Oil Level Light Randomly Came On LCR225

Ash-Kennard

why are you reading this?
Jul 31, 2008
portsmouth
Hello All,

Driving to work this morning and my check engine oil level light came on mid way (the yellow one) so I decided to continue to work and deal with it when I finished so the engine was cool. Checked the oil at the end of the day, level is fine, on the upper limit. Confused, I fired her up and the light did not reappear, now driven home (30miles), light is still off.

I have excess oil in the boot just in case this happened as it had its first service since I have owned the car ~2500 miles ago.

Any ideas why this happened?

I was going at a reasonable pace and the road is pretty lumpy. Does this help? I don't know.

Cheers, Ash

scott180

Aug 13, 2014
portsmouth
Was it constantly on flashing? I think a flashing light indicates low pressure. Could have been momentarily low due to bumps.

Ash-Kennard

Jul 31, 2008
portsmouth
Unfortunately not got VagCom yet or an ECU Lead.

I really should invest.

You could be right with the bumpy road, although I do that route every day and not had any other issues like this. Ill keep an eye out for it from now on however.

scott180

Aug 13, 2014
portsmouth
I brought a cheap code reader off eBay £25 and works brilliantly. Reads and erases all fault codes. If not when your next in my area I'll plug it in if need be.

Ash-Kennard

Jul 31, 2008
portsmouth

Ash-Kennard

Jul 31, 2008
portsmouth
It did it again today! This time on the way back but on the same stretch of road, very bumpy.

Turned the engine off and restarted the engine, light came back.

Next traffic lights, turned the engine, ignition off and pulled the key out. restarted the engine light comes back.

Will be checking the oil level tomorrow morning but I suspect it will be fine.

Fault code reader came in the post today to my delight so I will find the code tomorrow and post back.

Doing stuff tomorrow for light and to make sure the engine is cool.

Cheers, Ash

Ash-Kennard

Jul 31, 2008
portsmouth
Good morning,

Ran the code reader to fine 2 errors total.

00532 01/01 (SRS)
Transmission control module relay-supply voltage (B+) malfunction low battery or bad ground.

16395 01/01 (Engine)
My reader didn't supply data for this, but I have found this:
16395/P0011/000017 - Bank 1: Camshaft A (Intake): Retard Setpoint not Reached (Over-Advanced)

Possible Symptoms
Power Loss
Possible Causes
Camshaft Adjustment Valve 1 (N205) faulty
Fuel Pump Relay (J17) faulty
Mechanical Timing not correct, including Chain and/or Belt timing.

Possible Solutions
Check Camshaft Adjustment Valve 1 (N205)
Check Fuel Pump Relay (J17)
Check Mechanical Timing

Special Notes
When found in Engine: 4.0l W8
Check TPL 2010059(RoW)
Check/Replace Oil Sieve in Timing Case (Camshaft Adjuster)

Any suggestions where to start with this? Is this related to my Oil light issue?

I check the oil this morning, again oil is fine and in same condition as before. but starting the engine the light no longer appears.

Cheers Ash

Josephine

Dec 31, 2014
May be the ignition turned off that's why it is not giving any response when you light's up.

scott180

Aug 13, 2014
portsmouth
Did it not get supplied with a book for codes? Mine came with book. There's a thread on here somewhere giving all fault codes. Have read and erased codes then take for a run and check codes again.

Ash-Kennard

Jul 31, 2008
portsmouth
Yeah, it came with the book but 16395 was not listed weirdly.

Any ideas what the mini disc is for? didn't mention it in the manual and seemingly it is unimportant?

I have just cleared the codes, planning on heading to a dealer today anyway as I smashed an alloy on a pothole so need a quotation.

Shame there is white on the floor!

Ash-Kennard

Jul 31, 2008
portsmouth
Made the trip.

~30 odd mile trip, no fault codes on return. Ill check to see if they come back after a trip to work and back.

also £650 for an alloy! hope the council will fork it out!

747_727

Apr 2, 2012
Essex
It could be something as simple as a faulty oil level sender on the sump or a dodgy connection. J
I assume the oil pressure warning has a separate light?

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.