OEM sport springs and Koni FSDs

Nautilus

Dec 9, 2006
Bucharest, Romania
Dear Ladies and Gentlemen,

I'm seeking to improve further the ride quality on my 2005 LFR (Continental European version of a LC).

As standard for the model, it has the factory sports suspension and some chassis mods unrelated to the spring/damper combo.

What I dislike in the current chassis setup is not the handling, because it's pretty good, some roll in high speed curves, but not exaggerated.

The faults are as following:

- on bumpy roads and mostly on small but hard ripples in the road surface (rippled tarmac, concrete paved road, cobblestone) there is some "evil rattle to loosen tooth fillings";
- it squats under hard throttle and it dives horribly, almost pushing the nose in the tarmac, under hard braking with properly heated tyres. I have semi-metallic brake pads on stock discs rigt now, if braking system is changed for a multi-piston setup it would be even worse;
- there is some evil free play in the steering while turning on a rippled surface.

So, I'm searching for a type of suspension which:

- is not harder than factory springs, or keeps them fitted;
- does not lower the car more than 10mm or raise it in the front (I can live with maybe 5mm of raised ride height in the rear);
- has stiffer damping than stock;
- has better ride quality than stock.

I will try a set of Koni FSD shock absorbers in maybe 1 month from now.

I would be interested to find out how did the FSDs perform on a Mk 1 Leon, Mk 1 Toledo, Mk 4 Golf, Mk 1 A3 or TT, or other VAG model based on the same platform, with factory stock springs or with factory sport springs.

I did not consider the Eibach Pro spring / FSD shock combo, I seek to get relatively soft springing with stiffer damping if possible.

Is the ride height raised?

Do they absorb bumps better?

Do they perform stiffer in curves?

Do they reduce or eliminate dive and squat?

Thank you,

~Nautilus

Last edited:

Nautilus

Dec 9, 2006
Bucharest, Romania
One more question, fitting a rear shock absorber in a MK1 Leon does involve removal of boot trim and nuts on the inside of the car, or the shock comes off only by removing the two screws which hold it's top mount in the wheel housing?

Thank you,

~Nautilus

Last edited:
Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.