99ron.jpg
    mpg99ron.jpg
    214 KB · Views: 78

kanyewest

Oct 4, 2018
NW
OK - So Today I did the same run with a full tank of Tesco 99 momentum. Very similar drive with little traffic but air temp was definitely warmer today. +-5 degrees warmer than last time.

Improved by 4 mpg. 46.43 mpg in a 2 litre turbo! Made me feel much better about the 23 mpg blasting home last night :)

did you only drive 17 miles? probably best to assess your results when youve depleted your tank

regarding tesco 99RON, did you notice any engine knocking in high gear/low revs? supermarket fuels dont feel so great in my car. however, ive only used sainsburys premium, sainsburys/morrisons/asda/tesco regular unleaded

Skyscraper120

Feb 13, 2019
did you only drive 17 miles? probably best to assess your results when youve depleted your tank

regarding tesco 99RON, did you notice any engine knocking in high gear/low revs? supermarket fuels dont feel so great in my car. however, ive only used sainsburys premium, sainsburys/morrisons/asda/tesco regular unleaded

Other than Tesco Momentum, supermarkets fuels (super/premium) are all 97 RON aren’t they and not 99?

Deleted member 103408

As I said somewhere else I have never had to come out of eco and in again when restarting car, it is still in E and coasts from the off. I only have the S change to D when left in Cupra mode, but that is to allow for warm up from cold start so it don't rev too much while the oil heats up. Maybe newer models are set up different, as I have the original 2014 280 DSG.

I can confirm my 280 does the same, when you put it in ECO it stays in ECO

Deleted member 103408

There was an article on one of the VW Sites comapring VPower vs Momentum and Momentum came out well.
However they did make the point that it does depend on where you buy your Momentum (does the garage sell a lot of it or not) as the shelf life is not good,

KXL

KXL
Dec 15, 2016
London, UK

They might have changed to summer blend now...I noticed this too with Momentum 99, usually the gentle 10 mile 30-50mph to the GF's yielded 44-45 mpg on my Volvo, for some odd reason yday (despite more traffic) when I reached, it showed 49mpg on the car. like you, it improved mpg by ~ 4mpg.

Feb 4, 2019
They might have changed to summer blend now...I noticed this too with Momentum 99, usually the gentle 10 mile 30-50mph to the GF's yielded 44-45 mpg on my Volvo, for some odd reason yday (despite more traffic) when I reached, it showed 49mpg on the car. like you, it improved mpg by ~ 4mpg.

I tend to find my diesel 184 does significantly better MPG 5-10mpg when it's warmer than colder even if it's running the aircon etc for climate control. 10C mornings on the way to work will yield quite a bit lower MPG than the journey home when its say 20C despite the route and traffic being very similar.

Seastormer

Cupra Leon VZ2 300/CBF1000
Apr 25, 2014
Edinburgh (Scotland)

The only way to correctly get accurate mpg figs is to fill the tank (note the mileage), drive till next fillup needed, and when refilling it again, note the mileage once more. You can now divide the mileage by the galls used, as the indicator shown by the car for journeys is only approx.

Reactions: LouG

kanyewest

Oct 4, 2018
NW
Other than Tesco Momentum, supermarkets fuels (super/premium) are all 97 RON aren’t they and not 99?
i know sainsburys super UL is 97. i havent tried any of the others, only their basic UL but even bp95RON helps my car drive better than sainsburys super UL

cupra14

Aug 31, 2017
England
Please Please Please stop using supermaket 95ron fuel in the Cupra!!!

Minimum fuel quality should always be 97ron these high compression direct injection engines don't fair well on poor fuel quality it doe smore harm than good even if you driving like Mrs Daisy
So you know better than SEAT? Or they've made mistakes both in the handbook and the fuel filler flap?

What compelling evidence do you have and what did SEAT say when you brought it to SEAT's attention?

DougCupra280

Feb 17, 2019
Yes, This is my usually traffic free commute to work. I know it's not a very scientific test but in both instances roads were clear and I was trying to drive for mpg. TBH I was just impressed that the car was capable of it.

DougCupra280

Feb 17, 2019
The only way to correctly get accurate mpg figs is to fill the tank (note the mileage), drive till next fillup needed, and when refilling it again, note the mileage once more. You can now divide the mileage by the galls used, as the indicator shown by the car for journeys is only approx.
I do this too. :)

DougCupra280

Feb 17, 2019

Nope, it seems to run fine. I could not feel any difference between the 95 and the momentum. I have been told that Tesco fuel is the best as far as supermarkets are concerned. Interestingly my Enduro bike hates Morissons petrol but runs great on Tesco fuel. - Really very lumpy

LouG

Dec 1, 2017
Nelson, New Zealand
I'm amazed that you guys have such a difference in fuel quality, all ours comes through the same refinery and is identical. Except for Gull who import refined fuel (E10) for themselves.
The only time I had bad fuel was from Mobil when they started selling 98, that fouled a set of plugs in 200km's.

surrealjam

Jan 8, 2015
I'm amazed that you guys have such a difference in fuel quality, all ours comes through the same refinery and is identical. Except for Gull who import refined fuel (E10) for themselves.
The only time I had bad fuel was from Mobil when they started selling 98, that fouled a set of plugs in 200km's.

I think the differences reported here are somewhat overstated. Yes they are different but in 16 years of driving, I've not had a single engine problem that I'd link to fuel.