Number plate Bulb change

jamalster

I am just about to order new Number plate bulbs for my Mk1 2004 FR TDI, but after doing a bit of research I'm a bit confused - so sorry for the stupid question!

Can someone tell me whether I need to get 501 Bulb type, or do I get the Festoon Bulb? I presumed that I needed the Festoon type, but then spotted threads highlighting the 501, which looks completely different

Anyone able to clarify?

jamalster

Yes I am having the same issue, I am feeling pretty stupid, but I am trying to avoid snapping anything!

Can someone offer some advise, The Number plate Bulb covers are clear, with two slits, one on either side, do I place the screwsriver in there???? around the clear covers theres a black surround with a tab on one side, do I try and prize that tab???

DannyC87

Rubbing is Racing :-)
Mar 4, 2008
the tab on the black surround will pop the whole light unit out, which may give you better access to it to remove the clear cover; but make sure it doesn't fall inside the bumper :) it is just the two slits on the clear plastic; it should prise out fairly easily.

jamalster

awesome, got it, sometimes I just gotta have a bit more confidence!

Always worried about snapping something!

DannyC87

Rubbing is Racing :-)
Mar 4, 2008
on the leon I had before this one mine were pre-snapped when i came to remove my rear bumper; the guys that had fitted the towbar had butchered them out rather than using the tabs..:censored:

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members