Oil consumption

jcp

Dec 18, 2008
Herts
07 Petrol Fr with just over 6k miles what should I expect? I seem to be using some appreciable quantity -not yet measured accurately but with my series of Lexuses (Lexi) I got out of the habit of checking since they did not require any between changes.

Marshall

Jul 7, 2008
Bonnie Scotland
Well my 07 petrol fr has used nearly half a litre in 3000 miles (since service) my car has covered 23000 miles I think it depend on how hard you drive it when it's cold. I think they tend to use oil when the engine is cold so try keeping revs below 3000 rpm till the temp gauge has warmed a bit and see if it helps. Kev

Jul 10, 2007
Leeds
Mine used a litre in the first 4K and was then fine after that.

Just keep an eye on it and not worry if it uses a bit of oil, some engines do.

Deleted member 23024

If you look in the hand book it States 1 litre of oil for every 3000 miles is acceptable though to be honest i used a litre to my first service then it seems to have settled and last from service to service

jcp

Dec 18, 2008
Herts
Thanks all- I am just a little unused to an oil burning car and was shocked to find a low level with no warning- it is a bit of a retrograde step like S1 and 2 Xj6s- high quality production and close tolerances are rather more what I hoped for from a VAG engine. How do they explain a return to having to bed in the oil control rings? Things I learned from my dear old dad 40 years ago and Toyota have long since reduced to folklore! My low level occurred with quality oil between 1850 -the miles when I got it and treated it to new oil and filter and 6000 when I decided on a first volontary change to set a pattern for keeping the car. The service intervals are designed for fleets who don't care what the car may be like after they punt them out at auction.
Great looking and wieldy car with sparky performance though makes me smile!

Deleted member 23024

Most people get very confused over oil lights 9 times out of 10 its only an oil pressure light, which will only happen when you have so little oil it is too late or when the oil pump packs in

Dec 2, 2008
Nottingham
Most people get very confused over oil lights 9 times out of 10 its only an oil pressure light, which will only happen when you have so little oil it is too late or when the oil pump packs in

I second that, b4 i traded my FR in for the K1 I happily felt confident that between services everything would be fine.

I was only due the fact that I checked the oil as car was soon due a service and I had a big round trip to Scotland to do that I found I had very little oil in it (not even registering if I recall!)

I had some what carelessly assumed the dashboard would light up when low, it never did and as you say probably only will when completely gone!

My K1 due for its 10K service soon so I will keep an eye on it between services.

No harm to check regularly every 3K miles to be safe and top up

Ingy84

Thank god i read this post, i just checked my oil after driving 1k miles since buying the car(Altea FR 20kmiles).
Thought id been sold a coo
Oil wasnt even registering on stick, 1.5 litres brought it just to the minimum
The coolant light came on , which got me checking everything

The coolant was also low, was this because of overheating due to low oil ?

Will there bee any lasting damage ?

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.