Mods mods mods
Staff member
Mar 24, 2015
Ilkeston, Derbyshire

GlekkeMatrak

Dec 22, 2020
Houtvenne, Belgium
Guide now located in the new resources section of the site

I'm afraid I have bad news for you, Lozzy... You've put the catch can in between the clean air suction hose.
This hose serves the purpose to allow clean air to be sucked into the cam area. The "dirty air" hose enters the turbo right on top of it, and comes from below the charge pipe on the right side of the engine.

Lozzy15

Mods mods mods
Staff member
Mar 24, 2015
Ilkeston, Derbyshire
Hi Glekke,

Thanks for the reply. I think you're talking about the EGR system. This modification isn't aimed at that system, it is for crankcase ventilation to filter out vaporized oil particles from re-entering the intake system. I've checked to see what pipes you were referring to and they are for the EGR system.

Many thanks for your input,
Lozzy

GlekkeMatrak

Dec 22, 2020
Houtvenne, Belgium
Hey Lozzy,

at first I was confused about it too, but I'm 100% sure. I had a catch can mounted like this too, and it never collected anything. The big black tube coming off of the head on the right side, going to the turbo, is the line where the can should go. If you unscrew the line going from the block to your can, and run the engine, you should hear the line suck air into the block. That's how I found out. The following images should clear things up:
20201222_093302.jpg

Here you see the big black tube attached to the top of the turbo inlet. That's the line through which the turbo sucks in the crankcase vapours.
20201222_093317.jpg

Here in the intake, you see the hole beneath the black tube.

Hope this helps!

Grtzz, Glekke

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
Oh dear, a major red face for anyone trying to drop out any engine oil from the "extraction" side of the crankcase ventilation system, only to discover they have fitted that catch tank into the "inlet" side of the crankcase ventilation system.

Edit:- currently on this section of this forum, when someone raises a "good idea" it remains as stated and any later comments don't get added to that topic area, which could be annoying for some people!

Last edited:

Lozzy15

Mods mods mods
Staff member
Mar 24, 2015
Ilkeston, Derbyshire
I'll have to investigate when I get chance after x-mas. From previous cars I've worked on this seemed the correct way to work the mod. The crankcase having an inlet and outlet is a new one on me! Thanks for raising it though very helpful of you. For now I'll blank the guide out till I can rectify it.

RUM40MO, what do you mean by your edit comment? Are you referring to the main guide section or the discussions section?

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
Hi @Lozzy15, if anyone looks into the "resource" area, as far as I found with this topic, all you are presented with is the opening posting, it is only if you move into the "resource > discussion" area that you see any added postings, and that could prove a nuisance to anyone who has shown an interest to a topic and acted on the content in the "resource" area, ie they would miss any following comments or changes.

Lozzy15

Mods mods mods
Staff member
Mar 24, 2015
Ilkeston, Derbyshire
I see what you mean now. That is how the resources work. Any updates to a resource can be added by the original poster and they will show up on the main article page. The discussions page is meant for just that - discussion. The discussions thread also appears in the guides forum for the related vehicle too. It's down to the original resource owner to make any changes or add info as they see fit in the article.

Jan 3, 2021
I have seen a catch can by RTMG performance, can I fit a catch can to my mk3 leon fr 1.4tsi 150bhp? I have very little knowledge of the catch cans so any help would be great thank you it has been stage one mapped if that makes any difference thanks

Lozzy15

Mods mods mods
Staff member
Mar 24, 2015
Ilkeston, Derbyshire
I have seen a catch can by RTMG performance, can I fit a catch can to my mk3 leon fr 1.4tsi 150bhp? I have very little knowledge of the catch cans so any help would be great thank you it has been stage one mapped if that makes any difference thanks

Hi, yes you can. I'm in the middle of updating the guide to showcase how it can be done I'm just waiting on parts. The car being mapped won't make it any different from if it hadn't been mapped the process will be the same.

Reactions: EK51MON
Jan 3, 2021
Hi, yes you can. I'm in the middle of updating the guide to showcase how it can be done I'm just waiting on parts. The car being mapped won't make it any different from if it hadn't been mapped the process will be the same.

okay then thanks for the help, do you recommend any particular one? As the rtmg one seems abit cheap compared to others I’ve seen? Also is it worth it on my engine? I do want it to last a good few years yet and I keep on top of maintaining and servicing so surely this would aid longevity of the engine? Thank you

Lozzy15

Mods mods mods
Staff member
Mar 24, 2015
Ilkeston, Derbyshire
Honestly it doesn't matter a huge amount for the catch can. Some baffling is ideal to help separate out the liquids from the vapor but it doesn't need to be a hugely expensive part. And it depends what you define as worth it. Carbon build-up takes time to occur but if you're planning on keeping the car awhile or do lots of miles every year then it can only help in the long run. It's worth doing on any engine that is direct injection, which the 1.4 is.

