Oil in pipe from intercooler

cubias

Mar 12, 2007
Harrogate, N.Yorks
Hi all

I drive a mk4 ibiza FR tdi and its started making an odd noise between 1500-1700 revs. Its hard to explain but it sounds much noisier and there is a bit more vibration. Are the gearbox mounts prone to any problems? When I wobble the engine from underneath, it feels as if loose at the gearbox.

Only just had time to have a look at it now and there looks to be an oil leak somewhere around the EGR valve and the pipes coming up from the IC. I've just taken these pipes off and there is oil inside of them. Am I right in thinking that there shouldnt be any oil in here?

It also feels down on power and there seems as if there is more black smoke coming out of the exhaust.

Cheers

brad1

You will get oil residue in the intercooler pipes, alot of oil isnt a good sign. Could be the egr blocked up quite bad??

Andrewcupra TDI

Resident Desk Jockey
Apr 30, 2008
in the mountains ( Wales )
sounds like boost leaks ,

i had vibrations coming from bay , turned out the airbox wasnt tightened up correctly

you do get oil gunge from ic pipes due to the crank case breathing all this gunk into them,

see about an oil catch tank to reduce this ,

brad1

sounds like boost leaks ,

i had vibrations coming from bay , turned out the airbox wasnt tightened up correctly

you do get oil gunge from ic pipes due to the crank case breathing all this gunk into them,

see about an oil catch tank to reduce this ,

Very true, if its a hissing sound, you got a boost leak, check the crappy rubber intercooler pipes for splits

cubias

Mar 12, 2007
Harrogate, N.Yorks
Thanks for the replies!

I hope the turbo isn't on its way out GTV, moving down south hasn't done my bank account any favours!!

I'll have a look at the airbox, I had that off last weekend to clean the filter and may have failed to tighten it up properly.

As for the oil in the pipes, there isnt too much, a film inside the pipe itself and a few drops around the ends so hopefully its just from the crank case.

Which pipes are the worst offenders for the boost leaks as the ones I can see (not had the bumper off yet) are all going a bit soft. Are there any hose packages available from Samco etc or will it be a case of measuring each one and finding one that fits?

brad1

Mmm tbh it's the crappy connectors that prone to go, the metal lugs sheer off, and if only one sheers off, every connector has two, this will cause it to leak from one side as the tight seal will break ;)