Oil Change - Recommendations

thekiddy

Hi All

Ive recently just bought a 54 reg Seat Leon Fr 150 which has been remapped to 210bhp. Im already feeding the car additives in the diesel but im looking to drop the oil and replace it over the next week. Can anyone gove me any advise on what I should or shouldnt use and also if there is oil that would help my remap. This might be stupid question to most of you but as you may be able to tell Im quite new to all this. My car has been reguaraly service every 12 months and the oil changed every 6 but I just want to make sure now its in my hands.

thekiddy

PSI Tunning.
The 210bhp includes my filter and exhaust system.

MATTCR

FR
Mar 6, 2007
UK
Ah ha. Sounds as a bloody pound.

Re: oil I have always got my oil and filter direct from Seat. Comes in around £30 odd quid, so not too bad.

thekiddy

Thanks Matt. When Im looking at choosing oil what reccomendation do you have.
My mate has always stuck with millers or castrol, they seem some good deals for both on ebay to be honest.

Thanks

MATTCR

FR
Mar 6, 2007
UK
Ive got a 5ltr in my shed but from memory the stuff VAG use is called Quantum.

As long as it is 501.01 5W 40 I think you'll be ok.

There is a thread in the Leon FAQ page about oils, have a read of that. :)

Viking

Insurance co's are crap.
May 19, 2007
Near Richmond, North Yorks
Ive got a 5ltr in my shed but from memory the stuff VAG use is called Quantum.

As long as it is 501.01 5W 40 I think you'll be ok.

There is a thread in the Leon FAQ page about oils, have a read of that. :)

That should read VW 505.01 5w 40.

Best oil would be (in my opinion) VW504/507 5w 30. Personally I use Gulf Formula GVX.

thekiddy

Thanks for that, much appreciated guys.

I presume most of you stay away from Halfords and get it from the net?

thekiddy

When im choosing an oil is there any type that would damage my car or isnt suitable, or can I basically use any oild that is suitable for diesel cars.

Am I right i n saying that if possible I need some oil that is 501.01 or above and its needs to be 5W40 and not 5W30. What about if its fully synthetic or semi synthetic. Whats the difference between them because I really dont have a clue what those abreviations mean. Sorry if im doing your s heads in now. I just dont want to put some oil into my car that will damage the engine bearing in mind ive bought a car thats been remapped.

Many Thanks

Viking

Insurance co's are crap.
May 19, 2007
Near Richmond, North Yorks
Disregard anything anyone selling oil tries to tell you. Diesregard any marketing bumf about suitable for / recommended for etc. diesel engines. Look at the bottle, and look for specifically: -

VW505.01 - 5w 40 .... minimum required specification. For standard 10k miles service intervals

VW506.01 - 0w 30 .... now discontinued but used to be for extended service intervals. You can still buy it and use it.

VW504/507 - 5w 30 .... Is now the general use specification for all service intervals, although Seat still like to use VW505.01 as they only have standard 10k miles service intervals and not the extended which VW / Audi use.

Do not be confused by any other specifications for BMW, Mercedes, Renault, Ford, or anything like that. Do not be confused with the earlier VW505.00, VW501, VW502 etc. specifications as they are not suitable. Only the red ones above are the relevant ones. Any manufacturer can make an oil with these specifications, who you choose is up to you. As I said, Mobil was cheaper at Halfords than their own brand and you'd be a fool to pay more for Halfords stuff. You may also find that VW504/507 - 5w 30 is cheaper than the inrefior spec VW505.01 - 5w 40, and you'd be a fool to pay more for the inferior oil again.

Is that clear enough?

Hollow

Hi All

Ive recently just bought a 54 reg Seat Leon Fr 150 which has been remapped to 210bhp. Im already feeding the car additives in the diesel but im looking to drop the oil and replace it over the next week. Can anyone gove me any advise on what I should or shouldnt use and also if there is oil that would help my remap. This might be stupid question to most of you but as you may be able to tell Im quite new to all this. My car has been reguaraly service every 12 months and the oil changed every 6 but I just want to make sure now its in my hands.

I'm using Castrol TXT or, now, Valvoline Durablend 5w-40, quiet satisfied with that.

Leon FR+ 150.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.