Reactions: EK51MON
Jan 3, 2021
Honestly it doesn't matter a huge amount for the catch can. Some baffling is ideal to help separate out the liquids from the vapor but it doesn't need to be a hugely expensive part. And it depends what you define as worth it. Carbon build-up takes time to occur but if you're planning on keeping the car awhile or do lots of miles every year then it can only help in the long run. It's worth doing on any engine that is direct injection, which the 1.4 is.

thank you mate for helping me, yes I do around 350 miles a week so I’m thinking it would be worth getting one, is their any particular one you know is good quality? Thanks again

simon

Lozzy15

Mods mods mods
Staff member
Mar 24, 2015
Ilkeston, Derbyshire

GlekkeMatrak

Dec 22, 2020
Houtvenne, Belgium

Lozzy15

Mods mods mods
Staff member
Mar 24, 2015
Ilkeston, Derbyshire
Great work on the update Lozzy!
Still need to re-do mine though.
Once done, is it ok to show some pictures of it as well, here?

P.S.: can't believe that that pipe had to be 16mm ID... clean air enters the heads through about 9mm... My can has only 9mm connections ?.

Post whatever pictures you like, it's great to see how other people go about doing things themselves!

And yes 16mm is pretty big, I had to change out the fittings on the can as well as they were only 10mm! There was a fair bit of muck inside the original breather pipe so hopefully this will help keep some of that away from the valves!

GlekkeMatrak

Dec 22, 2020
Houtvenne, Belgium
Post whatever pictures you like, it's great to see how other people go about doing things themselves!

And yes 16mm is pretty big, I had to change out the fittings on the can as well as they were only 10mm! There was a fair bit of muck inside the original breather pipe so hopefully this will help keep some of that away from the valves!
I'm 100% sure that 95% of the blowby will be collected in the can ?. Where am I gonna find those larger can fittings ?...

Reactions: Lozzy15
May 9, 2021
I'm sorry to say you guys that this is not how you fit an oil catch can on this engine, if you fit the oil catch can the way you did you are only catching the blow by from the head and not from the crankcase, which is where the vast majority of the blow by is!

The EA211 family is equipped with a PCV system fitted on the block underneath the air intake manifold they then have an hose that goes from the PCV directly to the air intake manifold, you can see better from the image below:

View attachment 24381

To install an oil catch can on EA211 engines you have to get rid of the stock hose (Nr.1 in the diagram) and connect an hose that goes from the PCV to the inlet port of the oil catch can, you then connect another hose that goes from the outlet port of the oil catch can to the hose fitting located on the under side of the air intake manifold, you can see better from the image below:

A17-10767.png

I have personally installed it this way, and believe me i do catch a lot of nasty oil.
Metter of fact if i unplug the dipstick from the catch can with the engine running i can see vapours flowing out!

Hope this helps!

Lozzy15

Mods mods mods
Staff member
Mar 24, 2015
Ilkeston, Derbyshire
I'm sorry to say you guys that this is not how you fit an oil catch can on this engine, if you fit the oil catch can the way you did you are only catching the blow by from the head and not from the crankcase, which is where the vast majority of the blow by is!

The EA211 family is equipped with a PCV system fitted on the block underneath the air intake manifold they then have an hose that goes from the PCV directly to the air intake manifold, you can see better from the image below:

View attachment 24381

To install an oil catch can on EA211 engines you have to get rid of the stock hose (Nr.1 in the diagram) and connect an hose that goes from the PCV to the inlet port of the oil catch can, you then connect another hose that goes from the outlet port of the oil catch can to the hose fitting located on the under side of the air intake manifold, you can see better from the image below:

View attachment 24382

I have personally installed it this way, and believe me i do catch a lot of nasty oil.
Metter of fact if i unplug the dipstick from the catch can with the engine running i can see vapours flowing out!

Hope this helps!

Thanks for the info, have you got a part number for that unit? Having had a look I can only assume that this connects to the connection marked red on this picture?
pipecar.png

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.