oil leak help

Nev_LCR

Gone... but not forgoten
May 16, 2007
Ipswich, Suffolk
not on mine but a mates, its running down from the head but its not the rocker cover gasket as just been done,

any ideas where its from??
IMG00005-20090528-1910.jpg

IMG00004-20090528-1909.jpg

IMG00003-20090528-1908.jpg

scottyboy553

Theres a chain gasket on gearbox side,seperate from rocker gasket,mine also leaks down side off engine onto box,read somewhere on here that they are tricky to replace.How true this is im not sure but i will find out this weekend if i got time.

Imteyaz

It is the cam chain VVT tensioner / half moon gasket, you will need Vag Tool 3366 to do the job which is very straight forward to do. Here's the link to the Vortex 'How To'...

forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=4341168

Trublu07

Oct 7, 2008
Essex
In the first pic what is that area. I run a low psi boost leak test on mine today and air was pissing out of the area where that plastic/metal with two screws meet. Stuck my finger under the thin gap between the metal and plastic and could feel it.

Trublu07

Oct 7, 2008
Essex
I can put my finger in what feels liken half moon hole under this area. Should I not be able to do this? I have spent too many weekends fixing this damn car and don't feel confident with this tbh. How much would this job be at a garage?

CupraTurbo81

I can put my finger in what feels liken half moon hole under this area. Should I not be able to do this? I have spent too many weekends fixing this damn car and don't feel confident with this tbh. How much would this job be at a garage?

Yeah your finger should go in so much then the half moon gasket will stop you going too far. If your leaking boost from here during a leak test I would believe you would have the test set up incorrect and pressure building up in the breather pipes thus pushing on the inside of the gasket.

Trublu07

Oct 7, 2008
Essex
I left everything connected and tested through the tip. I have been getting running rich errors and testing with this method found pipes under inlet mani to be at fault. I got the same fault code again today so I repeated the test and this time it was leaking from the gasket. I know that boost tests are usually carried out with breathers disconnected but I wouldn't have found the previous leaks otherwise. When I boost tested it with it connected I only ran 2psi through it as I knew running more would be risky. My car is quite high mileage and I have replaced various hoses as they go these last few weeks, only for the next weakest link to go asitwere.
The leak in the back corner has been there for a while and was on my todo list anyway.

CupraTurbo81

I left everything connected and tested through the tip. I have been getting running rich errors and testing with this method found pipes under inlet mani to be at fault. I got the same fault code again today so I repeated the test and this time it was leaking from the gasket. I know that boost tests are usually carried out with breathers disconnected but I wouldn't have found the previous leaks otherwise. When I boost tested it with it connected I only ran 2psi through it as I knew running more would be risky. My car is quite high mileage and I have replaced various hoses as they go these last few weeks, only for the next weakest link to go asitwere.
The leak in the back corner has been there for a while and was on my todo list anyway.

I don't think you do the test through the tip but instead on the other side of the turbo where the charge is created and also block off the pipe from the charge side of the turbo to the diverter valve along with the pcv and the pipe coming from the crank case. Also remove oil cap as there should be no pressure building up in the rocker. You don't really want to pressurise your tip as it doesn't have much pressure goung through it anyway as it sucks air.

Trublu07

Oct 7, 2008
Essex
That is a different kit. I bought the one made for the 1.8t vag engine. With this one it is designed to go via tip. It's the one on turboboostleaktesters.com. Whenever I have previously had tests at garages they have always went through the tip or the intercooler hose at the bottom of the charge pipe.

CupraTurbo81

Cool but either way you shouldn't have pressure building up in your rocker.

Trublu07

Oct 7, 2008
Essex
I know. It was only way to find breather leak. I have probably busted the gasket even more than when it was just rear of block. Should have bought the evo haha

CupraTurbo81

Aw right I should of said that the half moon gasket will pop out or become dislodged and cause a leak if there is too much pressure in the rocker. Could be worth removing all your breathers and cleaning them out but that is a pure stab in the dark lol.

Trublu07

Oct 7, 2008
Essex
I have replaced them all with forge silicone replacements. That is probably what has happened but when I felt the air it felt like it was from the small flat gasket. It needed taking off anyway (if the leak at the back is the rocker cover gasket?) so just hope a garage don't screw me for changing the half moon and the small one. On a side note what other gaskets are there on that level of the engine that I might aswell get replaced. Mines done 96k so might aswell do it properly.

CupraTurbo81

Just the rocker gasket and chain tensioner gasket along with that half moon. Just do them yourself as they are an easy job. Did you look at the guide I posted above. Done this a couple of onth ago and was not difficult and any garage will sting you for labour.

Trublu07

Oct 7, 2008
Essex
I did look at the guide yeah but I can see me buggering it up and I am fed up of spending my time off fixing the thing. If it's only a coupe of hour job labour shouldn't be that much.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.