Oil capacity

Mooruk

Jun 26, 2017
Hi all, can anyone confirm the engine oil capacity of a 22 plate Ateca 2.0 diesel 150 EZ DSG 4 drive?

Had an issue following a dealer first service at 9,000 miles. Two days after the service, warning light for too much oil came on. Took it in, they rang to ask if I'd topped it up since the service as they could see I kept oil in the boot... I hadn't, and i was surprised they'd been through my stuff to find the litre of oil I keep there.

Its really annoyed me tbh. I think they over filled and are trying to muddy the water in case there's damage down the line under warranty...

The job sheet shows 5.5 litres went in, which they confirmed today. I don't know if that is what actually went in, but I can't find anywhere in the handbook or on line what amount should have gone in. 5.5 seems a lot, but I'm not an expert...

Last edited:

Tell

Staff member
Well the chart below shows what's in the 2018 Ateca maintenance document. If you can cross check your engine code with those listed. Just on what is listed 4.6 litres would be the TDI 2.0 amount, 5.7 litres would be the TSI 2.0 figure... Looks like they made a mistake. Think you ought to determine the engine code to be on the safe side. Why I always say it's good to have the Erwin materiel to cross reference what the dealer is doing or not doing.

Screenshot_20221225-122538.png

Also with SCR any un-burnt oil if it's an active regeneration goes into the engine well if not completed by turning the engine off during the process, you get the engine oil plus the diesel, so the balance of what they put in with any regenerations not completed would be that. I've never had an engine oil light, I've never had to fill it up either in my 190TDI. Always seems well topped up which I put down to the active regeneration (the ones where the fan is madly run when you stop).

Details here on regeneration:

Mooruk

Jun 26, 2017
Thanks so much Tell for this. I couldn't find an official Seat headed document anywhere on line stating the oil capacity so I ended up ringing Seat this morning. It even took them a hot minute to check, but it's actually 5.3 litres. No idea why it's so hard to find that info!!

Seat guy felt that 5.5 going in is enough too much to be too much... Plus, as you say, what was remaining in the engine, would put the total volume quite a bit over. My call has logged my issue on Seats system tho, in case of future issues, as I'm worried if there's damage they'll try and deny responsibility....

Still gotta take it back to the same dealer to rectify it tho urggghhhhh. I'm going to follow up with an old school written complaint I think. Can live with their original mistake in the amount of oil, but can't get over the failing to believe your customer, and then basically accusing them of some kind of auto based Munchausen syndrome is just a bit too much for me lol!

Thanks again for the help , really appreciate it :)

Last edited:
Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.